980 Ti Gigabyte G1 Newegg Preorder.

I was lucky too. My G1 is stable @ 1500+/8000, no coil whine and only audible over 60% fan speed. On auto fan profile it doesn't go over 65%. ASIC is 69.6%. Solid upgrade over the previous 780 ti.

A little update to my situation. It seems my original G1 started getting a little flaky at the speeds I was running. I thought it was stable at 1500mhz then it started to get random crashes, locks etc which made me back it down to 1430mhz and +80mv. The coil whine that didnt bother me at first started getting a little irritating. Well, I called Newegg yesterday around 12 pm and explained the issue to them. Fedex dropped my replacement G1 of at my door at 9am this morning! Installed and the first thing I did was check the ASIC which reads 78. Big improvement from my last card, so far so good. Went into AB and went straight for 150+ core and 400+ mem for a 1560mhz OC while flawlessly running Valley, Heaven, Firestrike Extreme and then Crysis3. Didnt even touch the voltage. I wonder if the current batch of cards have stabilized and are better now. Coil whine is also virtually non existant on this one. Thoroughly pleased with this one and also NE for the outstanding service.Off to UPS to drop of my old RMAed card.

PS..Was tempted to SLI them for shits and giggles but decided not to tease myself. :p

Nice not sure how you got them to send the replacement before sending the 1st one who cares worked out. I believe Gigabyte had some issues more on the early cards sent out then anything. I wonder if they just pushed them out a little too soon.

Nice not sure how you got them to send the replacement before sending the 1st one who cares worked out. I believe Gigabyte had some issues more on the early cards sent out then anything. I wonder if they just pushed them out a little too soon.

Wasn't hard. I originally started an RMA online then called yesterday to see if they would cross ship. She put me on hold to see if it was eligible. I did say I was concerned about it not being in stock so maybe that helped. Or it could have been the length of time and money I've spent(I don't even want to know) but she came back and said it qualified and they were in stock at the time. She cancelled the RMA and started a new one. It is still a rev 1.0 but I'm amazed with it. All good.

Wasn't hard. I originally started an RMA online then called yesterday to see if they would cross ship. She put me on hold to see if it was eligible. I did say I was concerned about it not being in stock so maybe that helped. Or it could have been the length of time and money I've spent(I don't even want to know) but she came back and said it qualified and they were in stock at the time. She cancelled the RMA and started a new one. It is still a rev 1.0 but I'm amazed with it. All good.

I tried all that but in the end the rep told me to just order the 2nd card and if they are out of stock when they get the 1st one back they will just refund me and that's what they did so I have no complaints. They even hooked me up with 1 year Premier for $20 my Premier ended around the 25th of June just 1 day before the 2nd order I didn't even asked they just told me $30 will be credit back.

I'm only at 72% but I was running similar to you but only at 1500 OC with 146 core and 400 mem. I didn't want to touch the mv but I did try it for a little testing and was right around your at with 50mv and 175 it passed FSE for me but that's as far as I tried. Pretty happy sitting right were I'm at.

Anyone using custom fan setting I want to tweak mine some

30% - 40C
40% - 45C
50% - 50C
55% - 55C
65% - 60C
70% - 65C
78% - 69C
85% - 75C

I am pleased with my unit which can oc to 1580Mhz with additional voltage. I may acquire a water block from EKWB to try pushing this thing beyond 1600Mhz. :)

I've got a 78.1% ASIC score and even with additional voltage I'm struggling to push 120+ on the core and 500 on the mem.

I've got a 78.1% ASIC score and even with additional voltage I'm struggling to push 120+ on the core and 500 on the mem.

Drop the mem to 400 and try it like that.Not much to be gained in the mem anyways.

Just got my RMA card and unfortunately, it also has coil whine. I've been returning so much stuff to Newegg lately, I'm nervous sending this one back.

Just wondering - what games have you been using to check for coil whine? I notice some games have it really bad (Dying Light, for example), while others don't have it at all. I'm a little suspicious that perhaps the people not hearing coil whine are only testing a few games and haven't been listening particularly hard.

Or maybe I'm just jealous and I want my coil-whine free card.

Just got my RMA card and unfortunately, it also has coil whine. I've been returning so much stuff to Newegg lately, I'm nervous sending this one back.

Just wondering - what games have you been using to check for coil whine? I notice some games have it really bad (Dying Light, for example), while others don't have it at all. I'm a little suspicious that perhaps the people not hearing coil whine are only testing a few games and haven't been listening particularly hard.

Or maybe I'm just jealous and I want my coil-whine free card.

Or take a look at your power supply to see if it may be the true culprit. ;)

Or take a look at your power supply to see if it may be the true culprit. ;)

Well, I'm not using the same PSU as I was before. Previously I was using the EVGA 1000W G2, and now I'm using the EVGA 1000W PS. They each have different components, but are both very high quality. And it whines the same across each with two different cards. :p

Is there anyone out there who can confirm that their card doesn't whine during Dying Light?...

Last edited:
Got my G1. 77% ASIC, +100 core clock gets gets me 1467 but was not stable. +20mv gets me 1480 stable which is weird. The card is definitely cooler than the MSI. Noise from the fan isn't that bad and no coil whine. For what it's worth, my cooler has the end flat and round instead of the early coolers which were pointed like a bullet. I think this thing can go over 1500 with more volts, but I'm pretty happy with sub 70C at 1480.

Oh yeah, it was ordered from BHPhoto so they may have the newer modified cards if anyone is wondering.

Got my G1. 77% ASIC, +100 core clock gets gets me 1467 but was not stable. +20mv gets me 1480 stable which is weird. The card is definitely cooler than the MSI. Noise from the fan isn't that bad and no coil whine. For what it's worth, my cooler has the end flat and round instead of the early coolers which were pointed like a bullet. I think this thing can go over 1500 with more volts, but I'm pretty happy with sub 70C at 1480.

Oh yeah, it was ordered from BHPhoto so they may have the newer modified cards if anyone is wondering.

Check near the PC I fingers to see if it's rev1.0 or 1.1.

My G1 has been running flawlessly at 1525Mhz using stock voltage. I have abandoned the idea of adding a second one as I am pretty happy with the performance so far at 3440x1440. But I have not played GTA5 nor Witcher 3.

Does anyone know if both DVI ports can do 1080 at 120hz? I run 3D surround and only want to buy a single DP to DVI adapter if both of the DVI ports on this card can do 1080 at 120hz. Thanks.

Sending my card back tomorrow for another replacement, hopefully finally I'll get one w/o bad coil whine. Newegg was kind enough to give me Phantom Pain (despite already getting Arkham Knight) for my patience.

Back