980 Ti Gigabyte G1 Newegg Preorder.

Make sure they have a replacement... I don't know when I'll see a replacement for mine. Nothing like having $700 out in the void.

Well got mine in this morning, installed it, and it has coil whine :/. Bugger. Back it goes to NewEgg for a replacement.

I'm getting my card tomorrow and I want to know what to look and listen for. Is the coil whine happening at all times or only when playing games?

I'm getting my card tomorrow and I want to know what to look and listen for. Is the coil whine happening at all times or only when playing games?

Only when playing games do my card exhibit coil while. Otherwise it's quiet.

I think your going to be waiting for awhile

Yep, I'm kinda figuring that :/. Thankfully I still have my GTX 780 I can pop back in while my card is RMAd.

I found mine has some coil whine (would not be enough to bother me but also not acceptable at this price) which is only noticeable in some menus and intros in games. The fan issues I mentioned earlier are much more bothersome.

I found mine has some coil whine (would not be enough to bother me but also not acceptable at this price) which is only noticeable in some menus and intros in games. The fan issues I mentioned earlier are much more bothersome.

Don't most 980 cards have coil whine during intros and high-FPS menus and stuff? My EVGA GTX 980 reference had it during game intros (and rarely some menus), but from what I read, I thought it it was super common.

Don't most 980 cards have coil whine during intros and high-FPS menus and stuff? My EVGA GTX 980 reference had it during game intros (and rarely some menus), but from what I read, I thought it it was super common.

That's absolutely right, every card I've ever used (T-X, 980, 970, 290x, 6970, 680, etc.) has coil whine to varying degrees when hitting 500-1000 fps on a title screen, it's always been that way. If anyone is returning a card simply because of coil whine on an intro screen they're going to be very disappointed with any replacement received.

Not sure about 980 but my 970s never did. Or if they had it could not be heard from inside the case.

Not sure about 980 but my 970s never did. Or if they had it could not be heard from inside the case.

Yea my 780 doesn't have any coil while at all. And the G1 I'm returning exhibited coil while both in menus and in game (Shadow of Mordor and Diablo 3)

Yea my 780 doesn't have any coil while at all. And the G1 I'm returning exhibited coil while both in menus and in game (Shadow of Mordor and Diablo 3)

I saw some Newegg reviews and some people are reporting that their replacements and new cards are free from coil whine. Mine comes tomorrow - I'll try Shadow of Mordor and report back.

Jesus, can any Gigabyte owners confirm or deny this sound test on the card? That noise is insane.

http://www.computerbase.de/videos/2015-06/geforce-gtx-980-ti-partnerkarten-lautstaerke/

That video is the card at 100% fan speed you can barely hear the fans @ 50% @ 60% they should be slightly louder than any case fans at least in my system. @ 70 % they are noticeable but more than likely you have sound or headset on so shouldn't matter anyways @ 80% is still is not bad @ 90-100% is when they get loud but they were not louder than the EVGA FTW 970 card I had.

Look back a few pages and I posted sounds clips of mine at different Fan speeds. 1 with it next to the case closed and 1 from where I sit about 3 feet away. http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041676324&postcount=116 If you listen to them on the Close up I have a 200mm side intake fan that blows on the video card and that's the fan you hear at the start.

Also I don't have any Coil whine problems. I was able to pick it up slightly when loading a game or in menu and doing a bench but that's only time I heard it plus I had the side panel open to pick it up . My hearing is not the same as a younger gamer mostly from working construction and not wearing ear protection when I was younger. Some people just pickup that sound up more than other's and if you do well nothing you can do about it. Coil Whine is really not a defect but if it's that bad then I would try a replacement or another brand to compare.

Last edited:
That video is the card at 100% fan speed you can barely hear the fans @ 50% @ 60% they should be slightly louder than any case fans at least in my system. @ 70 % they are noticeable but more than likely you have sound or headset on so shouldn't matter anyways @ 80% is still is not bad @ 90-100% is when they get loud but they were not louder than the EVGA FTW 970 card I had.

Look back a few pages and I posted sounds clips of mine at different Fan speeds. 1 with it next to the case closed and 1 from where I sit about 3 feet away. http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1041676324&postcount=116

Seems like you also have that high pitched oscillating sound I'm experiencing when the fans ramp up. If that wasn't there I think the fans would be quiet. None of my case or CPU fans have anything like that nor did my Gigabyte GTX 970s.

I agree but not something that worried me much just figured that's what everyone was complaining about for loud fan figured that's normal for the sized fans that are on the card. Plus my case fans are all 200mm and one 140mm.

I'm only getting a ASIC score of 60% seems really low ?

Last edited:
I just tested my G1 a bit more and it's definitely quiet with stock speeds but when heavily overclocked it gets too loud for my tastes.

If I EVER manage to get one, I think I shouldn't need to ramp the fans up real high in my case with the upgraded 140mm intake fans so close. Hope to find out soon and yes, I will paint the fan frame white

ZcpRDbK.jpg

G1 seems to be out of stock everywhere and no sign of the EVGA hybrid. :(

Get your preorder in at B&H. Their estimate went from July 25th to July 1st. I expect you'll get it next week. I saved over $70 in shipping and tax so I'm a happy camper.

Get your preorder in at B&H. Their estimate went from July 25th to July 1st. I expect you'll get it next week. I saved over $70 in shipping and tax so I'm a happy camper.

Do they charge tax? What about returns/exchanges? I've never bought from them.

EDIT: Talked to a nice rep on phone explaining stuff and I liked what I heard, even cross shipping with exchanges and pay for return shipping, very nice, even Newegg doesnt' do that and no Tax charge. Even he was aware that the AMD Fury X was a "flop"

I went ahead and preordered one and hope that they have enough to ship next week

Last edited:
Do you have to run the Gigabyte software in order to properly overclock this card or can you use afterburner? That really blows if you have no choice but to use gigabytes software to enable overclock mode as some websites are saying you do, otherwise your stuck in gaming mode.

Do you have to run the Gigabyte software in order to properly overclock this card or can you use afterburner? That really blows if you have no choice but to use gigabytes software to enable overclock mode as some websites are saying you do, otherwise your stuck in gaming mode.

I'm pretty sure you can use MSI Afterburner or any other software. You only need to use the Gigabyte software if you want to change the colors of the LED on the card.

There is an extra OC if you use the Gigabyte software from the "stock" OC speed. However, if you're going to manually overclock anyway, it doesn't really matter.

I just tested my G1 a bit more and it's definitely quiet with stock speeds but when heavily overclocked it gets too loud for my tastes.

It's live able for me but I think I'll RMA my card I opened it already with Newegg they said it's valid for 30 days if I wish to keep it for awhile til they get more stock the shipping Label is only good for 7 days so would have to ask them to void it and reissue it. They said I can ask for an extension on the RMA if they are still out of stock but said if I call in when they receive they could just possible issue me store credit.

After looking at Jayz video again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-gCXscH04 around the 7:25 that card is quiet and does not have that pitch you were talking about that you had and I had from my sound clip. If that's how its suppose to sound and the new reviews seem to prove it then shouldn't have anything but that for almost $700 card. For sure his card was hand picked and tested from a lot probably why none of ours had seals ? LOL

I can live with out a card for 2 weeks or so should have wait til now anyways but I jumped early oh well. Also my moms going out of town with my niece for a week so need to get over to the house and help my father out so won't have a ton of spare time. I'm reading that people said the cards are sealed with tape on both ends my box had no tape. Where these some testing cards they sent out and then Newegg got early shipment of them not sure if they request them back after testing ?

Last edited:
After looking at Jayz video again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2-gCXscH04 around the 7:25 that card is quiet and does not have that pitch you were talking about that you had and I had from my sound clip. If that's how its suppose to sound and the new reviews seem to prove it then shouldn't have anything but that for almost card. For sure his card was hand picked and tested from a lot probably why none of ours had seals ? LOL

The hard thing to tell is whether the Valley benchmark was running at stock or overclocked settings and how the mic picks up the noise from the card. That said in that video there is no evidence of the high pitch sound.

Holy shit in stock, I've never throw my credit card so fast at my computer screen! Fuck money, i'm overnighting it!

According to Hexus, performance is stellar but their unit dispays significant coil whine.
Agh what the hell, I bought one!

And like that, outa stock again. So I noticed Nvidia pulled the Batman game for the cards. That blows.....

Dropped mine off at UPS earlier. Was tipped yesterday by Newegg they were coming in very soon didn't know today though. Told me to just place a order and see what happens if they are out of Stock by the Return RMA goes through they will just refund me the money since I bought this one. If not I have to return this one I just ordered.

Talked to them again they wouldn't tell me how many they had but they said it was under 100 so sell these out again which I'm sure they will be by the time my return goes through on the 2nd.

Does anyone successfully run the OC guru for LED controls and then able to overclock with Afterbuner successfully or can you only run both? Apparently, the gigabyte app is total shit for oveclocking so I only wanna use it to control the Windforce logo and afterburner for overclocking

I installed it too see what it was changed to color to Blue and then that was it (it is trash compared to MSI). Then was doing some overclocking with Afterburner. I never really OCed a GPU since thats why I usually buy the OCed cards but this time I tried and I didn't get much out of mine I tried copying other peoples OC reporting but just tuned them down a little from those to start and mine was not stable with anything beside the Factory OC. But I could just be doing it wrong watched some video's so should of been right. I didn't touch Core Voltage wasn't sure on that one.

And like that, outa stock again. So I noticed Nvidia pulled the Batman game for the cards. That blows.....

Did they? I still see the offer being advertised for the other cards. Having said that - the promo was never for this specific Gigabyte model. I hassled Newegg for one and got it, but it might be a case of luck because they insisted the G1 980 Ti didn't qualify.

I'd really like TD to get these in stock (and not price gouge). I have a 20% cash back credit card reward for that site, so I'd obviously prefer to buy from them right now.

Back