980 Ti @ $599?

They wouldn't have moved as many though especially once the 3.5 gb debacle was revealed many more people would have returned the card if they can. Sometimes selling more for cheaper gains more profit than fewer for higher price. I'm sure they have people who studied economics to know exactly what price would gain nvidia the greatest profit.
The POINT was/is that we cant always tell exactly what prices to expect. Sometimes they surprise us whether that be in a good way or a bad way.

Last edited:
$650 isn't all that bad, I might bite. Getting tired of 28nm cards tho.

Forbes article was taken down, heh.

Heh can't erase stuff from the net.. https://web.archive.org/web/2015053...ivers-titan-x-level-performance-for-350-less/

"The GTX 980 Ti is a significant step up over the GTX 980, boasting 2816 CUDA Cores. This adds up to 38% more than the GTX 980 for only a 30% higher price tag, but the clincher is how it compares to Titan X. It’s 35% cheaper and only reduces its CUDA Core count by 8%. A few other interesting specifications: The 980 Ti packs in 6GB of VRAM and a 384-bit memory interface running at an effective memory clock of 7GHz; exactly the same as the Titan X."

"That’s OK, because honestly the verdict is incredibly straightforward. The 980 Ti is effectively a Titan X with 6GB of VRAM instead of 12GB and – at most — a 3% performance drop in real-world gaming benchmarks. "

"That’s OK, because honestly the verdict is incredibly straightforward. The 980 Ti is effectively a Titan X with 6GB of VRAM instead of 12GB and – at most — a 3% performance drop in real-world gaming benchmarks. "

Assuming this isn't all BS... I'm not quite sure how this kind of definitive statement can be made this early on. We also know that drivers tend to open things up for cards more as well.

I find that a little hard to believe but maybe?

Heh can't erase stuff from the net.. https://web.archive.org/web/2015053...ivers-titan-x-level-performance-for-350-less/

Then he posts 59 vs 56 fps -> 5.3% ("worst" one). Anyway, looking good!

Assuming this isn't all BS... I'm not quite sure how this kind of definitive statement can be made this early on. We also know that drivers tend to open things up for cards more as well.

I find that a little hard to believe but maybe?

If all they did is cut the core count, then it's entirely plausible. It's hard to keep 100% of the cores busy 100% of the time.

My wallet grabbed me by the collar and is scolding me... talking about ~$630 Gigabyte 980 G1 Gaming vs $650 for a 980 Ti...

As discussed yesterday the $649 Ti obsoletes 970 SLi. It is now dead.
If I owned dual 970's I would be putting them on Ebay.

Might grab the 980Ti. Only on the fence because I just got my 970 8 months ago at that launch also lol.

Got a question I currently have a GTX 680 with 2 GB, will probably pick up a 980 TI to finally upgrade, but what is next after 980 TI? When do you think the next set of cards will be coming out?

Trying to figure out if I should wait until the end of the year or just get a 980 TI now?

Got a question I currently have a GTX 680 with 2 GB, will probably pick up a 980 TI to finally upgrade, but what is next after 980 TI? When do you think the next set of cards will be coming out?

Trying to figure out if I should wait until the end of the year or just get a 980 TI now?

im in the same boat (780)

but i think because its expensive, and because im still on PCIE 2 with a 2600k I might just wait and do a whole new system.

Just by looking at the previous x80 release dates, the next gen (1080, A80, or something else) seems likely to come out in September or October 2015, but I don't think anybody has any actual info about that yet and a delay is always possible. I'm in the same boat, with a 2GB GTX 680, and I'm waiting until the end of the year.

There will be nothing new until Pascal in 2016 2H. Maybe a dual GM200 card.
The only rumor still floating around is the 980 Metal.

Just by looking at the previous x80 release dates, the next gen (1080, A80, or something else) seems likely to come out in September or October 2016, but I don't think anybody has any actual info about that yet and a delay is always possible. I'm in the same boat, with a 2GB GTX 680, and I'm waiting until the end of the year.

Fixed for you.

Lower tier will be released in September/October 2015 most likely... along with (more)aftermarket cooling solutions for the 980ti

Fixed for you.

Lower tier will be released in September/October 2015 most likely... along with (more)aftermarket cooling solutions for the 980ti

Thanks good to know, so I think I will pick it up for sure when I can find it in stock, question is which brand to go with? evga is what I got last time with my gtx680

Fixed for you.

You haven't done your research. I did forget that my previous calculations put the next x80 release at November rather than August-September:

GTX 280 launch date: June 2008
21 months
GTX 480 launch date: March 2010
8 months
GTX 580 launch date: November 2010
15 months
GTX 680 launch date: March 2012
14 months
GTX 780 launch date: May 2013
16 months
GTX 980 launch date: September 2014

If the GTX 480 had been released 6 months earlier, every x80 release would be 14 to 16 months apart. Fourteen months after the GTX 980 release is November 2015.

Just by looking at the previous x80 release dates, the next gen (1080, A80, or something else) seems likely to come out in September or October 2015, but I don't think anybody has any actual info about that yet and a delay is always possible. I'm in the same boat, with a 2GB GTX 680, and I'm waiting until the end of the year.

Let me repost your ......information.
You are saying upon the new release of the "980 Ti " ...a new family of cards is coming in the fall?

As far as my doing my research.... after the 780ti, the 980 was released about the same time 1 year later. Oh wait, is that what was missing from your "research"

The same damn day this card comes out and people are talking about GTX 1080? :rolleyes:

Some of you will never upgrade.

Let me repost your ......information.
You are saying upon the new release of the "980 Ti " ...a new family of cards is coming in the fall?

As far as my doing my research.... after the 780ti, the 980 was released about the same time 1 year later. Oh wait, is that what was missing from your "research"

The x80 is being released on a quite reliable 14 to 16 month cycle. Going 15 or 16 months would mean a December or January release, and I think Nvidia would be loathe to miss the holiday season. There have been only two x80 Ti releases, 7 and 9 months after the x80 releases and 20 months apart from each other, so I don't view x80 Ti releases as having any effect on the x80 release cycle.

You are suggesting that the next x80 card won't be released until September or October 2016, two full years after the GTX 980 release. Even the appallingly late GTX 480 release was faster than that, and I believe Nvidia will not allow even a 21 month wait to happen again. They're not AMD, you know.

If you think November 2015 is too soon for the next gen, there might be a few Titan X owners who would remind you how quickly the obsolescence cycle goes.

The x80 is being released on a quite reliable 14 to 16 month cycle. Going 15 or 16 months would mean a December or January release, and I think Nvidia would be loathe to miss the holiday season. There have been only two x80 Ti releases, 7 and 9 months after the x80 releases and 20 months apart from each other, so I don't view x80 Ti releases as having any effect on the x80 release cycle.

You are suggesting that the next x80 card won't be released until September or October 2016, two full years after the GTX 980 release. Even the appallingly late GTX 480 release was faster than that, and I believe Nvidia will not allow even a 21 month wait to happen again. They're not AMD, you know.

If you think November 2015 is too soon for the next gen, there might be a few Titan X owners who would remind you how quickly the obsolescence cycle goes.

That is where the 980 Ti reduces the "21 months" of lull
.......:confused: Ok...I guess time will tell. No point in arguing about the future.

Not sure about 14-16 months. It was 26 months from Titan to Titan X.

I'm ready to order one of these as soon as the reviews come out so I know which brand has the quietest cooling setup. I'm glad I skipped the Titan X, as scrumptious as it is.

You haven't done your research. I did forget that my previous calculations put the next x80 release at November rather than August-September:

GTX 280 launch date: June 2008
21 months
GTX 480 launch date: March 2010
8 months
GTX 580 launch date: November 2010
15 months
GTX 680 launch date: March 2012
14 months
GTX 780 launch date: May 2013
16 months
GTX 980 launch date: September 2014

If the GTX 480 had been released 6 months earlier, every x80 release would be 14 to 16 months apart. Fourteen months after the GTX 980 release is November 2015.

Don't get too obsessed with naming conventions - 980ti is equvalent of 780 release. Plus HBM2 is supposed to be ready in second half of 2016. So the if we get "1080" in November it will be variant of gm200 probably.

Looked at reviews. Only few FPW difference between Ti and my 970 SLI setup without scaling/drivers/issues. One card is going back to store, thanks to EU consumer laws and 14 days return window, 2nd has benn auctioned. I should get 980Ti and be $100 in front. Won't be getting reference tho - too hot and too loud. I want Twin Frozer version.

So i've been trying to research this card different version, however there is a lot of rumors, lot of fake photo's etc. Was wondering if anyone know if there will be a 2x DVI-D card? My 3 monitors have only DVI and HDMI and would like to connect all 3 via DVI to enable 144hz refreash rate when in surround....and yes will be getting SLI to get all 3 connected if i can find a 980ti with above mention 2 DVI-D outputs per card...Thanks in advance

v/r
Kaash

Newegg has some EVGA and gigabyte up for order. Charging shipping though on most.

Back