980 Strix temps in a warm climate

Installed my Strix 980 last night - I haven't done a lot of intensive testing, but it seems to be running a bit hotter than I anticipated. I live in the Caribbean where it's pretty warm, my room is probably around 27 degrees C on average, so there's that. It seems to hover around 73-75 degrees under load, and some reviews say it should be 60 degrees, some say in the 70s, so there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus and no real info on the ambient temps when the tests are run. Even the idle temps seem high, to the point where the fan kicks in on the desktop, but that could be a driver issue, it was a pretty rough and ready install last night, gonna wipe the machine and start over later today. Anybody else running this card in a warm environment?

your load temps are perfectly fine. guru3d's 980 strix review was done in a room with ~20C ambient temperature and their card loaded at 71C. i think you should've considered your ambient temperature a little bit more when purchasing your card, as the msi 980's fans also stop completely at idle, but its temperatures are much lower. you probably wouldn't be having the issue you are now with it.

Last edited:
I'll do some more testing tonight. I have AC in the room, but I don't run it constantly, I'll crank it and see if that makes a difference. I also didn't have the side panel on the case installed, so hopefully with it on it'll create a bit more of a defined airflow wihin the case. I'd been looking at the MSI, but the risk of the coil whine put me off a bit. I saw that Guru3d review, I'd tend to trust them too: there are a couple of other reviews that just seem a little too good to be true, like 41 at load, I don't buy that for a second.

you run the risk of getting coil whine with every card, not just the msi.

Yeah, but I only saw one complaint about the Asus, saw a few more for the MSI. Living outside the U.S., it's so much more of a hassle to return stuff, so I'm overly cautious.

Installed my Strix 980 last night - I haven't done a lot of intensive testing, but it seems to be running a bit hotter than I anticipated. I live in the Caribbean where it's pretty warm, my room is probably around 27 degrees C on average, so there's that. It seems to hover around 73-75 degrees under load, and some reviews say it should be 60 degrees, some say in the 70s, so there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus and no real info on the ambient temps when the tests are run. Even the idle temps seem high, to the point where the fan kicks in on the desktop, but that could be a driver issue, it was a pretty rough and ready install last night, gonna wipe the machine and start over later today. Anybody else running this card in a warm environment?

under load i get 65c with a MSI gaming GTX 980 this is at 2560x1440 60hz with full anti alsing on

Idle temps 39-41c with no fans running on video cards and my ambient temp in the room is about 67 degrees.

I have a corsair 760t case with two 120mm cougar fans as intake to cool eight 3-4tb hard drives and one 120mm exhaust

oh btw i have two GTX 980s in SLI MSI

So yes for normal gaming your temps are high and you have no driver issues

you need to purchase better cooling either your case, cpu or buy a new case all together.

either way you are still under spec to operate your video card at those temps. I think it also has alot to do with your ambient room temp seems rather hot around 80 degrees F is not normal living conditions or sleeping conditions

Last edited:
I'll do some more testing tonight. I have AC in the room, but I don't run it constantly, I'll crank it and see if that makes a difference. I also didn't have the side panel on the case installed, so hopefully with it on it'll create a bit more of a defined airflow wihin the case. I'd been looking at the MSI, but the risk of the coil whine put me off a bit. I saw that Guru3d review, I'd tend to trust them too: there are a couple of other reviews that just seem a little too good to be true, like 41 at load, I don't buy that for a second.

if it is 80 degrees in the room that wont help much to cool your components . Try putting a floor fan on low pointing to the mobo to force air on the components.

if i were you i would remove both sides of the case.

under load i get 65c with a MSI gaming GTX 980 this is at 2560x1440 60hz with full anti alsing on

Idle temps 39-41c with no fans running on video cards and my ambient temp in the room is about 67 degrees.

I have a corsair 760t case with two 120mm cougar fans as intake to cool eight 3-4tb hard drives and one 120mm exhaust

oh btw i have two GTX 980s in SLI MSI

So yes for normal gaming your temps are high and you have no driver issues

you need to purchase better cooling either your case, cpu or buy a new case all together.

either way you are still under spec to operate your video card at those temps. I think it also has alot to do with your ambient room temp seems rather hot around 80 degrees F is not normal living conditions or sleeping conditions

Tell me about it! It's horrible trying to sleep this time of year, but I can't keep the AC on too long because my 6 month-old daughter is in the room and she wakes up if it gets too cold. Anyway, I did a clean Windows install and benched with the side panel on, and things are (Surprisingly) much improved: idling at 45C, 72C under load.

Tell me about it! It's horrible trying to sleep this time of year, but I can't keep the AC on too long because my 6 month-old daughter is in the room and she wakes up if it gets too cold. Anyway, I did a clean Windows install and benched with the side panel on, and things are (Surprisingly) much improved: idling at 45C, 72C under load.

Perfect

I used to live in the Caribbean and remember very well the issues with cooling AMD chips. The fan noise was so unbearable at times.

The Asus Strix being a non-blower type of cooler blows the heat inside your case so your cooling fans for intake and exhaust must be able to move cool air in and the warm air out quickly.

I would recommend you take a good look at your case airflow and upgrade your fans to pull in enough fresh air and exhaust the heat. Also check the location. If your tower is in an enclosed area then your temps will always be warmer than usual. The key here is moving the hot air out.

I live in south Florida and keep my room around 26C. I have a pair of STRIX in my rig. At idle the top card sits around 41C and the bottom around 39C, with the fans at 0%. With the stock fan curve they would both hit around 70-74C under load with the fans spinning around 45%. I have since overclocked the cards to +187/+161 on the core and set a custom fan curve. With this configuration the fans hit around 70% speed and the temps on each card hover around 67-69C.

As for my case, it sits on the tile floor next to my desk with open air all around it. It is a full tower case, the original NZXT Phantom. I keep it closed, and it has all optional fans installed except the side 192mm fan. There is one 140mm and two 120mm fans at the front of the case that are pulling air in. There are two 200mm fans exhausting air out the top. And finally there is one 140mm fan exhausting air out the back. The case has an integrated fan controller, for which I use to set the top fans to minimum speed while all the others are set to max speed. My i7-4770 with the stock HSF hits around 65C in applications where all 4 cores are being utilized, but is usually happy under 60C in anything else.

Mine seems better now, idling around 45, 72 under load. I'm using a Haf XM case which has 200mm fans on the top and front, and a 120mm on the back, and it's on my desk so no restrictions to airflow. Happy enough with these temps now.

Funny, now my temps are even better - idling between 39-41 (Haven't really done any more testing under load). I'm thinking it's the thermal paste heating and filling in the micro-spaces over the last few days.

Back