98% confirmed $50 Xbox 360 price cut.

zamardii

2[H]4U
Some extra goodies for this holiday (for those of you who don't have one).

Gamespot article:

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_b...vert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;1

Picture of Ads from the Walmart and Toys r Us:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/archives/walmart-toys-r-us-ads-confirm-50-xbox-360-price-cut.php#more

Source: Pictures of advance retail flyers posted on the forums of Modojo and Cheap Ass Gamer over the weekend.

The official story: "We have no announcements to make on pricing at this time. While price matters, content is king. And no other system is offering all the games people want to play this holiday at a better price than Xbox 360. With games like Halo 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, Madden NFL 08, Guitar Hero III, and Rock Band to name a few, we have the greatest holiday lineup in video game history."--A Microsoft spokesman getting extra mileage from the response to the last 360 price-cut rumor.

What we heard: Earlier this month, a leaked newspaper ad for Circuit City broke the news that Sony planned to drop the price of the PlayStation 3 by $100. Several days later at the E3 Media and Business Summit, Sony went ahead and announced the 60GB PS3's new $499 price point--and its sudden discontinuation.

History could be repeating itself in near-record time, as leaks from the retail sector have been making the rounds, stating that an Xbox 360 price drop is imminent. Over the weekend, a Modojo forum-goer posted a scan of what is apparently a Wal-Mart ad promoting a $349 Premium Xbox 360. The small scan doesn't clearly give details about any possible price drop for the Core or Elite models of Microsoft's system.

The Modojo scan was later backed up by a scan of a Toys "R" Us ad from the Cheap Ass Gamer forums. That ad shows the Premium Xbox 360 selling for $349.99, but likewise gives no such indication about a drop for the Core or Elite systems.

Given the lead time on newspaper ads like these, it's likely both fliers are set to be distributed on Sunday, August 13. That would be the first ad-packed Sunday paper after August 8, the supposed price cut date reported on last week by the Hollywood Reporter.

It's clear that a number of retailers are expecting an Xbox 360 price cut next week, so much so that they're willing to buy print advertising for it. If that's the case, Microsoft almost certainly told them to expect a price cut, and when it would be fine to start promoting it. When Microsoft actually decides to announce it remains to be seen, although sources close to the software giant are grousing through back channels that the discounting's cover has already been blown.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus.

Big mistake. MS could have really put the screws to Sony with $100 price cut this holiday season and given Nintendo's shortages, the Core could have seen decent sales at $200.

I don't see $50 making much of a difference. It's still over the magical $300 price barrier for the most popular version of the console, the Pro.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1213339

Yup. I'll say here what I said there. There's a good likelyhood this is the first of 2 pricecuts this year. If we don't get a second price cut we will get a bundle too. Current rumour is:

I have it coming from a reliable source that CURRENTLY

The Core will drop to 279
The Premium will drop to 349
The Elite will drop to 449

This will clear out the inventory of the Premium which is the most manufactured 360 and the most sold as they know Premium will sell the most until the demand for Elites pick up in 2008. Elites and Cores have relatively the same manufacturing percentage: low at the moment until FALL this year.

When the 65 nm processor falcons are introduced across all SKUs, the holiday season, a month or so after Halo 3 will see the core drop to $249, The Premium will drop to $299 and the Elite will drop to $399

The Core, Premium and Elite Falcons will have a redesigned motherboard which includes HDMI across all SKUs, a quieter DVD Drive and the falcons will STILL have an extra fan heatsink as Microsoft is not prepared to take anymore risks.

The Falcon will reduce the cost to manufacture the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU by ~40-50% but Microsoft will incure additional costs on the new fans and HDMI across all SKUs. Still at the 249,299 and 399 price, Microsoft will expect a profit from the console by early 2008 when the Q4 results are announced.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1213339

Yup. I'll say here what I said there. There's a good likelyhood this is the first of 2 pricecuts this year. If we don't get a second price cut we will get a bundle too. Current rumour is:

It sucks they didn't really think when they designed the console.. that 40-50% is great great in a cut of costs, but i bet it's added right back on witht he addition of the other components.

they are really shafting the old adopters if this is true.

It sucks they didn't really think when they designed the console.. that 40-50% is great great in a cut of costs, but i bet it's added right back on witht he addition of the other components.

Why are they shafting anyone? The system will be nearly two years old by the time 65nm is on shelves. I guess the PS2 slim shafted original PS2 buyers, too...

Oh, and a 40-50% cut in CPU and GPU costs are WAY MORE than adding HDMI and a heat sink to the unit. It's not even close. The CPU and GPU costs are probably over 50% of the cost for the entire unit while a heat sink is about $5 and HDMI might be $15, tops.

I don't understand. 65nm was always planned, as will 45nm be after that. Not sure where you're getting the additional components cost from.

As for old adopters being screwed. Not really any different to the PS2 models that fixed the DRE problems or the DS Lite with better screen. You obviously still have a console that plays the games you want.

Why are they shafting anyone? The system will be nearly two years old by the time 65nm is on shelves. I guess the PS2 slim shafted original PS2 buyers, too...

Oh, and a 40-50% cut in CPU and GPU costs are WAY MORE than adding HDMI and a heat sink to the unit. It's not even close. The CPU and GPU costs are probably over 50% of the cost for the entire unit while a heat sink is about $5 and HDMI might be $15, tops.

Well maybe the cost of those components won't be too much, i'm not sure how the whole hardware aspect works on the 360, but i figured it would be more than just adding the output.

And they are shafting early adopters for the sole fact that so many consoles have to be sent back in to be fixed. Sure, you have a 3 year warranty, but waiting a few weeks to get it fixed is ridiculous. New adopters (hopefully) won't have to worry about the RROD problems and I bet old adopters will end up shelling out the cash for these new units, too. What they should do is send these rumored new units to people who send theirs in to get fixed, at least they have a peace of mind that it won't have the same issues.

Well maybe the cost of those components won't be too much, i'm not sure how the whole hardware aspect works on the 360, but i figured it would be more than just adding the output.

And they are shafting early adopters for the sole fact that so many consoles have to be sent back in to be fixed. Sure, you have a 3 year warranty, but waiting a few weeks to get it fixed is ridiculous. New adopters (hopefully) won't have to worry about the RROD problems and I bet old adopters will end up shelling out the cash for these new units, too. What they should do is send these rumored new units to people who send theirs in to get fixed, at least they have a peace of mind that it won't have the same issues.

Yes, we all know about the RRoD issues but I don't see how that applies to MS moving to 65nm process and dropping the price...

Besides, the refurbs people are getting now have the additional heat sink. We don't know if that solves the problem yet but I would have to think that after MS blundered the original design so badly, they made damned sure that this fix completely corrects the problem.

Anyway, this is all completely off-topic. If you want to bitch about the RRoD, there are at least 50 other threads on this forum to do so.

Yes, we all know about the RRoD issues but I don't see how that applies to MS moving to 65nm process and dropping the price...

Besides, the refurbs people are getting now have the additional heat sink. We don't know if that solves the problem yet but I would have to think that after MS blundered the original design so badly, they made damned sure that this fix completely corrects the problem.

Anyway, this is all completely off-topic. If you want to bitch about the RRoD, there are at least 50 other threads on this forum to do so.

Well, the price drop will get rid of existing stock most likely. The RROD is definitely something they thought about when redesigning the console, so it does apply.

Anyway, this whole 50$ price drop isn't really significant at all. I don't know why they'd push for just 50$ right now. Seems to make more sense to wait and just do the 100$ drop, or drop it 100$ now to get rid of everything if these new systems are due out by christmas.

You know 98% makes me doubt it more than 75%..haha that 1% of doubt that you leave by not going to 99% makes me doubt it more than 75% which is a solid number:p haha just my thoughts on that.

Anyway, this whole 50$ price drop isn't really significant at all. I don't know why they'd push for just 50$ right now. Seems to make more sense to wait and just do the 100$ drop, or drop it 100$ now to get rid of everything if these new systems are due out by christmas.
Three reasons.

1: They need to get rid of the non 65nm stock. That stuff cost more to build and it costs more to maintain. They don't want to lose even more by pricecutting it too far.

2: This gives the 360 a little boost before Halo 3 and GTA 4 - Making average joe more likely to pick up the 360 version of GTA 4 than they would have been if there was only a $100 dollar
difference between the cost of the PS3 and 360.

3: Another price drop or bundle before xmas lets them continue the momentum from halo / gta and will let them counter any further price drop Sony puts on the table. (Given we're pretty much expecting Sony to price drop the $599 80gb to $499 once the 60gb is gone).

The heatsink will be at *most* $1 or 2, and the HDMI probably won't add more than $3 to the cost.

I still think $50 cut is too little, but I guess we'll see.

The heatsink will be at *most* $1 or 2, and the HDMI probably won't add more than $3 to the cost.

I still think $50 cut is too little, but I guess we'll see.

I was being very generous with my cost estimations. :D

I agree about $50 being too little but if they drop it again by $50 in October or November when Falcon is on shelves, that would make sense.

Three reasons.

1: They need to get rid of the non 65nm stock. That stuff cost more to build and it costs more to maintain. They don't want to lose even more by pricecutting it too far.

2: This gives the 360 a little boost before Halo 3 and GTA 4 - Making average joe more likely to pick up the 360 version of GTA 4 than they would have been if there was only a $100 dollar
difference between the cost of the PS3 and 360.

3: Another price drop or bundle before xmas lets them continue the momentum from halo / gta and will let them counter any further price drop Sony puts on the table. (Given we're pretty much expecting Sony to price drop the $599 80gb to $499 once the 60gb is gone).

I think, sir, that your argument is well reasoned and logical. I suspect you might be exactly right.

therefore, I'll avoid the $50 price drop models on the assumption they're "old stock", and wait for price drop #2, which should, hypothetically, mean that the newer revised models are available.

What you people are missing is the difference in price already, the larger the cut on a lower cost model is a bigger hit then on something thats already more money:

Sony price different $500/$600 is 83%

Xbox360 different $350/$400 is 87%

Its enough, their price cut is fairly close to what Sony did with theirs, with a full $100 MS is at 75%, which is a considerable chunk, they already lowered it by 13%, but to go at 25% is a major discount, I think they should leave that up to the stores if they want to sell the console really fast.

So if you think about percentages in price drop MS came within 5% of the total price drop Sony did which is fairly comparable, if they were interested in mass selling consoles they could, but not even a behemoth company like MS would want to loose that much money.

I really wish they'd just hurry up with the "Falcon" 65nm and quieter DVD drive.

My guess is that they're gonna drop $50 in the next week or so to start clearing out inventory for the newer Falcon revision (read: cheaper) and then drop the price another $50 Q1 2008.

Personally I think the $50 price drop is pretty fucking weak. I'd rather them include a bundled game thats worth $60. :rolleyes:

Personally I think the $50 price drop is pretty fucking weak. I'd rather them include a bundled game thats worth $60. :rolleyes:

(1) The price cut lowers the initial price that someone would have to pay for the console. This is important.

(2) 360 bundles have been going on at the retailer level for quite some time now. Skim through the Sunday fliers and you'll find that they've been pretty common.

(3) What is someone looking for a 360 doesn't care for the bundled game? Personally I'd take the $50 price cut on the hardware any day. This way, I can put the savings toward any game that I want.

(1) The price cut lowers the initial price that someone would have to pay for the console. This is important.

(2) 360 bundles have been going on at the retailer level for quite some time now. Skim through the Sunday fliers and you'll find that they've been pretty common.

(3) What is someone looking for a 360 doesn't care for the bundled game? Personally I'd take the $50 price cut on the hardware any day. This way, I can put the savings toward any game that I want.

1) Very true, many consumers see a price cut and jump all over it. Yet again we have the enthusiasts who know about better hardware, and they will tell there friends to wait for it, plus maybe another price cut.

2)Bundles are usually horrible games that are second/third rate that they have overstock of, why do you think they bundle it?

3)This is very true, but hardware such as another wireless controller is many times more tempting for people as they want their friends to be able to play, and normally they have already allowed for console price + one game in what they want to spend, so free hardware is more of a bonus.

Just my two cents on the price cut.
Good move for MS, but will it really boost sales again? Maybe, a $75+ price cut definitely would have or adding hardware to a console bundle.

3)This is very true, but hardware such as another wireless controller is many times more tempting for people as they want their friends to be able to play, and normally they have already allowed for console price + one game in what they want to spend, so free hardware is more of a bonus.

Thought I should point out that warehouse stores like Sam's and Costco have offered some great bundles for the 360 for quite some time now. When I bought my first 360 [I migrated to an Elite] I picked it up at Sam's along with a second wireless controller and a play-and-charge kit for $440.

Looks like Circuit City Confirmed the price cuts with their ad:

Premium will be $350
Elite will be $450
Core will be $280

So, the core is still a ripoff, haha

The core will always be a ripoff, until it is ~$150 dollars.
I think at this point many people who buy the core are just buying one because either their 360 broke (hard drive, controllers, etc. still work), or maybe their account got banned. So why should they have to pay some premium for the system?

100% confirmed. $50 price drop on 360 all around. By that I mean for Elite and everything. And not only that, but in the Circuit City add it shows you get a free copy of Rockstar's Table Tennis with the 360 Premium. Good news for all!!!

add:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/jaded2001/ccproof.jpg

But, I had to, had to post this. I still can't stop laughing. A guy posted it on the 1UP forum like this...

Microsoft explains price drop

100% confirmed. $50 price drop on 360 all around. By that I mean for Elite and everything. And not only that, but in the Circuit City add it shows you get a free copy of Rockstar's Table Tennis with the 360 Premium. Good news for all!!!

add:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/jaded2001/ccproof.jpg

But, I had to, had to post this. I still can't stop laughing. A guy posted it on the 1UP forum like this...

Microsoft explains price drop

damnit, I was NOT expecting to be Rick Roll'D

:D

Nice to see a price drop coming in, very cool. I wan't to jump all over an Elite :/

For having a sence of humor? It just goes to a music video... sheesh.

Rickrolling is one of the most annoying things to happen to forums recently. Still some way short of tubgirl, but still utterly pointless. (and that's got nothing to do with having a sense of humour)

Rickrolling is one of the most annoying things to happen to forums recently. Still some way short of tubgirl, but still utterly pointless. (and that's got nothing to do with having a sense of humour)

It's spreading like wild fire. :p

Better than the legendary Goatsie or TubGirl. :eek:

Like all novelty online fads, it's funny at first if you understand the story behind it. But just like any novelty online fad, it get ridiculously annoying when picked up by every little kid that uses the internet..

On topic, I agree that M$ should just have gone with a one time 100$ drop and hell, why not think of an additional 25$ off before xmas? Nothing wrong with a little profit loss if it gives you an edge over your competition, eh?

Are you serious? I mean, Tubgirl was the most disgusting, offensive shit i've ever seen next to ♥♥♥♥♥♥e. That is just a good spit of humor in my opinion. But then again, I thought it was hilarious b/c it was the first time that happened to me, and I did not know what it meant, and I started watching the music video, and then I understood. I won't do it again then if the mods have a problem with it.
But

Response to Oneil above. I read on another forum that some people were frustrated with the price drop... well, i'll let them explain it..

--The Xbox followed with a price drop from $299.99 to $199.99 only about half a year into its lifespan. Nintendo also dropped only half a year into its lifespan from $199.99 to $149.99."

--Exactly, it's frustrating that Microsoft isn't willing to take off as much as they did before.

I don't know if this has any bearing whatsoever, because I think coupled with a $50 price drop, and the games coming out this holiday, it's going to be great for it. And, idk when the revised version is coming out, but if it comes out before the holidays also, then it'll be even better for sales.

Does anybody think they will advertise the 360 differently once they bring out the 65nm version?

Back