9700kf Hi temps and hi Voltage...

Leachdude

n00b
Just picked up a 9700KF and a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Motherboard. Using a Noctua NH-U9S for cooling.

I dont have any overclock settings, its basically all on auto with enhanced multi core performance turned off.

Voltage is high 1.416 at times and temps are 99c, causing thermal throttling.

I also still see all cores going up to 4.8 (I thought it should only go to 4.6 with the MCE turned off.)

I tried to set the vcore to 1.2 manually and windows will not even boot up.

Its been since the Sandy Bridge days since I built a new s system, I am kind of stumped on what could be causing this?

Bad Processor, bad Motherboard, just wrong settings?

Please help it you have any advice!

Thanks

Try setting the voltage to 1.25 and see what happens.

I just picked up a 9700K with the Pro Wifi Aorus board.

Did you attempt to use EZ Tune? EZ Tune will set a voltage that is way out of line. Don't OC with it if you can.

Is the cooler seated correctly with the proper amount of TIM? I know it sounds silly just narrowing down the possible issues.

Any LED errors on the MB? Lower right corner next to front panel header.

I would go back into the bios and reset the defaults to optimized and set XMP for the ram. Boot into windows and see if all runs fine. Do a basic stress test like OCCT or AIDA.

If the chip runs fine with the stock bios settings then something got screwed up in the settings. Grab Gigabytes Z390 OC manual, yes its for the 9900K but it works for 9700K(F), or tweaktowns guide and follow that.

I was shocked how easy the 9XXX chips are to OC. I basically set the multiplier to 50, voltage to 1.3, and LLC to Turbo. The chip immediately ran at 5Ghz without issues. Just be cautious of testing with Prime95 since that will make me get near 100º with AVX. Handbrake stays under 80 yet prime was 95-100.

If you reset your settings in the bios and it still runs super hot then check your cooler. If it all appears fine/normal then you might have just lost the silicon lottery or have a bad MB. You can try to swap your MB first since it is delivering power to your CPU and it appears to be pushing way too much voltage. If with a new MB the chip still acts up then swap it out.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the adivce...

1.25v and it freezes up just starting prime. Windows will boot up.

I did not use EZ Tune. I did load it just to see what it would do. It wanted to OC to 4.9.

I reseated the cooler to make sure, it did not help.

No LED errors.

I did a BIOS reset and no changes.

A buddy is coming over tonight with another compatible mobo and a 9700k processor. We are going to swap things around and see if we can nail it down to what is acting up.

I will post results..

Thanks for the adivce...

I did not use EZ Tune. I did load it just to see what it would do. It wanted to OC to 4.9.

No LED errors.

A buddy is coming over tonight with another compatible mobo and a 9700k processor. We are going to swap things around and see if we can nail it down to what is acting up.

I will post results..

If you disable MCE, you need to set all the bios settings manually. You probably forgot to set Loadline Calibration. Set it to Turbo and 1.25v. Also max out the power and current limits and current protection limits in the advanced power settings.

Thanks for the adivce...

No LED errors.

I will post results..

Sorry but I stopped using prime a while ago due to unrealistic stress and heat on the CPU.

Have you tried any other tool to test the CPU and your OC? AIDA64, OCCT, or ROG Real Bench?

If you reset your BIOS where is the 1.25v coming from?

Last edited:
Thanks for the adivce...

No LED errors.

I will post results..
Any updates?

If you were hitting 1.4V and 99C just in Prime then I wouldn't worry about it. My 9900K will hit 110C with its 5GHz all-core OC in Prime, but never goes above 70C doing regular work and gaming with it. In other words, I would log temp and voltage doing what you normally do with your PC and align your approach with those results instead of using a benchmarking software that does work your CPU will never see.

The end result was a bad CPU. Once the chip hit 4.6 it was overvolting itself for some reason. 4.5 was fine. I sent the CPU back to NEWEGG and went to microcenter and bought the 9700k instead of the KF. No problems with that one.

The end result was a bad CPU. Once the chip hit 4.6 it was overvolting itself for some reason. 4.5 was fine. I sent the CPU back to NEWEGG and went to microcenter and bought the 9700k instead of the KF. No problems with that one.

Good that you found your issue.
Any updates?

If you were hitting 1.4V and 99C just in Prime then I wouldn't worry about it. My 9900K will hit 110C with its 5GHz all-core OC in Prime, but never goes above 70C doing regular work and gaming with it. In other words, I would log temp and voltage doing what you normally do with your PC and align your approach with those results instead of using a benchmarking software that does work your CPU will never see.

This is precisely what the AVX offset setting is for.

Back