9700K Liquid Metal WithOut Delid??

RedJamaX

n00b
Has anybody tried this yet? It seems that most people using Liquid Metal are always going through the delid process... at least, that's all I can find with any results posted online.

With the 9700K, Intel has returned to a soldered IHS.... I and I've seen several reviews that show how Liquid Metal between the Die and the IHS is better than the solder. BUT, I can't seem to find anything where Liquid Metal is being used just between the IHS and the Heat Sink, without delidding.

I am aware of the staining / pitting issues some people have experienced... and I am also aware that the nickel plated copper heatsinks appear to fair much better in that regard as compared to polished copper. As it turns out, I will be pairing the 9700K with the Silverstone NT06-Pro, which is nickel plated. I am sure that "quality" / "purity" of the heatsink is likely also a factor, but I would assume that Silverstone is making a quality product.

Back to my original question... does anybody have a link to test results for using Liquid Metal on a 9000 series Intel without delidding?

Thanks.

I don't have recent results, but the general consensus was pretty much it doesn't net you much except maybe 1-2C in the best conditions and you have all the extra headaches with conductivity and pitting, etc.

https://hardforum.com/threads/liquid-metal-tims-experiences.1890422/

I personally wouldn't use it again. I had some on my 3770k and all it did was make a mess of my HSF.

Pretty much this. I don't use LM on anything but on the die for delids, it is nowhere as easy to clean up as regular TIM and is conductive so you don't want it accidentally ending up anywhere else.

Been using LM for years on everything. Take your time and precautions and you'll be fine.

I get tired of people saying it has to be replaced often. I have active installations of it that are over five years old, and they are without issue. Proper installation is paramount

What others have said, it's not worth the added expense and effort required to get a good seat to only gain at most 1-2c better cooling.

Back