9700K $199 Micro Center (plus $20 off MB)

New you won't, but in the used market you should find deals, especially if availability on the 5XXX parts is good as people upgrade. I would think by January you should be able to get a 3900x in the $300-350 range used pretty regularly. You might get someplace like MC to blow out existing stock (if there is any), much like these Intel deals, but it will be rare.
I bought my 3900x for $370 NIB from microcenter a few months ago, so I hope they fall under $300....

I have a 3950x build with 64gbs and a FE 3080 that mitigates your off-topic thread crap bullying attack on me. MODS?

I also have my new 10900K build with a 3090.

They are both great systems.

I know more Intel desktop guys than AMD. That's not going to change with Ryzen 3. Ryzen 3 gains gaming performance @ 1080p ... if you move up to 1440p and 4K ... yeah, not really.

I sure wouldn't tell anyone to spend $600 with tax on a 5800x over a 9900k @ $299 especially if they are gaming at 1440p or 4k. That's all I'm saving. Has nothing to do with being a fanboy.

@ the end of the day, just get what you enjoy, can afford. AMD seems to raised their pricing a bit. Intel might seriously drop their pricing until the 11900K comes out and even that CPU might be $399 ( hoping )
Probably one of the best posts I’ve seen in a long time. People get so wrapped up in performance numbers and unless you play at 1080p it’s not that big of a difference between cpus at 1440p or 4k.

Damn, Hot deal but they aren't stocking 300 series ITX mobos anymore. I guess I'll lose out on the $20

I ended up biting and just ordering a mobo from newegg. Dead end platform but at this point my 6600k still plays everything fine. I'm willing to bet the 9700k lasts a good 5+ years before I have any trouble too.

No boards at MC to your liking to take advantage of the discount?

MC Cambridge, MA still had some of these at this price point yesterday. Just putting that out there. Now I need to sell my mint unopened i5 8600k. Cheers!

-B
I'm literally debating whether to upgrade my 8 year old rig (i7 3700k and an old as bones mobo). Here's a link to my post with all the details so I don't have to rehash here.
Literally about to go to Cambridge store and shift this baby all the way around and go for the 9700k instead of the 10700k (easiest $150 I'll ever save) and get an older mobo.
Not really any major performance difference between the 9700k and 10700k right? Feels like too good of a deal to pass up.

Anybody have recommendations on mobos?

Last edited:
Honestly though.....

Don't you guys think 🤔 that when Ryzen 5000 comes out and NAVI ... Well see a better deal no?

I'd expect should be better than in Cyber Monday deals.

These have got to be at or below cost already.
Odd question though, what is a good mobo combo for those people here who want to upgrade and save $$$ but also want the latest mobo architecture.

In honestly through the 10' series would have been more logical.

The price here though..

$199......

Damn, another reason I don't like living in South Florida nowadays.

Question, mom doesn't live to far from the Houston store. If I purchase it online will I be able to have her pick it up without proof of the credit card or ID?

Damn, another reason I don't like living in South Florida nowadays.

Question, mom doesn't live to far from the Houston store. If I purchase it online will I be able to have her pick it up without proof of the credit card or ID?
100%. I went to the microcenter and all they asked was for my name. She can totally pick it up for you. MC will give you a receipt, only thing is you have to pay in store. You can only order online to pickup and pay in store.

What Is a Loss Leader Strategy?​

A loss leader strategy involves selling a product or service at a price that is not profitable but is sold to attract new customers or to sell additional products and services to those customers. Loss leading is a common practice when a business first enters a market. A loss leader introduces new customers to a service or product in the hopes of building a customer base and securing future recurring revenue.

What Is a Loss Leader Strategy?​

A loss leader strategy involves selling a product or service at a price that is not profitable but is sold to attract new customers or to sell additional products and services to those customers. Loss leading is a common practice when a business first enters a market. A loss leader introduces new customers to a service or product in the hopes of building a customer base and securing future recurring revenue.
Or they just have thousands of them in a warehouse and they’d rather move them for $200 than not move them at all.

That is wild to me. Although was happy to partake and get the $$$$.

All the RAM was pretty expensive there though.

My local MC is carazy. Most ppl that go there end up buying the whole rig because they don't realize the cpus are loss leaders so they assume the prices for everything is is fair as well. They put the one per household limits for buyers like us lol.

My local MC is carazy. Most ppl that go there end up buying the whole rig because they don't realize the cpus are loss leaders so they assume the prices for everything is is fair as well. They put the one per household limits for buyers like us lol.
I like the household limit (sometimes). Although I was prepared to buy 2 of these processors to just have them I cannot believe the price it's insane...
Totally hear you though. You should see me buy nintendo products hahaha.

I like the household limit (sometimes). Although I was prepared to buy 2 of these processors to just have them I cannot believe the price it's insane...
Totally hear you though. You should see me buy nintendo products hahaha.
I like MC as well.
For the loss leader. I MUCH prefer buying from Microcenter vs Amazon or Newegg.

Having a store that's just tech with good prices, is good for us / business.

To me seeing it in person is totally worth the difference in price he MC is cheaper and price matches anyways so.... Much easier to just get it all there.

AMD's AM4 socket is more future proof and less motherboard upgrades... I love intel from my Q6600 -> 4790k but the never ending socket changes with intel is not worth it... why should I spend so much for a new socket CPU that will change within 1-2 years on intel?

I don't frequent one often as they aren't close, but I've paid maybe $10 extra on RAM or something over Amazon/NE just because I was there and it was convenient.

That is wild to me. Although was happy to partake and get the $$$$.

All the RAM was pretty expensive there though.
They price matches though so it's the same price imho
True, but you get $40 off a motherboard, so if you are getting a motherboard it's effectively the same price.

Edit: They did the same with 9900k. Added $20 but increased the motherboard discount +$20 as well.
I got my 5930k + rampage there -+ ram was less than anywhere else after price matching
Intel in rough shape -- just read their earnings and future production doesn't look too hot.
Good buy opportunities! Theyvhave so much $$$$ for R&D

Have a funny feeling the price will return to $199 and they leave the $40 combo discount.

I was going to hold out... but I went ahead and bought a cheap combo for a slight refresh for the interim.. got the last set of Team Ram they had and got a free 32gb USB drive too with an email coupon.. I'll put one of 4790k combos for sale on FB to offset the upgrade... Motherboard is kind of constricting / limited to DDR4 / 2666 (but it was cheap lol) .. I'll tweak some settings.. I don't game anymore, just basic home stuff, and occasionally fire up a VM for learning.. Evo 212 from my 4790K fits.. I may pass this one to my wife and still get a Ryzen 5X, but this is plenty fast for every day computing :)

9700k.png

A nice little bump in performance (before and after), definitely notice it is snappier, and will help my VM's when needed. The cool thing with staying with Intel is my install, raid arrays, etc all work without having to reinstall..

9700k_bench.png

Note: For this board, I am using Intel XTU to bump voltages a little for the above score (Maxing out @ 140 watts / 70 degrees c under full load per HW monitor).. I may play with the ram timings with a windows program (since I am limited to DDR4 2666 @ CL16 for now), but not sure if I can do that in the limited BIOS (need to play a little more):

9700k_xtu.png

Update: I listed my old 4790k, PCMate Z97, and 4 sticks of Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 8GB on FB and CL for $195, Sold for $180... So total cost to upgrade $193 :)

Last edited:
I was going to hold out... but I went ahead and bought a cheap combo for a slight refresh for the interim.. got the last set of Team Ram they had and got a free 32gb USB drive too with an email coupon.. I'll put one of 4790k combos for sale on FB to offset the upgrade... Motherboard is kind of constricting / limited to DDR4 / 2666 (but it was cheap lol) .. I'll tweak some settings.. I don't game anymore, just basic home stuff, and occasionally fire up a VM for learning.. Evo 212 from my 4790K fits.. I may pass this one to my wife and still get a Ryzen 5X, but this is plenty fast for every day computing :)

View attachment 292101

A nice little bump in performance (before and after), definitely notice it is snappier, and will help my VM's when needed.

View attachment 292108
Nice! So pumped that you took advantage of this deal. I think it’s an awesome buy, can’t wait to finally build and check out the performance difference as well. I’ll have to not forget to do a bench with my current build for the before and after! 😎

What's the purpose of using Intel XTU on that board, if there's no overclocking? I haven't had an Intel build in a long time (3 Ryzens in my house), so forgive my ignorance :)

Back