9700K $199 Micro Center (plus $20 off MB)

What's the purpose of using Intel XTU on that board, if there's no overclocking? I haven't had an Intel build in a long time (3 Ryzens in my house), so forgive my ignorance :)

I overrode the multicore / ratio and set all cores to clock to 4,900 max in XTU. By giving it more available voltage, it scales well and hits 4,600 - 4,800 regularly on all cores simultaneously under load.. This made a noticeable improvement on CPUZ benchmark multicore scores which was about 3,7XX without, and 4,3XX with... this of course allows it to consume more power and not get throttled by the TDP cap at 95 watts (maxing at 139 watts now). The board is rated for CPUs up to 127 watt TDP (Core i9-9900KS, which can go over 10-20% under load), so I believe the VRMs can handle it.. if they don't over the long term, I am out $29 for the board :LOL: .. But to be honest, I am hardly ever hitting all cores 100% ever for any long duration.. so not worried either way.

Last edited:
This was a great deal, I would have maybe built my system with the new i5 8600k that I had laying around but I'm committed to the socket for a few more years so I might as well upgrade to the 9900k for 3 hondo. Thanks OP for the heads up. Now I need to sell an unopened 8600k... ;)
-B

I overrode the multicore / ratio and set all cores to clock to 4,900 max in XTU. By giving it more available voltage, it scales well and hits 4,600 - 4,800 regularly on all cores simultaneously under load.. This made a noticeable improvement on CPUZ benchmark multicore scores which was about 3,7XX without, and 4,3XX with... this of course allows it to consume more power and not get throttled by the TDP cap at 95 watts (maxing at 139 watts now). The board is rated for CPUs up to 127 watt TDP (Core i9-9900KS, which can go over 10-20% under load), so I believe the VRMs can handle it.. if they don't over the long term, I am out $29 for the board :LOL: .. But to be honest, I am hardly ever hitting all cores 100% ever for any long duration.. so not worried either way.

The 9900k, at 4.8-4.9ghz with AVX offset at zero burns about 165-170W, I find it hard to believe you are running the 9700k at 130W unless you have an AVX offset.

The 9900k, at 4.8-4.9ghz with AVX offset at zero burns about 165-170W, I find it hard to believe you are running the 9700k at 130W unless you have an AVX offset.

Yes, I am running an offset of 1 as shown in my screenshot in this post:

https://hardforum.com/threads/9700k-199-micro-center-plus-20-off-mb.2002482/post-1044777232

and with the wattage required for a 9900k (to get all the benefit of what it can do), I certainly do not recommend any of the B3XX boards on the MC combo deals... I could get more out of the 9700k, but for price / performance and what I am doing, the B365 is ok for my needs (for now) with voltage / current limiters lifted. This board may hard limit at 140 watts (but I could be wrong).. Hyper threading certainly does eat wattage, but the performance gains are also nice for those that need it as it will bench about 25% higher than the 9700k on all cores (~54XX on CPU-z)

Last edited:
Got everything upgraded over the weekend. Kind of uneventful, all of my games ran fine before with my 6600k, all of my games still run fine with the 9700k lol. Other than an improvement in 3dmark scores I haven't noticed a difference.

I reinstalled Destiny to try soon. I had an occasional stutter in heavy combat and am interested to see if the new cpu resolves it.

It feels a bit lackluster at the moment, but I'm sure my little quad cores days were numbered. At least I know I'm all good for Cyberpunk now.

Back