970 with active DisplayPort adapters

Headcase_Fargone

Limp Gawd
I posted a while back about how my new PNY 970 was causing all sorts of issues with my Qnix 1440p monitors because of the active DP adapters I have to use. The much older AMD card I was replacing never had such issues, so I know it's not the monitors or the adapters.

My question is: Are active DP adapter issues a problem inherent to all 970s (or recent Nvidia cards in general)? The reason I ask is a PNY support tech tells me they don't support active adapters at all.

At this point I'm considering purchasing a second 970 of another brand and SLIing it with the PNY, using the new card for the outputs. Is that a reasonable solution, or will all makes of 970 have this issue?

I'm not sure about the active adapters, but if you buy an EVGA 970 make sure and call their tech support and ask them if it will SLI with your PNY. EVGA made 3 different PCBs for their 970s, and they can't SLI to each other.

I'm not sure about the active adapters, but if you buy an EVGA 970 make sure and call their tech support and ask them if it will SLI with your PNY. EVGA made 3 different PCBs for their 970s, and they can't SLI to each other.

From what I'm reading it's not just EVGA cards that have issues SLIing. It looks like there's some issue with Nvidia's drivers that prevents two cards SLIing together from any manufacturer or sometimes even the same make and model from different batches. I've found a ton of threads on various forums about people being forced to use some hacky "DifferentSLIAuto" tool.

I think I'm just out of luck at this point. I'll probably have to sell this PNY card at a loss. Guess it's back to AMD...

I used to run 23.5 1080p triple monitors with a 32" 1440p all connected on gtx 970 sli with 2 active DP adapter in use. Everything was good for the most part and they were all overclocked @ 74hz and 87hz respectively. Which adapter are you using? I'm guessing you plugged in the usb on the adapter as well. I still have those adapters, they're heavy!

I used to run 23.5 1080p triple monitors with a 32" 1440p all connected on gtx 970 sli with 2 active DP adapter in use. Everything was good for the most part and they were all overclocked @ 74hz and 87hz respectively. Which adapter are you using? I'm guessing you plugged in the usb on the adapter as well. I still have those adapters, they're heavy!

I have two from Monoprice that I'm using right now and a spare StarTech that I've also tried. I've tried with the USB power plugged into the PC as well as a powered USB hub.

All three adapters work fine on the AMD cards I just replaced. Never had any of these issues before switching to the PNY.

Back