970 Video Playback while Gaming

Hi,

I've found that with surround gaming enabled, loading up WoW or any other game on the surround setup, and then trying to watch a video (MPEG2/MPEG4/H264) on the secondary 1080P monitor hooked up to the second video card, the framerate of the video will plummet and it will become choppy and stall a lot.

I never had this issue with my dual 6970 setup, so I'm pretty irritated with this...

I'm running the latest nVidia drivers and I've tried changing Media Player Classic between hardware accelerated and non-hardware accelerated, to no avail.

As soon as I close out the game, the video is perfect. :confused:

I have all 3 of the surround monitors hooked into the first card. I wasn't able, to hook the secondary display into the first card.

Any advice you can give is helpful! Thanks :D

Use VLC, see if that fixes it or something else is going on. I've watched a shit ton of videos while playing WoW in other monitors.

Last edited:
I typically have 2x games on my 2x screens and a video/movie on my 3rd. no issues using VLC

When I had a 970 I had 3 monitors, one playing games and two others with video/text and never had an issue. I was not using surround though.

This is not new, I have seen other posts about this issue when using surround.

If you're not gaming at a Surround resolution, why do you have Surround enabled?

If you're not gaming at a Surround resolution, why do you have Surround enabled?

Sounds like he/she is running 3+1 monitor layout.

The three monitors for surround gaming are plugged into one GPU. The +1 monitor is plugged into a different GPU. I suspect things might work better if he bought whatever adapter cable is needed to hook up the +1 monitor to the primary GPU.

Last edited:
The video might be running on the slow 0.5GB of VRAM. :D

But seriously try cutting off the Nvidia boosts for video playback. My R9 290 was doing similar stuttering and cutting off the GPU video features fixed most everything as far as I can tell.

Sounds like he/she is running 3+1 monitor layout.

The three monitors for surround gaming are plugged into one GPU. The +1 monitor is plugged into a different GPU. I suspect things might work better if he bought whatever adapter cable is needed to hook up the +1 monitor to the primary GPU.
I think you're right. I read "secondary monitor" as "second" for some reason...

Back