96KB game that will make your computer beg for mercy

truly awesome, just goes to show that with enough work you could probably fit doom 3 on a floppy:p

holySHYT.jpg

Turn off AA and AF or you will be playing it VERY slowly.

I remember these guys, they put out a 3d demo a couple years back, it was about 10minutes long full 3d and music and it was only 64k. I remember the compression ratio was 30000:1 and throughout the demo it unpacked almost 2gb of info.

Maybe these guys have a deal with SOE for Ever Quest II......Otherwise I don't see how they are going to get all those hundreds of hours of spoken dialouge onto my hard drive without taking the whole thing up :p

Originally posted by 101998
I remember these guys, they put out a 3d demo a couple years back, it was about 10minutes long full 3d and music and it was only 64k. I remember the compression ratio was 30000:1 and throughout the demo it unpacked almost 2gb of info.

yep its the same guys, heres the old demo, the graphics are dated since it came out in 2000, but the credits at the end describe what was generated in the demo.

there is something to be said when a screenshot of your game is bigger than the game itself

The demo scene is really amazing. The coders coding these things own you.

The demos just mesmerize you. The music, the visuals, the WOW factor.

Originally posted by IceDigger
The demo scene is really amazing. The coders coding these things own you.

The demos just mesmerize you. The music, the visuals, the WOW factor.

Yeah they have a demo "scene" that has been around since atleast the c64 days. Pretty insane stuff sometimes. Its mostly 100% assembly coding though and even that in itself is wow! Highly optimized. No fluff or bs!

Damn that was a neat game to be so small of a file!!!
Wish it had crosshairs to help aim though.

My system ran it just fine.

Ahh, I remember playing that second one on my computer a good 3 years ago. I had a 733 Celeron with a PCI TNT2 at the time though, so it didn't run exactly "well"...but I was still amazed by it.

Demo coders like this really are talented. The -real- demos, not the trial kind.

I still remember some of the amiga demos. For thier day they were awesome.

Err...I remember seeing something similar about a 20 minute 3D movie that ran in 24 kbs.

You can get stuck in the opening doors, get stuck when you get attatcked enemys, the enemys dont attack untill they see you, big guys can get stuck on the sides of the walls. Amazing Graphics though :rolleyes:

It isn't compression, it's procedural textures. There's a huge difference.

From Slashdot Games (reposted for the lazy):
Hi...

As I'm one of the guys responsible for this game, let me explain a few things.

First, to all the people saying this is senseless etc.: Please watch every second story posted on /. - most of them are about people doing something nobody in their right mind would ever try. So come on ;)

Then, a few clarifications:

Yes, we are the same guys who are responsible for FR-08: .the .product and all the follow-ups (which you can find at our home page, http://www.farb-rausch.de [farb-rausch.de]).

We don't use any hidden texture/sound or game generators in Windows. .kkrieger requires DirectX 9, but only to gain access to the graphics and sound hardware. OpenGL and whatever audio API would also work, we just chose to use DirectX. Maybe we will even release a Linux version in the future (which should be about the same size using X and ALSA), but as all this is done in our spare time and none of us has a linux desktop PC, it's rather improbable. So, the only thing where we "cheated" and used ressources from Windows are the Arial and Times New Roman fonts which we use as base material for our fonts (heavily processed tho). This and all Windows DLLs that are essential for running. We don't even use any external libc.

All content, that is: the textures, the models, the map and part of the animations is generated procedurally. The basic concept is a modular graphics synthesizer which only stores the steps needed to opbain a certain image or mesh with their parameters. On www.theproduct.de [theproduct.de] you'll find a short explanation. .kkrieger uses the very same concepts, only in a really evolved and refined way.

Also the sound is created procedurally by a virtual-analog software synthesizer processing heavily compressed MIDI data. It runs in real-time (for the music) as well as as pre-processing step (for the sound effects). Actual sound output is done via simplest DirectSound programming.

The graphics engine is made for Doom3-style graphics, that means full Phong lighting model with various light sources and normal mapping everywhere, and of course stencil based shadows. It requires a PS1.3 level graphics card such as a GeForce4Ti or a Radeon8500 or better, though it's only fun on at least a Radeon 9600 or a GeforceFX 5700, we know.

We also know about the insane hardware and memory requirements and all the bugs as well as the mostly missing gameplay, but we worked on it (partly) for about two years and we definitely wanted to get it out at the Breakpoint party [untergrund.net] on Easter. This meant lots of things we had to cut, this meant lots of thigs we didn't test, and we know this beta is far from perfect. But expect a final version in a few months (we'll definitely take some rest now) which will be about 128k and not only feature less bugs, hangs and fsckups but only vastly more content and hopefully an improved engine capable of real vs/ps2.0 support for more speed and quality. Oh, and gameplay. And monsters that actually DIE instead of just being turned off :)

Hope that clears up a few things...

Tammo "kb" Hinrichs
Farbrausch Consumer Consulting
freelance audio programming guy for .kkrieger
shocked that our server is still alive.
While this is great for programming and graphics techniques, the size of the program is secondary for the hit you'll take in generating the textures. A game like this would be impractical since you can't have custom textures (ie faces) and the loading times for each level would leave gamers bored to death.

That being said there are several things to learn from this. Don't let the size fool you though. Smaller isn't always better, but is interesting.

That is some real talent and mastery of DX. Amazing graphics for what it is and how well it looks. Puts a lot of current games to shame =(

How long is it roughly from start to finish?

They defintely got the "Wow" factor and they deserve it. I am sure the point was never for it to be flawless or run like a game with millions of dollars for a buget. Anyway you slice it, that is some amazing work. I would like to think what they could do with a 10 meg cap. Probably some amazing stuff.

Originally posted by 101998

Ya they put the whole 15 min video into 35 kb :)

There is a competition for super small demos. I can't remember the name or the site and a quick goolge isn't turning up anything that looks familiar, but it's amazing what can be done is small packages.

I guess it's not so amazing, we are just used to a different method of coding. The poster comparing this to UT2k4, for example. There is no way you could code that game with this method. The reason it's so large is the textures are pregenerated. These things generate textures based on mathmatical calculations. If you add that calc. time one top of the game itself you system would never be able to run it. So, it's necessary, for playability to use other methods, ala pre-rendered textures.

Think about it this way, in the past (say 8+ years ago), games that looked good for their day has prerendered backrounds. The didn't interact with the models, it was just a pretty 2d backround with animation. But that looked better than real time generated environments, why? Because, at the time, generating a pretty 3d environment was too much to ask of the machine. They used pre-rendered scenes to match the power of the equipment it was running on. Now we have much faster machines and real 3d environments, but the textures are still pre-rendered. Again, were cheating because to mathmatically generate the texutres isn't feasable or reasonable, it may never be benefitial to change that aspect of modeling.

doesn't run worth a shit on my computer (sig)

damn you GF3 BURN IN HELL!!!

(everty thing is all red and ucky looking... and nothing works, i just sit there and spin, uncrorolalbly)

Several years from now when computers are ridiculously fast, I'd say most games will start implementing procedural coding techniques. Computers will be able to generate most/all of the things required by the came quickly.

But then again, I could be wrong :p

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Originally posted by Stanley Pain
Several years from now when computers are ridiculously fast, I'd say most games will start implementing procedural coding techniques.
Why? There's no need to. With oodles of disk space and DVD media and bundles of ram there's no need. You can get better and more realistic textures by prerendering them. It takes up more space, but it's a hellofa lot faster than procedural.

That's not to say that precedural coding doesn't have it's place. I just don't see any way that it's going to sweep the gaming scene like you think it will be. It's cool and all, but it's a step backwards rather than forwards in most respects.

Originally posted by XBLiNKX
is that with your duron system of A64?

:D

have you checked out the Video Card on the duron system, its like a old school 2mb SIS card. I can't even run 1024x786 @ 256 colors :).

Back