965 BE or i5 750

From all the benchmarks I've seen on gaming (primary reason for me to upgrade) it seems as though the AMD X4 needs ~400mhz over an I7 to be equal in games. So clock for clock the I7 is faster. Sorry I haven't seen too many I5 benchmarks vs the 965BE.

There were two recent deals at fry's near black friday, one was an I7 860 + Mobo for $230 + tax. The other was a 965BE + Mobo for $140 + tax. I didn't feel the extra $100 was worth the small FPS gain, where I could spend that on a video card. Though I got the 5850 for $260 instead of spending an additional $100 on the 5870 since I also didn't feel the small FPS gain was, again, worth it.

Now assuming the I7 is 10% faster than the I5 in games (Hard to really tell, since some benchmarks show I7 being quite a bit faster, and some show them fairly equal) then I would say the I5 is pretty much on par with the 965BE clock for clock in games.

Now I've seen plenty of people reaching 4ghz on their I7. The new C3 965BE appears to hit 4ghz easily and seems like 4.2-4.4ghz is pretty doable on air. I haven't OC'd mine yet, waiting on AM3 bracket, since the shop made a mistake and shipped me the I7 heatsink. One thing to keep in mind though is that the AMD chips do not like temps over 60C, but the intel chips are incredibly robust and can be run 65C+ (though I don't think I'd like any processor to run over 60C).

Edit: I should have said that the AMD chip only needs ~400mhz more in certain games at certain resolutions vs the I7. Even then a majority of the time the FPS gain is very small and the money would be better suited towards a video card.

Last edited:
i can run F@H, play a blu-ray and play a 1080p mkv all at the same time and there is no stuttering with my lowly q8400 @3.2. i think the video card will matter more than what cpu youre running.

It does not tell what on average the chip can overclock to but what speed on average have users overclocked to. If I ran windows and installed the software and added a point for my q9550 I would pull the average slightly down cause I am only running at 3.1GHz @ 1.15V core. For me, 100% 24/7/365 stability and lower power are a requirement so I have not yet pushed my cpu as far as it can go.

Back