9600k @ 5Ghz

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
I've picked up a 9600k to play around with, on a Gigabyte Z390 Master, and cooling with a Dark Rock 4. (non Pro) I'm currently using the Primochill wet test bench as the case, so no addition cooling, other than the DR4's single fan.

Putting the multiplier to 50 without any other changes, including voltage, it booted right into 10, ok good sign (maybe)... I ran Cinebench twice no issue, and then Intel's burn In test for a 1/2hr twice, both on standard and high (I know... not long enough probably) and in CPUZ I can see it's @ 5Ghz, with stock voltage. But when I launch Far Cry 5, it crashes at the main menu, crashed as in hard reboot. Upped the Vcore to 1.25, and this time FC5 crashes during the first in game cut scene. I know stress testing doesn't always replicate everyday scenarios, so could this be an issue with the AVX? I have the AVX offset to Auto/Default. FWIW, I have not tried anything higher than 1.25 vcore yet. All other parts, being only ram/gpu are running at default. BIOS is currently April 2019, and I did notice gigabyte has a 6/19 one out but I haven't bothered with that.

Last edited:
Got it stable at 5GHz on stock Vcore 1.2v, Turns out the Vdrop on the Gigabyte Master was causing the issues in Far Cry 5 and other games. Strange because Intel Burn in and other benches didn’t have any issue running on stock Vcore. Nevertheless, once I set the LLC to medium it’s completely stable. The chip does 5.4GHz but that’s the highest I could take it, and even that required 1.35v. Temps at 5GHz are staying in the 70’s when benching and stressing. Dock Rock 4, single fan, and AC5 paste. Here’s a small breakdown

5.0GHz 1.2v LLC medium
5.1GHz 1.25v LLC medium
5.2GHz 1.3v LLC medium
5.4GHz 1.35 LLC high

Spent the last 6 hours stressing and gaming at 5GHz , very happy with the result. To me the extra Vcore required above stock 1.2 just to go up a few hundred MHz isn’t worth it. 5.5GHz resulted in a post but I had to set Vcore to 1.4 and LLC to turbo and even then Windows crashed on boot up so I guess that’s its wall.

Last edited:
Back