9600GT

Let's hope it's more FUD spread to continue selling off old stock. People thinking no replacement soon for the top end would be more willing to grab whatever now. :confused:

If so, it would be pretty ineffective, at least for those of us in the know. Most people today would be buying decidedly new G92 stock, not old G80 stock, unless they have very high-end monitor setups.

Finally, what the 8600GT should of been, 64 SP's.

Maybe this time around mid range cards will be work a look.

all i know is, if nvidia releases a 9600PRO, i am SOOOOO buying that, just for the sake of confusing the fuck out of people who think im running a 5 year old ati card :p

they probably wont though, the last time nv used the pro moniker was in the GF2 days iirc

D9P: 9600 GT on 14th of February
Post #25
It's born to kill the HD3850? This card was intended to go up against RV670 in Q1 2008.... There was supposed to be only a 1 month gap in release (RV670 in January, D9P on the 14th of Feb). But then something unexpected happened... A11 silicon of RV670 came back faultless so it got released much sooner than anticipated... and the more expensive G92 had to be pushed down to compete against RV670.

So when the GeForce 9600GT comes out, AMD has a 3-4 months lead in the same segment.

The cheapest HD3850 is already available for €140 over here so NV will need to match the price to remain competitive.

It might also be nice to mention the performance of D9P in 3DM06. The projected performance is around 10K (slightly higher), which is around the same as the HD3850 which is already available. 9600GT will use an 8" PCB. The die-size is in between 190mm2-200mm2, making this the "natural competitor" to RV670.

Oh and D9E will be launched one month later in March. That's the 9800-Series, the follow-up to the 8800GTX/Ultra. This one will probably beat the HD3870 X2 (R680) which will be launched on the 28th of January.

P.S. Manny's post time in the Nvidia section pre-dates the other thread.

hhhmmmm...

i would have named it or expected a gpu solution with that level of performance to be an 8700GT or 8800GS falling in line with current 8series price/performance...instead, jumping to 9 for a reincarnated (g9-core)8600gt(s) assuming the 8---GX2 will coming out touting "quad-sli" to match up against the r680 confused:

starting with "main-stream" and working up from there for the next-gen "high-end" would suck......with NV milking the 8series &(g9 cores).....give us the big dogs!!!

has tech in gpu hit a wall??? the 1terflop monsters are NOT single gpu....

whats the maxiumm bandwidth for pci-e2.0 ???

hhhmmmm...

i would have named it or expected a gpu solution with that level of performance to be an 8700GT or 8800GS falling in line with current 8series price/performance...instead, jumping to 9 for a reincarnated (g9-core)8600gt(s) assuming the 8---GX2 will coming out touting "quad-sli" to match up against the r680 confused:

starting with "main-stream" and working up from there for the next-gen "high-end" would suck......with NV milking the 8series &(g9 cores).....give us the big dogs!!!

This is supposedly a new architecture so why would they stick with 8 series names? I think thats been exhausted. ;)

This is supposedly a new architecture so why would they stick with 8 series names? I think thats been exhausted. ;)

I'm not so sure about that. There will probably be at least 3 more 8800 products before we are through, at least one also called 8800 GTS. :p :rolleyes: :D

So does this one replace the 8600 GT, meaning no power connectors, or the 8600GTS?

Mid range first? That would be an absolute golden opportunity for ATI to release R700.

I think they are going to wait it out this time. They don't want to get dwarfed again by a superior product. If it turns out to be that way again for another year.

-DarkLegacy

D9P: 9600 GT on 14th of February
Post #25

P.S. Manny's post time in the Nvidia section pre-dates the other thread.

Yes it would,for those willing to spend big bucks to get the best.Has it hit a wall,hell no,we are years away from that.And dont let anyone try to tell you we cannot have
chips with over 1 billion transistos,because we certainly can,and with good yields as
well.How much bandwith?,far more then is needed by most gamers.

Releasing the Mid-Range product first isn’t necessarily a bad thing; it takes a queue from the Auto World in fact. If they release the mid range "9" series cards in the sweet-spot of $150-$200, many people, even enthusiasts, will buy them just to have the latest and greatest revision. They get a bunch of people in the door and then “up-sell” the higher end cards when they debut.

Kind of how car makers wait to release the performance models. Joe Blow has a C5 Z06, The New C6 Comes out, so hey buys it to have the “latest and greatest”. The new C6 Z06 comes out and he then trades his base C6 in for that… they get 2 Sells from the latest product line for the enthusiast.

Another Advantage is this; Budget Enthusiast gamers.

I hate to pay more than $200 for a video card. Its just a wall that I don’t want to pay. A lot of people seem to have a mental cap of $150 or $200. That makes me a Mid-range part buyer. I bought a 7900GS when they debuted and I think I paid about $150 or it or so.. Not bad.. the 8800 Series cards were so expensive though, That I didn’t want to pay for an 8800.. By the time a card came out that performed better than my 7900GS for around $200, wind of the next generation “9” series has grabbed my attention, So Why buy an 8800GT when I can just wait a couple of months and get a “9” series card that should be on-par or a little better?

By only releasing the highest end first, I believe they are recouping their costs a lot slower than they should. They make a higher profit on the top end cards, but by the time they put out the mainstream, all of the synergy of the product launch has been lost, along with potential sales.

So, tell me how is this a good thing? Nvidia was supposed to stick to their reslease cucle, and if this information is true, well, then I can tell you with pretty good certainty that Nvidia is just waiting for ATI to release a high end card. If that is the case, that means that we are still going to be waiting 6-10 months for something worthwhile. In that case, I will be pretty happy I guess, my GTX would then have had quite a good life, and if there are any games that I can't run and would want to run, I might upgrade, if not, 8800GTX ftw!!!

Some hardcore enthusiasts, specially those running very high res monitors do need something new, but if there was a release of a new high end today, I would still wait few months, surprisingly, my 8800GTX still murders every game out.

So, tell me how is this a good thing? Nvidia was supposed to stick to their reslease cucle, and if this information is true, well, then I can tell you with pretty good certainty that Nvidia is just waiting for ATI to release a high end card. If that is the case, that means that we are still going to be waiting 6-10 months for something worthwhile. In that case, I will be pretty happy I guess, my GTX would then have had quite a good life, and if there are any games that I can't run and would want to run, I might upgrade, if not, 8800GTX ftw!!!

Some hardcore enthusiasts, specially those running very high res monitors do need something new, but if there was a release of a new high end today, I would still wait few months, surprisingly, my 8800GTX still murders every game out.

The Urgency for a hard cycle has been diminished by a lack of true competition over the last 14 months.

Wouldnt you sell an already developed product for as long as possible if there were no competative advantages for releasing by releasing a new product. the Longer the 8X Series cards are selling without major competition, the more moeny nVidia makes.

The Urgency for a hard cycle has been diminished by a lack of true competition over the last 14 months.

Wouldnt you sell an already developed product for as long as possible if there were no competative advantages for releasing by releasing a new product. the Longer the 8X Series cards are selling without major competition, the more moeny nVidia makes.

Exactly, even though my GTX can still run everything very well, I feel as if we could have so much more right now. Damn you ATi.

Just Got mine Delivered, UPS just left. Woot!

New Setup:
Asus P5K-E, Intel E6850, Thermalwright Ultra120 Extreme w/ extra 120mm Fan Frozen CPU
2 Gigs OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Platinum
Asus EN9600GT 512
250 Gig Seagate 7200.10 16
Samsung 20 X DVD +/- RW SATA
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 PSU, Ultra XBlaster Black Midtower
Sceptre 20.5 in. LCD 1080i HD 1680 x 1050 res Monitor
Logitech G15 K'board, G9 Mouse (RatPad XT)
MSFT Vista 64 Bit Ultimate

I will Post my Impressions once I've Loaded some Games and Burn this Puppy in.
Saturday 3/8/08 PC Posts into BIOS, Recognized CPU, Correct Memory and Set the Date/Time. Still have to finish up installing HDrives/DVD RW, and OS. But looks really good so far.

3/08/08- 11:10pm Just finished installing OS, Drivers. So far so good!

03/09/08- Installed Crysis + Patch1.2 and Played for about an hour. I'm really impressed with this Asus EN9600GT, the Graphics aren't quite as nice as on the 8800Ultra, but it will work and is darn quick, and it never hung up on me. Maybe when I get deeper into the Game again. My Sig Box used to hang up all the time, until I replaced the Onboard Sound Chip with XFi

Back