9600gt, 9800gt or 9800gtx for PhysX?

I have a 295 for graphics and now I have to choose between a 9600GT and a 9800GT for my dedicated physx card.

I am torn. It looks like the 9800GT will be a little faster from what I'm reading, but it's so darned noisy. Both my 9800 and 9600 are from Galaxy and seem like decent cards with good cooling, but I'm thinking I'd rather have quiet than performance. The 9600GT will still provide me with much better performance in games than using half of the 295 for GPU and half for physx.

Then I read this: "First off, as we’ve seen in previous PhysX performance articles, the GeForce 9600 GT delivers the best PhysX performance for the dollar among GPUs. PhysX performance was basically on par with the vastly more powerful 9800 GTX+ when both were paired with the GeForce GTX 260 handling graphics."

what to do...:confused:

You should get one off of Ebay... takes a bit of looking and sniping.. but I snagged a NIB ASUS GTS250 for $78.80 with shipping.... how's that for perfomance for the dollar? :D

You should get one off of Ebay... takes a bit of looking and sniping.. but I snagged a NIB ASUS GTS250 for $78.80 with shipping.... how's that for perfomance for the dollar? :D

Well considering I already own a 9600GT and a 9800GT I would rather spend $0.

The thing is, I'm building a computer for my brother in law, and he is a huge WoW player. I am not. If I use the 9800GT, he's probably going to get the 9600GT for graphics.

I think that I'll notice less of a difference with the 9600GT for physx, than we would notice with the 9600GT for his dedicated gaming card. Thus, I'm leaning towards using the 9800GT for his primary card for WoW and keeping the lesser 9600 for my dedicated physx GPU. I mean it's not like my 295 is too slow or something... I just want a dedicated PPU for the few games I have that use physx. I think that I will get enough of a boost from the 9600GT.

Is there really that much difference between a 9600 and a 9800 if you're just going to use it for physx only?

A 9800 will have a performance increase related to the difference in processing units (stream processors) and clockspeed. In short, it's faster :)

Is there really that much difference between a 9600 and a 9800 if you're just going to use it for physx only?

Elledan is right. 64SP vs 112SP is a big difference. Both cards have the same memory bandwidth, so if you have both, use the 9800GT for sure.

Elledan is right. 64SP vs 112SP is a big difference. Both cards have the same memory bandwidth, so if you have both, use the 9800GT for sure.

Don't you think the difference in overall gaming for my bro-in-law's computer would be more noticeable than any difference I might notice in simply physx? I need to see some WoW benchmarks I guess ...

I want him to have a good computer for his WoW habits.

The 9600gt will suck in Wow if running anything over about 800x600 or 1024x768 with low-medium settings... sure ya might be able to get 30-40 fps in places.

My 4850 was great at 1280x1024, but at 1680x1050 I have run into places where I am GPU limited.. This is with settings all maxed, except shadows are 2 notches from the top. Also using 4xAA. vsync and triple buffering are also on.

Even overclocked to 740/1150 my 4850 is GPU limited in some places.... and a stock 4850 has a GPU clock of 625mhz.

And a regular 4850 is about the same speed of a 9800GTX+/GTS250.. maybe a little faster.

So a 9800GT is gonna be quite a bit slower.. and I shudder to think what WoW would run like on a 9600GT.

The 9600gt will suck in Wow if running anything over about 800x600 or 1024x768 with low-medium settings... sure ya might be able to get 30-40 fps in places.

My 4850 was great at 1280x1024, but at 1680x1050 I have run into places where I am GPU limited.. This is with settings all maxed, except shadows are 2 notches from the top. Also using 4xAA. vsync and triple buffering are also on.

Even overclocked to 740/1150 my 4850 is GPU limited in some places.... and a stock 4850 has a GPU clock of 625mhz.

And a regular 4850 is about the same speed of a 9800GTX+/GTS250.. maybe a little faster.

So a 9800GT is gonna be quite a bit slower.. and I shudder to think what WoW would run like on a 9600GT.

Settled then. I can live with a lesser physx card so my brother in law has a decent WoW experience. He'll be gaming for the longest time on his old Sony LCD at 1280x1024. Should be able to run it really well, especially with an overclocked quad core (I'm going to help him overclock it when we build it here in the next few weeks.) This is going to be his primary GPU, and a 9600GT is still loads better than nothing (and benches show it) for a dedicated physx card. In fact people use a lot worse and still see a boost in physx games.

Isn't WoW mostly CPU-bound? From a thread on this topic I didn't get the idea that a more powerful GPU would make much of a difference other than allow one to turn on more prettification options. My housemate uses an 8800 GTX with WoW and it's enough to turn on virtually all of those options without issues.

Isn't WoW mostly CPU-bound? From a thread on this topic I didn't get the idea that a more powerful GPU would make much of a difference other than allow one to turn on more prettification options. My housemate uses an 8800 GTX with WoW and it's enough to turn on virtually all of those options without issues.

Well, the 8800GTX is still quite a bit more powerful than a 9600GT.

gosh, you guys. I'm gonna have to run some benchmarks of my OWN now .... pfft!

Like another poster said... the 8800GTX is a lot more powerful than a 9600GT. the non-G92 based 8800GTS cards are even quite a bit more powerful than a 9600GT.

And yeah... "prettification" options are not optional IMO....

And can your housemate get a steady 60fps almost everywhere? 60fps is not optional IMO either.

Like another poster said... the 8800GTX is a lot more powerful than a 9600GT. the non-G92 based 8800GTS cards are even quite a bit more powerful than a 9600GT.

And yeah... "prettification" options are not optional IMO....

And can your housemate get a steady 60fps almost everywhere? 60fps is not optional IMO either.

Well, my brother in law is also going to get an i7 rig, and I'll clock it to at least 3.6 for him. I think with that and a 9800GT he should be able to run WoW quite happily.

Thanks for all the tips and experiences guys. I just don't think he'd be able to turn on as much eye candy if I only set him up with the 9600, but I'm happy with that as my physx card.

Has anyone tried Sacred 2 out yet? With PhysX enabled in game and everything max out 1900x1200, FPS is around 22 to 27 in town at night time with my system.

Back