Pentium 4 2.8 GHz OC'ed to 3.25 GHz
2 GB of DDR400 Dual Channel Memory OC'ed to 232MHz
ATi Radeon X1950 Pro AGP 8X 256MB GDDR3 Visiontek
Dual 250 GB WD Caviar 250GB Storage Drives
160 GB Maxtor ATA133 Diamondmax Boot Drive
NEC DVD-+RW Drive
Antec Nine Hundred Case
Coolermaster 430w Power Supply

Looking to upgrade to an Athlon 64 X2. Anyone have any good mainboard recommendations?

Must be ATX, have 4 RAM slots, have AGP 8X, and supports a X2. Dont want the ASRock either.

My current rig is this :

Pentium 4 2.8 GHz OC'ed to 3.25 GHz
2 GB of DDR400 Dual Channel Memory OC'ed to 232MHz
ATi Radeon X1950 Pro AGP 8X 256MB GDDR3 Visiontek
Dual 250 GB WD Caviar 250GB Storage Drives
160 GB Maxtor ATA133 Diamondmax Boot Drive
NEC DVD-+RW Drive
Antec Nine Hundred Case
Coolermaster 430w Power Supply

Looking to upgrade to an Athlon 64 X2. Anyone have any good mainboard recommendations?

Must be ATX, have 4 RAM slots, have AGP 8X, and supports a X2. Dont want the ASRock either.

So you want to replace one outdated socket with another one, and keep your AGP graphics card? Not worth spending money for a new motherboard in my opinion, but people here seem to like the Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe for 939, but that's not AGP.

Better to go PCI-E, sell your video card in the FS forum and swap it for a PCI-E version, then either buy 939 or save up for a decent DDR2 board.

I have an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 939/AGP motherboard that I am currently selling. It is one of the top 939/AGP boards (for its time). See HERE. If you got any questions feel free to ask!

So you want to replace one outdated socket with another one, and keep your AGP graphics card? Not worth spending money for a new motherboard in my opinion, but people here seem to like the Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe for 939, but that's not AGP.

Better to go PCI-E, sell your video card in the FS forum and swap it for a PCI-E version, then either buy 939 or save up for a decent DDR2 board.

Thanks for taking a crap in my thread. -.-' I dont want to go to PCI-E yet, ever thought of that? :mad: Espically since I just bought this card.

AGP isn't the wisest decision anymore... honestly thats why I am trying to get out of it!

try for a AM2 board at least... socket 939 is going to end up like 754 soon.

AGP isn't the wisest decision anymore... honestly thats why I am trying to get out of it!

try for a AM2 board at least... socket 939 is going to end up like 754 soon.

Instead of telling me to dump all my current hardware and upgrade to a new processor, new RAM, a new video card, a bigger power supply, and everything else, how bout suggesting a AGP board thats Socket 939.

I dont want AM2, I dont want PCI-E. Geez. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

QFT!!! Wtf guys, I'm in the same boat as this guy here. Telling us to "omg upgrade everythingz, like LAWL why would you not spend $1000 thats stooopid!!" is just a waste of everyones time. I have the same AGP card, and it can hold it's own in all current games, and will do just fine in newer games coming up, we just need dual core. This IS the best money/performance ratio available to me and the OP at this point in time, don't argue with that :p .

OP - I'll let you know if I can find a decent board...

Thanks buddy. :D

I only want Dual Core to help speed up video processing, and other tasks like that. And also so I can run VMware on the secondary core. :p
Not everyone can afford/want the newest and greatest, like AM2, Core2, and 8800s.

Note: Don't get the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum if you plan on using an aftermarket CPU cooler, it will block the AGP slot...

Mis-informed and false statement. I used an Asetek Vapochill Micro & Thermalright XP-90 on this motherboard with no issues what-so-ever.

HERE is another review where they used a CoolerMaster Hyper6 on the same motherboard.

EDIT:HERE is a post where I have pics of the setup in a case.

Try and score an Asrock 939 Dual Sata2 or 939 Dual VSTA - has AGP and PCI-E.

EDIT - oops, didn't see where you didn't want one. N/m.

Although...there ARE bigger coolers...ones that would in fact, not fit...

Quite possibly there are now but they weren't available back when the board was made so there could be SOME compatibility issues now depending upon the cooler.

Only one I was able to find on the net that's still being sold is the Asrock. Your best bet may to be score a used nForce3 Ultra board from someone in the forums or on ebay. A better idea would be trade/sell your AGP x1950pro and pick up the PCI-E version so you have more flexibility in what boards and platforms you can choose.

What I don't get is why you would go out and buy a high end AGP card and then decide to upgrade the rest of your system. It's kinda like you screwed yourself by doing the upgrade one part at a time... Understandably, you don't want to go out and buy new RAM but no one is forcing you to buy a new PSU or "everyting else" (how does changing from AGP to PCI-E require that?).

Best of luck in your search.

QFT!!! Wtf guys, I'm in the same boat as this guy here. Telling us to "omg upgrade everythingz, like LAWL why would you not spend $1000 thats stooopid!!" is just a waste of everyones time. I have the same AGP card, and it can hold it's own in all current games, and will do just fine in newer games coming up, we just need dual core. This IS the best money/performance ratio available to me and the OP at this point in time, don't argue with that :p .

OP - I'll let you know if I can find a decent board...

WOOO easy there. dam acting like a noOb with that tone...

Well first off who said you need to spend 1K? You can do such a setup at a reasonable price.

I am simply trying to get you out of AGP as it will slowly shrink to death. PCI-E isnt really that expensive!

Yeah Am2 sucks because you have to poor more cash into getting ram then everything else.

Well here look at this. a 939 board (dfi) at $130 with a 4400 chip at $180 and a PCIE version of your current card for $230(ati made version) (HSI model sells at $185)

All the AGP boards I see just look horrid honestly.

Your power supply can handle this but look into a 550W model is a good idea. Too bad I found out I will owe money on my taxes this year... was planning to buy my way into pci-e pretty soon and I could have handed you my current gigabyte board.

To the OP:

I'm in the same situation you are: my vidcard is fine for my needs, I have plenty of ram sitting around, and I just want a 64-bit, dual-core processor. I was looking at going socket 754, cause even though that's extinct, it will still do 64-bit, but that's rather expensive and doesn't really get me very far. Right now, I'm looking at two boards, the Asus A8V Deluxe and the Abit UL8. They can both be found on Ebay for a decent price, but I'm still trying to convince myself to buy a motherboard off there.

I can understand the other side though... switching to a 939 board with pcie wouldn't be a bad solution, cause it would let you keep the ram and move the video card over. Sort of make the jump in steps. In reality, this is probably what I'll wind up doing... It just seems a little wasteful to me to get rid of a part that's doing everything it needs to right now.

To everyone else:

You have to realize, between kids and school and whatnot, some of us have a hard time making room in the budget to even spend $50 on computer parts. While we'd love to have the ~$400 it would take to move everything over to pcie/ddr2, the money just isn't there... when we upgrade, we have to keep as much stuff from the old rig as we possibly can. I will agree that in my case, and possibly the OP's, moving all the way would net better performance/dollar, but if the money just ain't there, it's not an option.

I have an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum 939/AGP motherboard that I am currently selling. It is one of the top 939/AGP boards (for its time). See HERE. If you got any questions feel free to ask!

(16) No BUYING, TRADING, or SELLING anywhere with the exception of the For Sale / Trade forum. The FS/T forum has it's own set of specific rules. Please read their rules before posting in that forum. [H]ard|Forum is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any loss due to any sale or exchange of any item in the For Sale / Trade forum. Caveat Emptor!!

(16) No BUYING, TRADING, or SELLING anywhere with the exception of the For Sale / Trade forum. The FS/T forum has it's own set of specific rules. Please read their rules before posting in that forum. [H]ard|Forum is NOT RESPONSIBLE for any loss due to any sale or exchange of any item in the For Sale / Trade forum. Caveat Emptor!!

Um, dude, the OP asked for a good Skt 939 AGP board, and he happens to be selling the best one ever made. There is nothing wrong with telling him that.

Shhhhh, and let the mods do the moderating.

Um, dude, the OP asked for a good Skt 939 AGP board, and he happens to be selling the best one ever made. There is nothing wrong with telling him that.

Shhhhh, and let the mods do the moderating.

Yeah I guess trying to help someone out isn't a good thing anymore. I thought that this was more of a "community" where we helped one another. It's not like I posted my entire frickin FS/FT thread here, I linked it with a small explanation.

Yeah I guess trying to help someone out isn't a good thing anymore. I thought that this was more of a "community" where we helped one another. It's not like I posted my entire frickin FS/FT thread here, I linked it with a small explanation.

I appreicate it buddy.

In fact, I'm about to sell this tower so I can pick up your RAM, your CPU, and your mobo. :)

JeeEEEEZ i hate when people are like GO PCI-E AND ALL this hoo blah, i mean i am pci-e and sckt 939 but i mean yea i was a agp guy forawile but msi would prolly be ur best bet on agp amd motherboard

Hey, how about leaving the moderating to the moderators?

I thought I read somewhere that board did not OC well....-shrug- This may sort of defeat the purpose of having a Conroe for some people...

The idea is to perform the upgrades one at a time as he can afford once he has his PCI-E card his DDR2 and conroe its nothing to slap in a good motherboard.

Will still be faster than the 939 route with no OC.

And i was just giving the guy a damn heads up shamelessly plugging your FS shit is lame he wasnt helping the dude he was helping his shit sell and its against the rules for that reason im sure. WIthout that everytime a thread pops up asking about something in particular it would get spammed with people selling what the OPs looking for.

So trash talk all you want if you like the forums to turn into a giant fucking ad.

The idea is to perform the upgrades one at a time as he can afford once he has his PCI-E card his DDR2 and conroe its nothing to slap in a good motherboard.

Will still be faster than the 939 route with no OC.

And i was just giving the guy a damn heads up shamelessly plugging your FS shit is lame he wasnt helping the dude he was helping his shit sell and its against the rules for that reason im sure. WIthout that everytime a thread pops up asking about something in particular it would get spammed with people selling what the OPs looking for.

So trash talk all you want if you like the forums to turn into a giant fucking ad.

If the mods have a problem with it, let them handle it. It's not your place to tell other people what to do here, and regardless of your intentions it makes you out to be a self-righteous minge.

Just something to think about. in january of this yr. I wanted a 939 agp board but the only place to find them was ebay. I purchased a Soltek board for around 40 bucks. It worked great for two weeks when it blew a cap and took my cpu and harddrive out with it... By the time i purchase all new parts I'd spent over twice as much as needed or wanted to spend, plus countless hours messing with it. I learned my lesson and will never buy used or try to make due again. ;)

my gigabyte K8NS-939-ULTRA works great! just doesnt support the opty 175... all the others it does... just not the 175... the one i want to get :(... guess ill settle for a 160-170

FWIW, I have 2 of the asrock dual-sataII's. Both are running opties at 2.8. They can be a little picky, but no more than any other board. This would also leave you an upgrade path should you choose to go to pcie. The problem is finding one. :rolleyes:

Interesting thought, but I find those ASRock boards kinda gimmicky.

Plus then my 2GB is in 4x512MB. :/
How can it be called a "gimmick" when it works? Asrock was nice enough to even make upgradable boards like this. I have the ASROCK Dual Sata2 board, and its worth more on ebay now then what I paid for it a year ago. Even their AM2CPU addon board works as advertised from what I have read (its only drawback is the heatsink has to be the right size to fit).

Although I don't know about the 4x512mb sticks, I would kind of doubt it. A lot of boards have problems with all 4 slots filled.

The 4x512 sticks comment was in regard to the Asrock 775 Conroe board - it has 2 DDR ram slots and 2 DDR2 slots - so the OP would be losing half his current DDR ram.

The 939 Dual mobo, with it's 4 rams slots, handles 4x512MB ram fine.

Im in the same boat as the OP. Im short on funds, have some decent components, and want to upgrade my cpu on the cheap. I decided to go E6300 (partly because I couldn't find a decent 939 AGP board). There are some really nice deals on AMD 939's like the Opteron 165 or the x2 3800 which could be overclocked, but finding a decent mobo cheap enough to make it worth it is close to impossible.

Back