92-Year-Old Pirates DVDs To Send To Troops

Good guy . Maybe the studios should make their movies and shows available a little earlier for the troops.

It's not about movies. It's about doing the right thing morally.
Usually I hear people saying you can't legislate morality... a concept I disagree with, but if you're going to use the most minor infraction to cast judgment on the soldiers - not even the person actually doing the piracy here I might note - then you need to hold yourself to your own standards. Have you ever stolen something, even accidentally taken a pen from an office, and failed to return it? Have you ever exceeded the speed limit by even 1 mph, or passed through a traffic light as it was turning from yellow to red? You see, if you're going to use the law in a completely inflexible way toward others, yet don't hold yourself to the same standard, then you are a hypocrite. Justice is not as simple as a rulebook, and even the MPAA isn't pressing charges in this. If no charges are brought then where's the crime? Yet you would judge those with the most to lose the most harshly. There is such a thing in justice called mercy. It is a concept you should look into.

Do the country a favor and start thinking like a morally responsible adult instead of like an entitled little boy.
I have found that those who claim a moral superiority over others are most often guilty of the most immoral of all behaviors - being prideful. Before casting such a critical eye on others you should try a healthy dose of introspection. If you're honest with yourself you will find that you are not so good a person as you think yourself to be.

last time i went starbucks wanted to charge me $38 to ship 2 lbs of coffee through USPS priority mail; USPS priority for the size of the box they shipped it in was a flat rate of $7 to APO addresses.

Newegg's cost of shipping my computer monitor was over $100. When I returned it for RMA (dead pixels), shipping back to them with full insurance coverage? $54. :mad:

Usually I hear people saying you can't legislate morality... a concept I disagree with, but if you're going to use the most minor infraction to cast judgment on the soldiers - not even the person actually doing the piracy here I might note - then you need to hold yourself to your own standards. Have you ever stolen something, even accidentally taken a pen from an office, and failed to return it? Have you ever exceeded the speed limit by even 1 mph, or passed through a traffic light as it was turning from yellow to red? You see, if you're going to use the law in a completely inflexible way toward others, yet don't hold yourself to the same standard, then you are a hypocrite.
You mean "...he that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone..." :p

Anyway, I didn't realise pirate movies were so hard to get for servicemen :p

The soldiers are not there to watch movies. They're there to work. I think 45,000 movies are more than enough to go around. The numbers are still going up.

Have you ever been deployed? Do you know what its like to be away from family and friends for months and years? Do you know what its like to wear the same clothes and not take a shower for weeks? Do you know what its like to not know if you'll be alive that night or the next day?

Yes they're working but they need an oppurtunity to relax also. Unless you've been there you have no place to say what they're "supposed" to do. Until you've walked in those boots you no idea what its like to be there. They're working to protect YOUR freedom.

I loathe piracy but in this case I'm perfectly willing to play the hypocrite and support this guy, because it sends a big FU to the MPAA while at the same time providing some badly needed recreation to our troops.

No, I'm arguing that just because they are in the military (or any other government service for that matter) doesn't mean they get a free pass at obeying laws. Maybe if someone does something *REALLY* good like single-handedly wipe out Al Qaeda Rambo style we should turn a blind eye as they screw little kids in the butt, I mean after all they were willing to die to help the country out, why not afford them an indulgence, right? The law is the law, and nobody despite who they are should ever be above it no matter how serious or trivial the offense is.

It's not about movies. It's about doing the right thing morally. You can't logically justify copyright infringement and piracy "because your job is really dangerous". I definitely think that the studios should give easy access to content for our military personnel overseas. Hell, it would do a bunch to even possibly help their public image. However, it doesn't give the soldiers a right to just pirate content.

I don't give a shit about corporate profits. I do care about our soldiers behaving morally. Do the country a favor and start thinking like a morally responsible adult instead of like an entitled little boy.
You sir have no idea what we go through over in Iraq and Afghanistan. Soldiers behaving morally? Are you kidding me? As a US Marine, I was ordered to do several things that were less than moral, but if they hadn't been done more American lives would have been lost because some politician who has never seen his best friend blown apart by a home made explosive device thinks its "immoral" to shoot at someone until they shoot at you first.

I think copyright infringement is a minimal infringement of "morals" for a soldier to undertake. You clearly have a warped view of morals if you think a soldier that kills or may be killed for someone else's beliefs is committing some kind of moral crime by trying to enjoy a movie in his few hours of time off overseas, whether it was legally obtained or not in a country where copyright holds no power.

Maybe you should have a year deployment in Afghanistan living in the desert like I did and see if you give a shit about copyright.

The soldiers are not there to watch movies. They're there to work. I think 45,000 movies are more than enough to go around. The numbers are still going up.

Speak to anyone in any branch and ask them what "Hurry up and wait" means.

The law is the law, and nobody despite who they are should ever be above it no matter how serious or trivial the offense is.

This is not at all how the world works. It's fine for an academic discussion, but it is not applicable to real world situations, even more so extreme environments. I respect your idealism, but like it or not, our world is definitely and irrevocably all about shades of grey.

We are all missing the point. How did a 92 year old learn to use a computer? I can't even get my grandparents to the point where they can burn crap. My grandfather can at least open web pages, but he thinks if you let anyone else touch the computer it will blow up.

Believe it or not, there were computers back around likely before you were born.. and ya, guys like this probably worked on them..

besides you go buy a CD/DVD burning tower, toss in the software click copy and done... not all old people are senial technological idiots..just most.

Have you ever been deployed? Do you know what its like to be away from family and friends for months and years?

I've been away from family and friends for months + years before.

Do you know what its like to wear the same clothes and not take a shower for weeks?

I've been camping before.

Do you know what its like to not know if you'll be alive that night or the next day?

Yes, in fact we all do, daily. Nobody knows the exact time of their death.

Yes they're working but they need an oppurtunity to relax also.

I never claimed otherwise.

Unless you've been there you have no place to say what they're "supposed" to do.

I don't have to be in their boots to know not to break laws and infringe copyright.

Until you've walked in those boots you no idea what its like to be there.

I'd agree on the part about not knowing what it's like unless you experience it. However, it still doesn't give them a right to break laws because they are having a rough time.

They're working to protect YOUR freedom.

No they aren't. Iraq was not a threat to my freedom. Bin Laden is dead. I'd say the soldiers do believe they are fighting for my (our) freedom, but they are being duped. However, this is another topic entirely.

Pfft DVD? So 12 years ago
In any case 300K? Thats a lot. And hes sending actual copys of the DVDs not rips?

I don't have to be in their boots to know not to break laws and infringe copyright.
I'd agree on the part about not knowing what it's like unless you experience it. However, it still doesn't give them a right to break laws because they are having a rough time.
No they aren't. Iraq was not a threat to my freedom. Bin Laden is dead. I'd say the soldiers do believe they are fighting for my (our) freedom, but they are being duped. However, this is another topic entirely.

You sir are simply too stupid for words if you think the threat of random death that a civilian in the US faces from day to day equates to the constant threat of death our soldiers in harms way face every day.

Was it 130 degrees where you went camping while wearing/carrying around 200lbs of ammo, body armor, and gear? Did you go camping for 3 months in a row, shitting in a bucket and "washing" yourself with baby wipes?

....you do realize we aren't paying taxes out there as soldiers, not to mention the government LETS the Afghan vendors on base knowing full well they are selling "copyright protected" movies. In fact, coming home through customs they check EVERYTHING you bring home, and pirated movies are simply passed over, because the only people who even give a shit about the movie industry and their profits is, you guessed it, the movie industry.

Have you ever been deployed? Do you know what its like to be away from family and friends for months and years? Do you know what its like to wear the same clothes and not take a shower for weeks? Do you know what its like to not know if you'll be alive that night or the next day?

Yes they're working but they need an oppurtunity to relax also. Unless you've been there you have no place to say what they're "supposed" to do. Until you've walked in those boots you no idea what its like to be there. They're working to protect YOUR freedom.

Blah blah blah, I get SO tired of listen to that line. They're not there to protect our freedom. They're there because Bush's daddy got his panties in a wad over the UN ruling so he took it on himself to finish his daddy's work. And so that the military industrial complex can make some money. And so we can protect our oil supply. It has nothing to do whatsoever with our freedom.

I already said someone's still pouring in plenty of movies in legal manners. But keep on justifying illegal methods guys. Only in [H].

You sir are simply too stupid for words if you think the threat of random death that a civilian in the US faces from day to day equates to the constant threat of death our soldiers in harms way face every day.
He didn't equate the threat. He was asked a question and he answered it. Correctly.

If you have a problem with the guy, fine, but don't be unreasonable about it.

Blah blah blah, I get SO tired of listen to that line. They're not there to protect our freedom. They're there because Bush's daddy got his panties in a wad over the UN ruling so he took it on himself to finish his daddy's work. And so that the military industrial complex can make some money. And so we can protect our oil supply. It has nothing to do whatsoever with our freedom.

I already said someone's still pouring in plenty of movies in legal manners. But keep on justifying illegal methods guys. Only in [H].

Doesnt matter if the war is right or wrong. Nothing wrong with supporting the troops. In fact in the US many support the troops by wanting them to come home......
Troops are there cause they are sent there and not all of them necesarilly agree with whats going on.

They're not there to protect our freedom. They're there because Bush's daddy got his panties in a wad over the UN ruling so he took it on himself to finish his daddy's work. And so that the military industrial complex can make some money. And so we can protect our oil supply. It has nothing to do whatsoever with our freedom.

They're there because they're given orders and they follow them. If they do not follow orders they are court-marshaled and dishonorably discharged. A DD is equivalent to a Felony crime, and no soldier, airman, sailor, or marine is looking for one. All that "conscientious objector" crap goes out the window the first time you have a buddy blown to kibble by an IED. In addition, "The Savior" Obama has not ordered the troops back as he promised to do in his campaign so your drivel about Bush is completely irrelevant. Bush has been gone for over 3 years. Give it a rest. It doesn't matter how they got there the fact is they are there because the government ordered them to be there, and they deserve the utmost respect for what they have to put up with day in and day out. You don't want them overseas? Explain that to the people that can actually do something about it. Good luck with that.

If you want to bitch about the oil supply being overseas you might want to complain to Obama about the Keystone pipeline and every other project that would or could produce oil domestically. Too bad the Sierra Club and the Democrat controlled Senate and Executive branch won't allow any new domestic energy production, and the EPA is even looking to put CO2 limits on coal plants. Solyndra failed hugely, and every other government-funded... or wait, I meant TAXPAYER funded so-called green energy program has or is falling on its face. That means we're stuck with foreign oil, and without it the country grinds to a halt. No oil means no fuel, no fuel means no trucks, no trucks means no food. Perhaps you'd like to return to living in the 18th century, assuming you survive the food riots? Let me know when someone invents cars and powerplants that run on Marie Antoinette's special cake batter. Until then stfu and appreciate what you have for a change instead of bitching about people that are doing without and dodging bullets.

Steve: My apologies for adding wood to the fire, but I absolutely cannot stand people bashing the military over what is not their fault.

They're there because they're given orders and they follow them. If they do not follow orders they are court-marshaled and dishonorably discharged. A DD is equivalent to a Felony crime, and no soldier, airman, sailor, or marine is looking for one. All that "conscientious objector" crap goes out the window the first time you have a buddy blown to kibble by an IED. In addition, "The Savior" Obama has not ordered the troops back as he promised to do in his campaign so your drivel about Bush is completely irrelevant. Bush has been gone for over 3 years. Give it a rest. It doesn't matter how they got there the fact is they are there because the government ordered them to be there, and they deserve the utmost respect for what they have to put up with day in and day out. You don't want them overseas? Explain that to the people that can actually do something about it. Good luck with that.

If you want to bitch about the oil supply being overseas you might want to complain to Obama about the Keystone pipeline and every other project that would or could produce oil domestically. Too bad the Sierra Club and the Democrat controlled Senate and Executive branch won't allow any new domestic energy production, and the EPA is even looking to put CO2 limits on coal plants. Solyndra failed hugely, and every other government-funded... or wait, I meant TAXPAYER funded so-called green energy program has or is falling on its face. That means we're stuck with foreign oil, and without it the country grinds to a halt. No oil means no fuel, no fuel means no trucks, no trucks means no food. Perhaps you'd like to return to living in the 18th century, assuming you survive the food riots? Let me know when someone invents cars and powerplants that run on Marie Antoinette's special cake batter. Until then stfu and appreciate what you have for a change instead of bitching about people that are doing without and dodging bullets.

Steve: My apologies for adding wood to the fire, but I absolutely cannot stand people bashing the military over what is not their fault.

More right wing drivel. How easily they forget how much we've advanced over the decades.

My tirade wasn't meant to depreciate the troops. It was on why they were ordered there. Nice job twisting my words. Fucking tea party people, I swear.

Next you'll tell me the 98-year-old was in the right and was on holy crusade to entertain your beloved military. You know, the topic on hand?

Oh boy.. and this is why liberals get a bad name. Btw, I think I qualify as a liberal. But arguing a small benefit provided the troops AND bringing politics into it? Bad idea. Just walk away and let the troops have their hour of fun during 6-10 months of hell.

More right wing drivel. How easily they forget how much we've advanced over the decades.
If the current state of the world is what you call advancement I think you need to learn that the stern is not the front of the ship.

My tirade wasn't meant to depreciate the troops. It was on why they were ordered there. Nice job twisting my words. Fucking tea party people, I swear.
I didn't twist anything, and if you disagree with the orders that sent them there then you still have not explained as to why Obama, the Commander in Chief, has not ordered them home. Explain that if you want to lay it all on Bush. You won't because you can't, just as you did not bother to refute anything I said about America's dependence on foreign oil. You cannot defend your position so I'm somehow twisting your words... That's typical of someone that has no facts to back their opinion. "Yeah, I can't argue with this guy so I'll stereotype him and write him off as a hatemonger". Bush has been out of office for almost four years. Get over it. It's your guy's watch, you put him in office. Tell me how many campaign promises he's kept to you. Gitmo's open still, troops are still in Iraq and Afghanistan, and I seem to recall him referring to the Federal deficit of the time as being "immoral"... yet now it's gone from the billions (that's with a B) to over 1 Trillion (that's with a T) under his watch. But that's all Bush's fault. It's always easier to blame someone else than to take responsibility, isn't it? If you want to know who's at fault just look in the mirror. You put him there. He's your problem. If you think you know so much better, then you go ahead and figure out how to make your guy keep his promises. You better hurry up because he only has about seven months to get it all done.

Next you'll tell me the 98-year-old was in the right and was on holy crusade to entertain your beloved military. You know, the topic on hand?
Before I answer that, answer me this first: Do you legally own every piece of software you have, and have you immediately reported everyone you know who has ever pirated anything at all to the authorities?

What do you expect? He cant do what he promised cause the stupid GOP wont let him. Republicans like to bash obama when its not his fault. So clueless.

The GOP did not have control of the House of Representatives for Obama's first two years in office. Democrats had both houses of Congress and the Presidency, including a filibuster-proof Senate majority. If the Republicans are so powerful as a double minority in Congress that Obama can't get anything done in his first two years... well, that's funny, I thought he was supposed to work miracles and fix everything after that evil George Bush was out of office! See, the blame game only works if the other guy can actually do something to impede you. Republicans could do nothing. For two years the Democrats had free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted. If I'm somehow clueless by understanding all this then I'm still light-years ahead of where you are since you seem to have not been paying attention for a few years now.

The GOP did not have control of the House of Representatives for Obama's first two years in office. Democrats had both houses of Congress and the Presidency, including a filibuster-proof Senate majority. If the Republicans are so powerful as a double minority in Congress that Obama can't get anything done in his first two years... well, that's funny, I thought he was supposed to work miracles and fix everything after that evil George Bush was out of office! See, the blame game only works if the other guy can actually do something to impede you. Republicans could do nothing. For two years the Democrats had free reign to do whatever the hell they wanted. If I'm somehow clueless by understanding all this then I'm still light-years ahead of where you are since you seem to have not been paying attention for a few years now.

Free reign? lol
Please, Obama was shut down on everything he tried to do. In any case he may have been waiting for reelection so he couldnt get demonized.

The GOP did not have control of the House of Representatives for Obama's first two years in office. Democrats had both houses of Congress and the Presidency, including a filibuster-proof Senate majority.

Is that old line still being thrown around today?

Here's a good read on this BS. Lots more other sites that talk about it too, but I'm not going to do your research for you since you obviously won't bother with it.

I bumped Submit too soon.

Before I answer that, answer me this first: Do you legally own every piece of software you have, and have you immediately reported everyone you know who has ever pirated anything at all to the authorities?

Brace yourself: yes. I legally own every single software, every single movies, every single songs I have.

Now answer me this: was that question a misdirect to my question? Once again are you going to tell me the 98-year-old was in the right and was on holy crusade to entertain your beloved military. You know, the topic on hand?

Is that old line still being thrown around today?

Here's a good read on this BS. Lots more other sites that talk about it too, but I'm not going to do your research for you since you obviously won't bother with it.

You're splitting hairs with me over a single point of fact while avoiding everything else I said in order to avoid the other points, and then you accuse me of misdirecting the conversation. Accusing the other person of doing exactly what you've already done yourself is straight out of the playbook. I suppose that's the best you can do.

I own every single software, every single movies, every single songs I have.
You accuse me of misdirecting in order avoiding scrutiny yourself. You are the one misdirecting as you never answered the second part of my question. Are you afraid to answer it fully?

I think that statement is HIGHLY questionable, but okay.

You've said this at least twice now. The guy was 92, it says it in the thread title.

whether you believe me or not is your own prerogative. And yeah I keep hitting 98 for some reason. Not sure why :-P

Back