915P Or 925X ?, DDR Only, DDR II Only Or Both DDR And DDR II ?

915P Vs 925X + DDR Vs. DDR II (Which Should I Choose?)

• 915P (DDR Only)

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 915P (DDR II Only)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 925X (DDR II)

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • 915P (DDR + DDR II)

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

apdurkee

n00b
I am torn between the 915P and 925X chipsets, as well as DDR and DDR II memory. Which chipset and memory are the way to go if I want to do a lot of overclocking?

Right now, neither of those two chipsets overclock very well; in fact, Intel has (officially) limited the overclocking capability on both chipsets to 10% maximum over stock speed. This means that for a 2.8GHz CPU, you cannot overclock beyond 3.08GHz with either the 915 or the 925X chipset unless you also overclock your PCI-e bus to out-of-spec clocks.

So, if you want substantial overclocking capability/ability, you'll have to settle for a legacy AGP-equipped motherboard that uses Socket 478 and the 865PE/875P chipset.

E4g1e said:
Right now, neither of those two chipsets overclock very well; in fact, Intel has (officially) limited the overclocking capability on both chipsets to 10% maximum over stock speed. This means that for a 2.8GHz CPU, you cannot overclock beyond 3.08GHz with either the 915 or the 925X chipset unless you also overclock your PCI-e bus to out-of-spec clocks.

So, if you want substantial overclocking capability/ability, you'll have to settle for a legacy AGP-equipped motherboard that uses Socket 478 and the 865PE/875P chipset.

There are work arounds for the "locks".....do a search and check them out. I'm at work right now so don't have the time. :D If memory serves me correct Abit and Asus both have work arounds for these chipsets.

It is possible to OC on my gigabyte board I hit 235 stable now testing an AG8. :)

I am currently looking into the Abit AA8 Duramax motherboard. HardOcp gave the board a great review and there are a bevy of overclocking options in the BIOS as well.

Back