90's X-Men arcade ported for XBL and PSN

skiddy

2[H]4U
***UPDATE: Sources have confirmed X-Men arcade will be released on Dec 15th for Xbox live, and sometime in February for PSN:

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...-x-men-arcade-debuts-on-xbox-live-next-week/1

This is quite possibly the best gaming news I've heard all year. Does anyone else remember the 6 player, beat 'em up X-Men arcade game back in the early-mid 90's? I used to drop like $5 in quarters when I was 9 years old. :p

Well it looks like it's coming to the PS3 and 360 quite soon. Online 6 person multiplayer as well... can't wait!

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/112/1126921p1.html

Last edited:
This one goes in the WIN column.
Also, Online 6-player drop-in multiplayer mode is fapworthy.

Don't let the rose tints get you too much, depends how much it is I guess but I'd try a refresh on MAME first.

I played it on MAME and it was great until I found out it's under an hour long.

It's about time! :)

Will it allow multiplayer locally or is strickly online?

it was children of the atom or somethign of that nature if recall, kinda was disappointing when me and my brother in law beat it in like 35-40 min on my MAME cab,

we both were like wtf, we used to spend so much time as kids trying to make it this far and thats it?

This is nice. I stopped playing all those Arcade games because with MAME I get infinite continues, so I can't stop myself from just pounding the special button forever. Who cares? Not wasting my money. Hopefully this will put me back in the right mindset =p

This is nice. I stopped playing all those Arcade games because with MAME I get infinite continues, so I can't stop myself from just pounding the special button forever. Who cares? Not wasting my money. Hopefully this will put me back in the right mindset =p

Yea if the game has an unlimited mode I'm interested. Thing is wasn't the 6 player version dual monitor only?

I'm pretty sure there was a single monitor 6 player version of it. I think it was widescreen to.

mame has the widescreen 6 player version.

on the arcades the single monitor version was only 4 players

Man this game was at my local dollar movie theater when I was growing up, tons of people would play it. I love this game!

remember my cousins and I arguing who gets to play nightcrawler at the arcade back in the day... good times

this and The Punisher were my favorite side-scroller beat em ups

mame has the widescreen 6 player version.

on the arcades the single monitor version was only 4 players

I was gonna say... didn't remember any six player version of ANY video game in the arcades.

I was gonna say... didn't remember any six player version of ANY video game in the arcades.

It was one of the few that did. Double wide cabinet with dual screens side by side and 6 player support. The 2 and 4 player verisons had player select. If I remember right all of the 6 player versions didn't. You picked your character based on what controls they used.

The mame widescreen version is the dual monitor one.

Only other games I can think of that supported really more then 4 players were racing games that used multiple cabinets. Guess some of the newer online games might support more as well(golden tee supports like 50 person tournaments).

xmenarcade.jpg

x-men%20arcade.jpg

I remember the 2-screen effect was annoying to me. Whenever your character would cross the center of the screen it would be distorted as though they weren't 100% in sync with one another. Plus, that was part of that generation of mashers like TMNT that required you to either be a complete master or spend a small fortune in tokens to accomplish anything. I bet arcade operators were making serious $$$ in those days.
I remember playing Double Dragon and Bad Dudes and could win both with $0.25 to $0.50. My local Aladdin's Castle probably hated seeing stuff like that.

TMNT: Turtles in Time is out already on PSN and Live Arcade. It's not an arcade perfect port though, they updated the graphics.

oh....didn't know that!

I just remember ruling that game on SNES..used to keep track of my scores and how much time it took me to complete on the hard mode.

my work bought a mame cabinet for the lunchroom, XMen has been good.

That is badass!!! This game was so sick at the local bowling alley / pizza joint... Ooooooooooooh yeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!

I'm with you. They need to do the same to the original turtles arcade and The Simpsons :D Oh and Final Fight and maybe Vendetta......

They already did it with the original, thats on xbox arcade as well....Simpsons yes, Final Fight would be good too. Alien VS. Predator arcade is better than most as well.

They already did it with the original, thats on xbox arcade as well....Simpsons yes, Final Fight would be good too. Alien VS. Predator arcade is better than most as well.

Hang on, they re-drew the original in 3d? *runs to turn 360 on*

EDIT - Just remembered I downloaded the trial but never played it. Just tried, looks awful....far better on an arcade cab. Was looking forward to some old skool Turtles brushed up then!

Final Fight arcade was released on XBL and PSN in April 2010.

I know, got the PS3 version, it's just the arcade with a few tacky bells and whistles, I mean being re-done ala Turtles in Time.

it was children of the atom or somethign of that nature if recall, kinda was disappointing when me and my brother in law beat it in like 35-40 min on my MAME cab,

we both were like wtf, we used to spend so much time as kids trying to make it this far and thats it?

Nope...children of the atom was later on in life and was similar to streetfighter

The one being discussed here is the side scroller beat'em up with dazzler, night crawler, wolverine etc. Dazzler was bad ass back in the day as was night crawler

90's was such a good year for x-men, I think japanese animation is what ended up pushing them out.

90's was such a good year for x-men, I think japanese animation is what ended up pushing them out.

for those of us who grew up with them yes maybe anime did push them out, mostly because of the art style and stories... plus voice acting...... for those who were born in the 90's even just in the last decade, they grew up on Mt. Dew and Red Bull, mixed in with the ADHD inducing being that I call SpongeBob

Seriously... who could beat: Talespin, the Real Ghostbusters, RescueRanger, Ducktales, TMNT, X-men, & Spiderman.... all of those were early 90's cartoons, at least ones that I remember. I even found some online and downloaded them just to watch them all over again.

Those were some of the BEST, those defined saturday morning cartoons, I would wake up early on saturday just to catch the ghostbusters.

I doubt the inducing of mass-stimulation has anything to do with the older (better IMO) cartoon/story stuff getting pushed out, I think it has to do with people getting REALLY lazy. If a story doesn't spell it out for you now then its a horrible story and shouldn't be published. If a story gives every detail, doesn't give you anything to theorize about or speculate on what COULD happen then its golden!

Anime does that, every detail is expressed, infact 90% of the time reading/watching the damn stuff is nothing but explanation ...

example, two SUPER-DUPER powered characters are in an epic battle for the universe, but villian wants to tell superhero why hes better. This takes 3 episodes or 5 chapters in a comic to accomplish.

X-men - Juggernaut comes in smashes the entire place up, collossus comes in armored up and pushes him down a cliff. Xavier erases his mind, more carnage ensues. One episode.

for those of us who grew up with them yes maybe anime did push them out, mostly because of the art style and stories... plus voice acting...... for those who were born in the 90's even just in the last decade, they grew up on Mt. Dew and Red Bull, mixed in with the ADHD inducing being that I call SpongeBob

Seriously... who could beat: Talespin, the Real Ghostbusters, RescueRanger, Ducktales, TMNT, X-men, & Spiderman.... all of those were early 90's cartoons, at least ones that I remember. I even found some online and downloaded them just to watch them all over again.

Showing my age here, but nothing beats the original Looney Toons, Dungeons and Dragons, Scooby Doo, and Transformers.

Back