90 Year Old Grandma Using An Oculus Rift

Amazing how awesome and humbling it must feel to see someone, say that there exists something today where they can only describe as simply, "heavenly".

yea but who knows how poor her eye sight is. let's face it, old folks are even impressed by justin beiber

anyways, looking forward to a [H]ardocp review on the thing, you guys getting one soon or waiting for the consumer release?

Marketing stun. And its working!

And why not, because that's the first thing I'm going to do is let my mother try this on first so she can feel the same type of awe and beauty and it exists.

i can't see this taking off too well... motion sickness?

i'd hate to wear this thing only to walk around with keyboard buttons...

Because it takes a 90 year old with dementia to test something that any normal user has long since dismissed as meh.

and some people get sick from roller coasters. Does that mean they are doing poor business? Yes, VR wont be for everybody. Some people have weak equilibrium. But I think there's enough of us out there who dont suffer problems with vertigo to make a device like this profitable. It's not like it has to be sold with every console/computer and have support with every video game to succeed. Afterall theres plenty of business in joystick manufacturers and gamepads and so forth.

There are a lot of reasons why this may not end up "taking off". People have vision problems (nearsightedness is an issue), different intraocular distances requiring different sets of calibration of stereoscopy for different people, simulator sickness (which will likely affect everyone in varying degrees), certain safety issues, general inadequacy of display technologies with regard to pixel density, refresh rates and pixel response times and, of course, price. They're all obstacles. Some of them are big obstacles.

None are deal breakers, though. There are just a lot of complicated parameters to it, and it's not going to be for everyone. But it doesn't have to be. Even in a very raw, underdeveloped and incomplete form, with an awful display panel, the Rift DK is a compelling product. With a really great display — something at least 2560x1600 — it's going to go from being compelling to being remarkable.

yes it'll be a while before resolution really gets high enough so you can't see individual pixels. That, along with user-dependent focusing, will really break through... this is good progress though, nonetheless

Everything I have read and scene via youtube on the Rift has been very positive. I'm very excited for the product and hope to be using it when Star Citizen is released.

I don't get the negative comments here, this device seems way more exciting than smartphones and tablets. The Oculus Rift is exactly what I want in the future, not Google Glass or Windows 8.

Already bought the prototype and will be buying the consumer version in 2014/2015.

People that old are a drain on society. Grind her up and make sausage so that the rest of us may live.

Cute old lady, though.

Waiting on the Oculus 3D, with OLED parallax screens!

This is it.
This technology will not really take off until OLED is mature.
And from what I'm reading manufactures are having a lot of problems getting good yields from the current manufacturing processes. But the technology is so promising Panasonic has stopped development of Plasma displays to focus on OLED. OLED is the future.

As someone in their mid forties I want to think someone would do something cool for me when I'm that age. Rock on grandma.

Waiting for the Nintendo Virtual Boy emulator to come out...

Thanks a lot for reminding me of the worst system Nintendo ever made. I had almost forgotten about it... Now it is going to be there for another 5 years or so.

This technology will not really take off until OLED is mature.
OLED is certainly useful but non-essential. The more immediately-pressing issue is the pixel density: the tightening up of the pixel response time and the availability of true blacks are "nice to haves".

Never tried this, is this kind of like watching a 3D movie, except it's 3D and it's 'everywhere you look' basically?

Because it takes a 90 year old with dementia to test something that any normal user has long since dismissed as meh.

This is what's wrong with this generation.
No appreciation for anything. :(

Never tried this, is this kind of like watching a 3D movie, except it's 3D and it's 'everywhere you look' basically?

Yeah, it's a thing that's been around since the 90's, you know, virtual reality. ;) :p

In certain applications, there is a need for additional motion input. For example, in flight sim, the joystick is used to control the aircraft while the mouse is used to interact with the cockpit. A VR headset with motion sensors can be use to control the pilot's view. It makes the sim experience better because now you are acting like you are really there in the aircraft, just turn your head to look around instead of having to use the keyboard.

Another great application would be racing games where sometimes you would want to look around while your hands are on the steering.

Yeah, it's a thing that's been around since the 90's, you know, virtual reality. ;) :p

heh, well I guess I should go look it up, was just wondering why people get so excited about it, like if it did something else extraordinary.. And agreed about the appreciation comment, I can't help but wonder what would compel someone to be so rude for no reason.

Imagine an IMAX 3D movie that has perfect stereoscopic 3D (no flickering and motion shuttering) and you control the camera with your head. It seems kind of silly, but that's the best way to describe it: it's quite a lot like IMAX.

As long as there's head tracking so I dont have to control the camera manually I'd have no problem with keyboard controls. I'd love to play a game like Half-Life with one of these, it will take immersion to the next level once all the bugs are worked out.

I can even see non-gaming examples like true 3D/panoramic photography where you can look around like you were standing in the exact spot where the photographer was and seeing everything.

There are a few people here who are excited about it, but it's its a lot like home theater owners who jumped on the 3D TV thing. They're excited to purchase something new to them and will find a variety of reasons to justify excitement over the product while disregarding the repitition or recent history. Its their money and time though so let them be excited and have their fun with it while they don't know.

There are a lot of reasons why this may not end up "taking off". People have vision problems (nearsightedness is an issue), different intraocular distances requiring different sets of calibration of stereoscopy for different people, simulator sickness (which will likely affect everyone in varying degrees), certain safety issues, general inadequacy of display technologies with regard to pixel density, refresh rates and pixel response times and, of course, price. They're all obstacles. Some of them are big obstacles.

None are deal breakers, though. There are just a lot of complicated parameters to it, and it's not going to be for everyone. But it doesn't have to be. Even in a very raw, underdeveloped and incomplete form, with an awful display panel, the Rift DK is a compelling product. With a really great display — something at least 2560x1600 — it's going to go from being compelling to being remarkable.

The Rift comes with adjustable lenses to deal with the eyesight issues you described.

The different stereoscopy sets are easy and done by software already on any current 3d technology, you can easily change it with a couple keybinds, you can see it with for example Iz3d and anaglyph glasses.

If Oleds would advance enough then we could get quite a bit of the display technologies issues fixed, so those are still so so.

Still i am becoming a believer because developers are finally being blown away with the trials, although they are discovering that some of the usual graphics hacks used for 2d don't really translate well to 3d with a head tracking camera (shadows and plants seem to be the main culprits, alongside low resolution textures being totally in your face)

In certain applications, there is a need for additional motion input. For example, in flight sim, the joystick is used to control the aircraft while the mouse is used to interact with the cockpit. A VR headset with motion sensors can be use to control the pilot's view. It makes the sim experience better because now you are acting like you are really there in the aircraft, just turn your head to look around instead of having to use the keyboard.

Another great application would be racing games where sometimes you would want to look around while your hands are on the steering.

Spot on, but for racing I'd say it's more then just that, with true VR you can better judge the corner depth and angle, you can also look to the corner apex instead to guessing where it is.

The Rift comes with adjustable lenses to deal with the eyesight issues you described.
It's not a full solution at this point. The included cups don't cover the entire range of nearsightedness and some users are going to need a more finely-tuned solution.

To put things in perspective, when she was born TV didn't exist, now she can strap two of them to her head and it can track her movements and show her another world.

Waiting on the Oculus 3D, with OLED parallax screens!
Uh, the Oculus Rift already does 3D... that's kinda one of its headline features.

Not sure OLED will really add much over the IPS LCD they're using now. Black levels on IPS are already quite good when looking head-on at the panel (which is all you can physically do in a VR headset).

Uh, the Oculus Rift already does 3D... that's kinda one of its headline features.

Not sure OLED will really add much over the IPS LCD they're using now. Black levels on IPS are already quite good when looking head-on at the panel (which is all you can physically do in a VR headset).

What? Black levels on IPS panels are absolute garbage dude.

How anyone could call them "quite good" is astounding. The deepest you'll see on an IPS panel @ 120 cd/m2 is 0.11-0.12, for comparison a great plasma's blacks register at about 0.005 cd/m2.

And soon we will have rooms, FILLED with old people using oculus rift's, showing pictures of stunning times of old, massive gardens, wildlife, and slowly we will filter the old people into a room, and turn them into Green or Red crackers each with a different taste, as it varies from person to person.

1 step closer to soylent green.

Back