90 gigs used on main drive but how?

yariman

n00b
Hi I built my pc around a month ago and im ready to partition it now and i just checked how much space i had already used on the my main drive and its 90 gigs. Initially it was only 15gb. I opened up exploer and went into c: and hovered my mouse over each folder and after adding up the space used by each folder it came to roughly 15gb. Ive got show all hidden files selected in fodler options so im not missing anything there, i deleted all the stuff in my trash can and i also did a disk clean up.

How do i find out whats using that extra 65gb?

yes its vista. Ill look into system retore and the right click properties tip.

Use an elevated cmd.exe prompt and type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" to see how much space is dedicated to systemrestore and shadow copies. Type the following to limit it to say 15GBs:

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=15GB

I love using a program called SpaceMonger that gives you a visual representation of your harddrive and shows you exactly where all that space is going to. Check it out. I prefer the old version as it doesnt require an install http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php

I use DiskData, similar to an old version of SpaceMonger in that you don't need to install it.

Check the infamous WinSxS folder. It's usually pretty large in Vista.

WinSxS is mostly a collection of hard links to other files, though, so that's rather deceptive - most of the files it reports being there are actually elsewhere on the disk.

It's system restore. My Vista install with no programs besides a few necessities, was almost 80 GB once. I reduced system restore to 20GB max.

FYI, it only uses the disk space up since it's available. It does have a soft cap where if disk space is limited, it doesn't use that much. But if you have a 1TB drive with just VIsta, it WILL eventually use the space. You can also right click on your hard drive, tools -> drive cleaner, then click more options and clear system restore points and get back a ton of room.

it was system retore afterall. I used the command prompt to restrict it to 15bg, im presuming thats enough for the average user. Total space used up is now 45gb from 90gb which is more acceptable. I have about 15gb of data so that leaves around 15gb for vista and 15 for restore.

Thank you everyone for your help there.

Back