90,000 HD DVD Players Sold In One Weekend

And those who debate someone basing their arguements on their spelling skills are believed not to have other legit arguements to counter them.

tsk tsk..

It's not about spelling skills, it's about an obvious lack of familiarity with the topic.

Exactly, I had missed this comment before, the front of every player has it spelled out in plain English no matter what country your buying it in. If you aren't familiar enough with the technology to even know how it's spelled, then you need to research it more before trying to sway others opinions about it.

HD DVD has always been cheaper than Blu-Ray. Always. So, if price determines the outcome everytime, HD DVD should have been winning from the beginning, and continue to enlarge their lead once the players hit $99.

But they haven't, and didn't, and won't. Blu-Ray is here to stay, whether HD DVD can stay as well is the question. You think the hardware manufacturers like to see the prices drop on their hardware so damn fast? I think by the critical point in either format's history, Blu-Ray will have a chance to compress the spread in prices further.

Wrong.

HDDVD is absolutely decimating BluRay in stand-alone player sales. The only reason Blu-Ray is still on the radar is because millions of people happened to end up with a player when they bought their PS3.

And before you try the "But they wanted a PS3 AND a Blu-Ray player!11!" argument", PS3 + Standalones outnumbered XBox360 HDs + Standalones 5 to 1 as of June 2007, but the highest weekly BR:HD ratio ever achieved in disc sales was 3:1, and is more often 1.5-2:1, meaning a vast majority of PS3 owners are not using their PS3 for BluRay.

(whey can't they spell the damn color correctly?)

becuase its called "Blu-Ray" for the ooo cool factor, the laser is not actually blue, its violet... so it really should be Violet-Ray... but that dosent really roll off the tounge now does it? lol

Why is Vizio the #1 flat panel tv company... price. Why is Walmart the worlds largest retailer...price. They are also the #2 company in the world for consumer electronics, because of price. Price performance ratio in my opinion will win this war.

I agree, i paid $800 for my first DVD player, and i had to go to compusa and bestbuy to see all 10~20 DVD's they had for sale... as soon as we started seeing more and more <$100 dvd players the DVD section exploded until it took over VHS entirely

The only reason Blu-Ray is still on the radar is because millions of people happened to end up with a player when they bought their PS3.

bingo, sony was betting two things in one package, their new gaming rig, and blue-ray... problem is it made the whole package too expensive (even with loosing money!) so their gaming rig is taking a huge hit, and blue ray still hasent taken off as they would like... so they screwed themselves twice! ouch! :eek:

please note that these are all just my opinions and should not be associated with anything(one) else... i am a rabid sony hater, and cant wait to watch BR crash and burn :p

As mentioned previously... I think we may know more after the Holiday sales figures come out. Though don't be too optimistic. Beta v VHS lasted a long long time and offered more differencing features then Blu-ray and HD-DVD (err did I spell those properly enough for an opinion?)

Blu-ray may have more blockbuster titles and Disney in their corner, but if HD-DVD sells massive amounts of players this holiday that could change the minds of production companies to stop being exclusive. If I remember correctly a few companies started to support both formats recently and left the exclusive Blu camp.

Another thing that was mentioned is price. If HD-DVD players drop below $200 to say $150... and Blu-Ray doesn't drop to something at least in the ball park. It will hurt Blu-ray... period. Just like DVD cheap players will encourage media sales.

Also don't forget the HD TV market. Many people don't have HD TVs so they aren't even in the market for either format. Prices on TVs are dropping, this may be the first holiday where HD TVs are a viable replacement for most consumers if they are shopping for a new TV.

This will spur more movement to either format as well, combine this with cheap HD-DVD players and it could change the tide of the war. The demand for the big titles may be too much for production companies to stick to one format or another... Which only hurts Blu-ray.

Honestly right now if Blu-ray doesn't come down in price they are in trouble. Right now Blu-ray is about twice the price as a HD-DVD player and this is going into the busiest time of year for electronics.

With these lower prices we will start seeing "normal" consumers shopping for HD video, these are the ones that will determine the war...

I don't think consumers are generally smart enough to say... "Blu-ray is better HD format and better titles, I will pay twice as much even in a format war" I suspect they will say... "This one is 1/2 the price, I'll get that"

I am a bit HD-DVD sided.... I DON'T care about interactive content, size etc. All I want is an HD movie. Added features to even a DVD is almost a joke. Sure I may check it out the first time I play the movie but after that I don't ever look at it again... I just play the movie.

If I can have HD content at 1/2 the price, you are darn right I will take the cheaper option.

The biggest thing Blu-Ray has going to it is still the PS3. Honestly I would rather just see one come out on top then I can go buy a player for a reasonable amount and expect it to be relevant in 2 years time. I just want to format way to be over regardless of winner.

I got a HD player with HDMI for under $100. It upconverts normal DVD's asl well. Even if HD DVD loses a few years from now, I still have a great player that upconverts.

As mentioned previously... I think we may know more after the Holiday sales figures come out. Though don't be too optimistic. Beta v VHS lasted a long long time and offered more differencing features then Blu-ray and HD-DVD (err did I spell those properly enough for an opinion?)

Blu-ray may have more blockbuster titles and Disney in their corner, but if HD-DVD sells massive amounts of players this holiday that could change the minds of production companies to stop being exclusive. If I remember correctly a few companies started to support both formats recently and left the exclusive Blu camp.

Another thing that was mentioned is price. If HD-DVD players drop below $200 to say $150... and Blu-Ray doesn't drop to something at least in the ball park. It will hurt Blu-ray... period. Just like DVD cheap players will encourage media sales.

Also don't forget the HD TV market. Many people don't have HD TVs so they aren't even in the market for either format. Prices on TVs are dropping, this may be the first holiday where HD TVs are a viable replacement for most consumers if they are shopping for a new TV.

This will spur more movement to either format as well, combine this with cheap HD-DVD players and it could change the tide of the war. The demand for the big titles may be too much for production companies to stick to one format or another... Which only hurts Blu-ray.

Honestly right now if Blu-ray doesn't come down in price they are in trouble. Right now Blu-ray is about twice the price as a HD-DVD player and this is going into the busiest time of year for electronics.

With these lower prices we will start seeing "normal" consumers shopping for HD video, these are the ones that will determine the war...

I don't think consumers are generally smart enough to say... "Blu-ray is better HD format and better titles, I will pay twice as much even in a format war" I suspect they will say... "This one is 1/2 the price, I'll get that"

I am a bit HD-DVD sided.... I DON'T care about interactive content, size etc. All I want is an HD movie. Added features to even a DVD is almost a joke. Sure I may check it out the first time I play the movie but after that I don't ever look at it again... I just play the movie.

If I can have HD content at 1/2 the price, you are darn right I will take the cheaper option.

Wow, I actually enjoyed reading your post. You touched all bases and made a good strong point at the end -- it's all about the benjimens.

While I feel BR is a superior technical format, I am of the opinion HD-DVD will win based primarily off of price.

Those of you arguiing that people will buy the player that can handle their content forget that most consumers are strongly inhibited by entry price of the hardware. I cant count the number of times Ive seen parents in a store buying something for kids/house and decide to go with a cheaper system/standard solely because of price.

In particular, if Toshiba/retailers foot the bill and cut the HD-DVD standalone players to <$100, the war will be over before most consumers knew it existed (and outside of a techie forum like this, most ocnsumers are clueless as to the idfference; all they know is they avoid the situation until a clear winner emrges to avoid betamax/vhs situation)

This past weekend I saw somethign incredible - I saw people rushing my local Walmart for an HD-DVD Player. The demand was so heavy, the electronics staff were willing to sell me multiple Nintendo Wiis as no one was pushing and shoving for them likr they were the players (that has since changed since the players were no longer on sale).

I gotta admit, i really found the frenzy for the HD-DVD Players at my local Wal-marts to be surprising. I dont know what it was like elsewhere, I visited 3 Wal-Marts (wanted to eBay them tbh; eBay they were selling for $150 plus S&H) and all of them sold out within 30min of getting them in stock.

Price is what people are waiting for; and I can sympathize, I have a 42" 1080i/720p Plasma on my wall right now and I am making do with a DVD player - unless I can get my hands on a sub-$100 HD system (I dont care which of the two; both have movies I like).

As much as UMD is I guess:p
Except that UMD was never sought to be a stand alone format. Sony never had a large Alliance backing the format and didn't push all that hard for other devices to use it. Unlike BR which is used in many stand-alone devices and has a huge alliance backing it.

Other than that, they are exactly alike oh and same with Beta :rolleyes:

And how many of them are on Ebay? lol
People buy it cheap, sell it for more. Did it for the 360 and PS3. Ton of the Toshiba HD-DVD players on Ebay atm. Some decent prices, some absurd.
Prices for hardware will go down. It's a fact thats as certain as the sun coming up.

Also, why is everybody quoting "price" as the reason HD DVD would win? The sale was a one time thing and the prices for both formats, hardware & software, aren't that far apart. BR hardware prices have dropped quite quickly and will continue to do so.

Good post overall, I just wanted to comment on this part:

I think this is a very key point. With HD TV it's really now just becoming "the time". We now see 42" and sometimes greater flatscreens for under $1000. When I got my 32" CRT HD TV five years ago ($700 as an open box special at CC) those same 42" flat screens were $4000. It really just now getting the point that "joe six pack" can strain the budget enough to buy an HD TV of respectable size. Then it becomes a matter of having content to actually show on that fancy new TV.

For the past few years, the main source of HD content has been premium packages through cable or satellite. Some folks also realized that they could get over-the-air HD broadcasts (and not pay a monthly fee for it), but that was largely restricted to large markets until this past year. Especially with the looming switch to digital TV signals in January 2009 and the requirement that all new TVs to have a digital tuner, digital TVs (at least SD and often HD) are now becoming the norm. This was not the case even a year ago.

So now we are in the situation where HD TVs are moving beyond the earlier adopter phase and people want their TV to look its best for friends and family. HD movie players are one avenue for that and many people like the idea of some form of home theater (and HTPCs are still an enthusiast thing). The natural direction is to get something similar to that DVD player they've used for the past 10 years or so, but that can handle the High Def content.

The HD player, however, is a secondary purchase for most of these people and they aren't looking to drop a bunch of cash for it. It was hard enough to get the $1K to buy the TV set, a $99 player sounds much better than a $400 one at that point. For them, it's not about specs, capabilities, etc. much beyond, "can it play a movie in high def?" If Sony/Panasonic/Samsung were selling Blu-Ray players for $99 over the past weekend, we'd be talking about them instead of HD-DVD. That, however, is not the case.

Good posts on either side. Plus you have to consider the PS3. Even if it isn't standalone, they have that user base for Blu-ray discs so i doubt it will go away soon. And as was said, competition is healthy and drives the prices down. (Look at the 8800 series video cards, barely any competition and prices are still fairly high)
I'll be going dual-format myself once the players are down in price tho and its one i like. (I'm not a big fan of Toshiba products)

The only people on the BlueRaye side have a PS3 or invested in one hoping it would eventually be the future. Sorry guys. I have niether, and my dvd player cost 10 dollars. I'm with the HD guys because they use common sense. :D

Wrong.

HDDVD is absolutely decimating BluRay in stand-alone player sales. The only reason Blu-Ray is still on the radar is because millions of people happened to end up with a player when they bought their PS3.

And before you try the "But they wanted a PS3 AND a Blu-Ray player!11!" argument", PS3 + Standalones outnumbered XBox360 HDs + Standalones 5 to 1 as of June 2007, but the highest weekly BR:HD ratio ever achieved in disc sales was 3:1, and is more often 1.5-2:1, meaning a vast majority of PS3 owners are not using their PS3 for BluRay.

Does it matter how they are winning the media war? I bet you the studios don't care. They look at media sales. The fact of the matter is, they are winning the media war. Who cares what the attach rate is, because in this case, there is the X factor, the PS3 which is not solely being purchased for movies.

And what do you consider decimating? The last known figure provided by HD DVD themselves was 60:40. That is not decimating, if you consider it so, then BD has been decimating HD DVD since the PS3's release.

Sorry no edit button, that last sentence should read:

And what do you consider decimating? The last known figure provided by HD DVD themselves was 60:40 in standalone players. That is not decimating, if you consider it so, then BD has been decimating HD DVD in media sales since the PS3's release.

Regarding Vizio and it's rise to dominance to #1 in LCD sales. Not exactly analogous in my opinion. Vizio and Olevia etc. entered into a mature market once LCD's dominance was largely set by the big manufacturers, Sony, Sharp, Samsung, etc. It was plasma vs. LCD for a while, and these were big ticket items. Once LCD's gained momentum, and LCD's were essentially commodotized, thats when the cheaper sets started to take over. You still see remnants of this when seeing recommendations for TVs, "screw that crap, pay extra for a Samsung/Sony/Sharp" etc.

Another popular notion brought up is the cheap DVD players, under $50 etc. Again, no competition at that point.

The only people on the BlueRaye side have a PS3 or invested in one hoping it would eventually be the future. Sorry guys. I have niether, and my dvd player cost 10 dollars. I'm with the HD guys because they use common sense. :D

The true "HD" guys have both, hell they also bought in to DVHS.

Sorry no edit button, that last sentence should read:

And what do you consider decimating? The last known figure provided by HD DVD themselves was 60:40 in standalone players. That is not decimating, if you consider it so, then BD has been decimating HD DVD in media sales since the PS3's release.

Regarding Vizio and it's rise to dominance to #1 in LCD sales. Not exactly analogous in my opinion. Vizio and Olevia etc. entered into a mature market once LCD's dominance was largely set by the big manufacturers, Sony, Sharp, Samsung, etc. It was plasma vs. LCD for a while, and these were big ticket items. Once LCD's gained momentum, and LCD's were essentially commodotized, thats when the cheaper sets started to take over. You still see remnants of this when seeing recommendations for TVs, "screw that crap, pay extra for a Samsung/Sony/Sharp" etc.

Another popular notion brought up is the cheap DVD players, under $50 etc. Again, no competition at that point.

60:40 is media sales since inception.

As of June it was 66.6:33.3 for standalone players, and 78:22 if you include XBOX HD players, which should be included as their only purpose is to serve as a HDDVD player.

That meats nearly 4 times as many people who had to choose between HDDVD and Bluray went for HD.

On top of that, those numbers don't include the 100 thousand this weekend, which means the numbers are more likely 80-85% HD, depending on blu-ray sales in during the time period.

The fact is, there were nearly as many HD players sold in one weekend as there were stand-alone bluray players in the US as of June 2007.

60:40 is media sales since inception.

As of June it was 66.6:33.3 for standalone players, and 78:22 if you include XBOX HD players, which should be included as their only purpose is to serve as a HDDVD player.

That meats nearly 4 times as many people who had to choose between HDDVD and Bluray went for HD.

On top of that, those numbers don't include the 100 thousand this weekend, which means the numbers are more likely 80-85% HD, depending on blu-ray sales in during the time period.

The fact is, there were nearly as many HD players sold in one weekend as there were stand-alone bluray players in the US as of June 2007.

Again, you could sell 100 billion stand alone players, but if you do not put out the media then it is all worthless. Getting the stand alone players out there will be great for a nice profit, but to "win" the format war you need studios & consumers getting into the media.

If Blu-ray is able to out sell HD-DVD in media with less stand alone players, what will happen if (when) Blu-ray lowers there price and we see a surge of Blu-ray buyers as we have here with HD-DVD.

The real question that should be asked here is how many of those people bought more HD-DVD movies, besides the ones they got for free?

Thinking people are buying players and NOT buying movies is idiotic. The 5 free is a sendaway. They would have to have the intent of buying the player and never, ever buying hd dvd movies. Its fully illogical to think thats going to happen. Give it up.

becuase its called "Blu-Ray" for the ooo cool factor, the laser is not actually blue, its violet... so it really should be Violet-Ray... but that dosent really roll off the tounge now does it? lol

The Sony FAQ says it uses a Blue laser vs a red one for normal CD/DVD and a Pink Laser for HD-DVD.

Also, Sony developed Blu-Ray and just had all of those companies join them.
Here is a neat Sony Blu-Ray Museum

Thinking people are buying players and NOT buying movies is idiotic. The 5 free is a sendaway. They would have to have the intent of buying the player and never, ever buying hd dvd movies. Its fully illogical to think thats going to happen. Give it up.

Really?
~Holiday present - receiver may not have really wanted it and thus will not buy anything and just watch the free movies it came with
~Bought for the purpose of getting those free movies, why buy more if nothing else interest them?
~Purchase for future purpose - such as waiting for X or Y movie on either format, but if something happens, forget, does not come, etc.
~Purchased for other reasons that viewing movies

I am sure there are more, but my brain is not thinking on this matter specifically, having to write a paper, but also the number ratio for the medias show that the lower selling player is selling more media, but why is that?

I own an xbox 360, so I always thought I'd add HD DVD through that way. But when this came along I jumped at it. I rented 300 through the 360, and I have HBO and ESPN in hi-def on a 56" toshiba DLP. So, I'm well aquainted (cable compression artifacts notwithstanding) with HD.

I'm happy with the player and it's value at under $100.00. However, I was in for one hell of a sticker shock when it came time to buy a few movies to watch on it. I picked up Serenity for $24.00 and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow for $19.99.

Conditioned to the low cost of current DVD's, this was a bit of a stretch. Most HD-DVD's were combo disks priced at $28.99. I would have loved to have picked up something more current, but I'm on a bit of budget.

There are some great titles on HD-DVD, and some great ones on Blu-Ray. I'd like to pick up the new Disney movie for the kids, and POTC for my wife.

While I'm encouraged at the 90k players sold, it seems to me for HD-DVD to win, not only do the players need to be priced in the $100 to $200 sweet spot, but the movies as well. I'm trying to not buy any regular DVD's and only buy HD. This is not easy currently.

I haven't seen anyone say it on this forum, but a lot of people feel the adult film industry will be balance that tips the war in HD's favor. I did a very cursory search last night and while I found several titles that said 'hi-def', it appeared to me to maybe have been shot in hi-def, but distributed on regular DVD. At any rate, I'll try to get the wife a little tipsy some night and maybe throw some adult HD title in.

It's interesting, now that I have a HD-DVD player, I don't feel like a fanboy, or even a fan, I just feel like a consumer who wants more titles at better prices.

We shall see.

There are some great titles on HD-DVD, and some great ones on Blu-Ray. I'd like to pick up the new Disney movie for the kids, and POTC for my wife.

While I'm encouraged at the 90k players sold, it seems to me for HD-DVD to win, not only do the players need to be priced in the $100 to $200 sweet spot, but the movies as well. I'm trying to not buy any regular DVD's and only buy HD. This is not easy currently.

NETFLIX!!!
I just switched out my acct. Now every movie that I had on my list that is in HD I will get. I get to watch all the goodness and not pay 28 bucks per. When price comes down I'll grab some for keeps.
The part I love is it is the same cost as before with Netflix. I'm just getting a better format :cool:

I think it can all be wrapped up in one sentence.

My Grandma now owns an HD-DVD player.

What some people do not realize is that this sale did several things. First of all, it basically shoved hi-def content at people. With a price of $99 for a player, it's not that much more than a halfway decent DVD player. Was it basically a one time sale? For now, yes. But it brought HD-DVD into view for much of the average buying public. This was a promotional deal which outweighs any free HD-DVDs which you would get with the purchase of a player. People don't see the movies on the shelf at low prices, they see the hardware which is almost always higher priced than the media at a rather low price. They think they are getting a good deal and will buy it up.

Now that HD-DVD has the attention of many average joes with this promotion, more people will look into buying media. The people that bought the player do not want to feel ripped off and will buy more HD-DVD movies. Some will do it because it has a better picture if they have a TV which can make use of it. Hardware sales of standalone players will spur sales of the media.

As for the comment about people not buying HD-DVD because Disney movies will only be on Blu-Ray for now are missing something important. More than likely many of these people already have the older Disney movies on DVD and won't see a reason to repurchase them in a hi-def format just for their children. For newer children's movies, they'll probably just buy the DVD if it doesn't come on HD-DVD as the HD-DVD player will play regular DVDs just fine and I'm guessing that most HD-DVD players will upsample regular DVDs if the TV can make use of it and most parents will think that is plenty good enough for their children.

You have to have the hardware out there to get the media sales. The cheaper the hardware, the better the deal the average person will think they are getting. Cheap hardware prices will drive media sales even if the media is more expensive than regular DVDs.

Another thing people are not taking into account is "keeping up with the Jones's.". Some of your average joes now have an HD-DVD player. Their neighbors and friends will see this and want to have one also if for nothing more than bragging rights. Even with prices higher than the sale price of $99, some people will fork out the extra money just so they don't "fall behind".

This was a limited time offer, but it's probably one of the biggest blows HD-DVD could have done to Blu-Ray. I will bet you right now that if HD-DVD media sales start rising at a decent pace, you'll see more and more bargains on HD-DVD players just to get new people to purchase more media. If hardware sales also keep increasing, there is a slim chance you will see HD-DVD media prices drop just a little in order to make people think they are getting a better deal.

Price isn't the sole factor in regards to this format war, but in the long run it will probably be the biggest deciding factor as it is in just about every other consumer electronics battle.

Really?
~Holiday present - receiver may not have really wanted it and thus will not buy anything and just watch the free movies it came with
~Bought for the purpose of getting those free movies, why buy more if nothing else interest them?
~Purchase for future purpose - such as waiting for X or Y movie on either format, but if something happens, forget, does not come, etc.

I am sure there are more, but my brain is not thinking on this matter specifically, having to write a paper, but also the number ratio for the medias show that the lower selling player is selling more media, but why is that?

You'll cut yourself with occam's razor if you don't watch out. You're taking the most UNLIKELY things and using them as your primary arguments. At its CORE your whole outlook on this is stupid. When have you EVER seen people buy such a product then never, ever buy media? Stop floundering with stupid crap.

The Sony FAQ says it uses a Blue laser vs a red one for normal CD/DVD and a Pink Laser for HD-DVD.

Also, Sony developed Blu-Ray and just had all of those companies join them.
Here is a neat Sony Blu-Ray Museum

oh wow, so i guess, since, you know, sony said so, it must be true...

but yes, sorry to tell you but that both "Blu-Ray" and HD-DVD use a 405 nm laser, and last time i checked this chart was still accurate...

violet 380&#8211;450 nm
blue 450&#8211;495 nm
green 495&#8211;570 nm
yellow 570&#8211;590 nm
orange 590&#8211;620 nm
red 620&#8211;750 nm

so, ya, its violet, actually very violet, near UV... so not even a little blue ;) :p

and wtf... a pink laser? wtf? those people are fricken crazy... also a CD uses infra-red, not red... DVD uses visible RED...

I WISH it had a blue laser in it, i would go out and buy a PS3 just to rip the laser diode out, blue lasers are stupidly expensive

*headache* When will the FUD about Blu-ray and HD DVD end? :(

I think it can all be wrapped up in one sentence.

My Grandma now owns an HD-DVD player.

Along with what, a 27" 4:3 CRT TV?

It matters who owns the players also. Wal-mart is definitely a different demographic in the electronics dept...
I wonder how many people actually went for this deal and will still only play movies from their DVD collection on it... I also wonder how many even have a TV to watch Hi-def content. How many people bought 2nd players for bedrooms, etc...?

I also wonder how much money Toshiba lost on this firesale...

Just found this...

Pretty bad when Spidey 3(HD) outsells the box office hit of the year:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6498744.html?desc=topstory

Really?

1) "Holiday present" - I would take it back and get my money. Why would I keep it if I'm not going to use it?
2) "Bought for the purpose of getting free movies." What the hell....you'll need the player to play those movies. Unless you are going to sell the movies, there is no use in keeping the free HD-DVDs either.
3) "Purchase for other reasons than viewing movies" - Umm, well I guess I'll just buy a HD-DVD player to......stare at.

You gusy arguiing this was a one tiem sale do have calendars in your offices right? This was a pre-Black Friday sale.

I have yet to see any sale in november that is no eclipsed by the Black Friday madness.

Esepcailly as every retial executive in the country just sat and watched this, you know theya re all calling Toshiba trying to get a carbon copy deal.

Sony pulled a betamax...again.

I have yet to see any sale in november that is no eclipsed by the Black Friday madness.

http://hddvd.com/

Unless one of the retailers decides to stir things up again, the next major HD DVD sale event is coming up on Black Friday when we know that Sears is offering the HD-A30 for $170. It’s not as sexy of a price as $99 for the HD-A2, but I’m sure there will be some other excitement and fireworks to look forward to as we head into the heart of the holiday season.

Doesn't look like it...

Along with what, a 27" 4:3 CRT TV?

It matters who owns the players also. Wal-mart is definitely a different demographic in the electronics dept...
I wonder how many people actually went for this deal and will still only play movies from their DVD collection on it... I also wonder how many even have a TV to watch Hi-def content. How many people bought 2nd players for bedrooms, etc...?

I also wonder how much money Toshiba lost on this firesale...

Just found this...

Pretty bad when Spidey 3(HD) outsells the box office hit of the year:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6498744.html?desc=topstory

Actually it's a 32", but you're missing the point.

She walked in looking for a DVD player, saw "High Definition" for less then 100 bux, so she got that. I didn't even know until she called me asking what HD-DVD is. She was concerned when I mentioned that there were 2 standards, but after asking how much BD players are running I got, "Who would buy that?" as the response.

So now she's looking at a 32" Olevia LCD and trying to find as many Mel Gibson movies on HD as possible :)

Back