8th Gen Intel Core Processor Family to Debut Aug. 21

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Intel is so excited about the solar eclipse occurring on the 21st that they’ve decided to unleash their latest processors on the same day. The company will be talking up their 8th gen family on Facebook Live: tune in for demonstrations by a VR creator/imaging technologist and get a sneak peek at some amazing system designs.

On Aug. 21, Intel will unveil the 8th Generation Intel Core processor family on Facebook Live. Watch as two exciting moments align: the Great American Solar Eclipse and the unveiling of Intel’s most powerful family of processors for the next era of computing. Hear from those who are at the center of creating this technology and from creators who are using the power of 8th Gen Intel Core technology in new and exciting ways.

Intel releasing two generations in the same year. On top of that, this "new" generation is not motherboard compatible with the previous one.

Isn't competition great? Intel actually releasing something on time rather than delaying it till next year.

Don't get too excited folks. This is just an "unveiling." The dreaded "paper launch." Intel might as well try to steal some media attention away from AMD. Since the technology is pretty much a known factor, I'll be more interested in release dates and pricing. Those waiting for CL may be pleasantly surprised, or may be disappointed.

4c/8t i3's and 6c/12t i7's yep that was totally planned all along. Max boost on 6 cores is 4.3ghz. yep should be interesting.

Going by the slides, there's no way the product would be ready for launch now, unless it was already in production for months.
Seems more likely to be a Fall product (mid/late October) and well in-advance of the Ryzen refresh.

What slides? Link please?

Going by the slides, there's no way the product would be ready for launch now, unless it was already in production for months.
Seems more likely to be a Fall product (mid/late October) and well in-advance of the Ryzen refresh.

I must admit, its sad how the blind loyalty runs in here.
There is no info here, there is no data, the rumors point to a new motherboards needed.

They raped us for 10 long years, forced the whole industry to overpriced quad cores CPU, gimped to the wazoo, so we had to pay even more for the features needed and people still want to give them more money...:mad::banghead:

I am personally using an I5-3570k, but there is nothing from intel that would stop me from buying a Ryzen. Actually, the one stopping me right now are AMD partners, since they dont feel the need to release a x370 mATX board.

If I were upgrading now it would be Ryzen. I am interested to see if Intel prices CL to better match Ryzen. Somehow I doubt the i7 8700 is going to be $200 like a R5 1600. If nothing else their next Pentium chip will make more sense since the i3s will now be quad core. If the i3 can perform the same or better than an OC'd R3 1200 then some may pick it up since it won't need a GPU for office work.

There is no info here, there is no data, the rumors point to a new motherboards needed.

They raped us for 10 long years, forced the whole industry to overpriced quad cores CPU, gimped to the wazoo, so we had to pay even more for the features needed and people still want to give them more money...:mad::banghead:

I am personally using an I5-3570k, but there is nothing from intel that would stop me from buying a Ryzen. Actually, the one stopping me right now are AMD partners, since they dont feel the need to release a x370 mATX board.

I was happy for what I paid for the Intel CPUs I've purchased for their level of performance. Just because AMD moved the bar doesn't mean I think Intel was raping people.

I was happy for what I paid for the Intel CPUs I've purchased for their level of performance. Just because AMD moved the bar doesn't mean I think Intel was raping people.
We didnt knew better then.

thanks to AMD, we now know that we were abused by intel.

Edit. We didnt knew about the price gouging, but we experienced having crippled CPU's just so we would buy something more expensive because we didnt have an option.

Now, i refuse to give them even my time.

Especially, if we ignore AMD now, they will die for good and the rape from intel will be off the scale.

Is anyone other than intel excited about this release?

Of course. I didn't read the article yet, but I am assuming there are mainstream 6 core CPUs coming from Intel soon. Great for those looking to game and do some multi tasking. Currently Ryzen is king for low budget computers looking for encoding and whatnot, but inferior to Intel for gaming. Imagine getting a CPU that is as good s Ryzen at encoding at similar price levels, but has Intel level performance in games.

It will come down to pricing for me. If I can get a 6 core CPU for $220 or so I may switch back to Intel. Otherwise my Ryzen is good enough for the time being.

This isn't the die shrink is it? I can't keep track of the ticks and tocks any more, when is the next die shrink?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can air cool the 6 core chips everyone will be all over this the chip is an 95 watt processor.
I would of called it Frappuccino Lake for good measure.

We didnt knew better then.

Sure we did.

thanks to AMD, we now know that we were abused by intel.

Because AMD rolled over and died for seven years, Intel didn't have to try so hard.

Also thanks to Intel, AMD had to release a many-core product to makeup for their bad IPC.

Edit. We didnt knew about the price gouging, but we experienced having crippled CPU's just so we would buy something more expensive because we didnt have an option.

You think R5s are somehow not crippled R7s? Or that a R7 1800X really cost AMD more than a 1700?

What slides? Link please?
ZW1oWGK.jpg

*Note - This was not among the slides Kyle posted though, so maybe the production numbers are off lol.
But yeah you can see the ww34'17 to ww41'17 (Aug 21 to Oct 9th).

I laughed. Blind loyalty? Yet here you mention you have an i5-3570K. It is so powerful you are able to use it for years after upgrading your old PC and hold on to it without needing to upgrade to a new faster CPU until Ryzen. Your hypocrisy is out of this world just like all the AMD fans that continue to tout the NEXT GPU release is the latest and greatest since the almighty 9800 Pro.

No. Intel didn't rape you. Intel saved you money while you ungrateful fools do nothing but bitch and moan. If you're angry, go blame AMD for lack of competition instead of hyping up each AMD CPU and GPU release.

I laughed. Blind loyalty? Yet here you mention you have an i5-3570K. It is so powerful you are able to use it for years after upgrading your old PC and hold on to it without needing to upgrade to a new faster CPU until Ryzen. Your hypocrisy is out of this world just like all the AMD fans that continue to tout the NEXT GPU release is the latest and greatest since the almighty 9800 Pro.

No. Intel didn't rape you. Intel saved you money while you ungrateful fools do nothing but bitch and moan. If you're angry, go blame AMD for lack of competition instead of hyping up each AMD CPU and GPU release.
You cant be for real or are you serious? All of your post is inane. Buying Intel at any point never means blind loyalty on its own. And given the choices at the time his CPU might have made sense. But in no way is an i5-3570 SO POWERFUL. And I am not sure your remark toward AMD fans is not completely mirrored by your own post.

Intel kept 4core or less mainstream until AMD brought Ryzen, now all of a sudden they slide 6 and maybe 8 cores in. Why? It sure as hell isn't because software has gone 8cores or bust. Intel has done a fine job hindering game development for years, hell maybe even a decade or two, as far as core count is considered. Why create >4 core engines when the majority of CPUs are 4cores or less? Maybe you can argue CHICKEN OR THE EGG or HORSE BEFORE CART, but no way in hell you can argue Intels benevolence.

You cant be for real or are you serious? All of your post is inane. Buying Intel at any point never means blind loyalty on its own. And given the choices at the time his CPU might have made sense. But in no way is an i5-3570 SO POWERFUL. And I am not sure your remark toward AMD fans is not completely mirrored by your own post.
Intel kept 4core or less mainstream until AMD brought Ryzen, now all of a sudden they slide 6 and maybe 8 cores in. Why? It sure as hell isn't because software has gone 8cores or bust. Intel has done a fine job hindering game development for years, hell maybe even a decade or two, as far as core count is considered. Why create >4 core engines when the majority of CPUs are 4cores or less? Maybe you can argue CHICKEN OR THE EGG or HORSE BEFORE CART, but no way in hell you can argue Intels benevolence.
Lol. Who is the one saying blind loyalty? Certainly not me. And Intel benevolence? Talk about inane.

"Given the choice in time his CPU might have made sense." Really? It was the only choice and the only one that made sense. Same as any time since AMD's Venice series. Intel saved him money because he didn't need to continue to upgrade his CPU. He was able to hang on to his i5 Ivy Bridge for quite a long time. In fact, it is still working just fine.

I'll just add this since one of my conservative friends of 25 years, married with 2 teenage daughters, all of a sudden started saying it earlier this year and continues to do so since Trump became the president. "It is not rape if she enjoyed it."

Last edited:
Lol. Who is the one saying blind loyalty? Certainly not me. And Intel benevolence? Talk about inane.

"Given the choice in time his CPU might have made sense." Really? It was the only choice and the only one that made sense. Same as any time since AMD's Venice series. Intel saved him money because he didn't need to continue to upgrade his CPU. He was able to hang on to his i5 Ivy Bridge for quite a long time. In fact, it is still working just fine.

I'll just add this since one of my conservative friends of 25 years all of sudden started saying it earlier this year since Trump became the president. "It is not rape is she enjoyed it."
Wow terrible. You alluded to him being a hypocrite for saying blind loyalty and then actually owning an Intel CPU.

I laughed. Blind loyalty? Yet here you mention you have an i5-3570K.

Maybe you meant something else but to those of us who are reading this it is as I stated above. Intel benevolence again in regards to how you state Intel GIVING you so much performance, yet not commenting once on how they deliberately segment heavily (understandable from a business perspective but in no way can it be argued GOOD for the customer).

The i5-3570 was NOT the only choice, Intel and AMD both had quite a few. The i5-3570 was quickly outclassed by Haswell and more so further up the line. And guaranteed that i5-3570 is NOT holding up now. And how you even mention INTEL SAVING anyone money is very... well baseless and sounds a lot similar to those expecting astronomical performance from AMDs next GPU, neither are based in reality.

In your blind fanboism, you failed to look at the fact that every person has different needs, cpu wise.

Also, you missed my point of how intel held the whole industry back by limiting the mainstream cpus to 4 cores.

Also, intel itself keep me on that cpu, since everything released after Ivy bridge was marginally faster, why the fuck would i buy a new cpu that offers less than 5 % increase in performance?

Lastly, you need to polish up your reading comprehension. Its affected by your blind corporation love.

In your blind fanboism, you failed to look at the fact that every person has different needs, cpu wise.

Also, you missed my point of how intel held the whole industry back by limiting the mainstream cpus to 4 cores.

Also, intel itself keep me on that cpu, since everything released after Ivy bridge was marginally faster, why the fuck would i buy a new cpu that offers less than 5 % increase in performance?

Lastly, you need to polish up your reading comprehension. Its affected by your blind corporation love.

Lets be realistic here, few people need more than 4 cores. They do exist (and probably a good number on this forum do seeing what the site is based on) but for the average person it won't make much of a difference. Since getting my Ryzen a few months back I have probably only been in situations where a 6 core would have been better than a 4 core a dozen times.

Games? They're using quad core very good as it is. And we all know that each core doesn't show a massive jump in performance. Throwing on a few more cores will give diminishing returns. But you're not going to see a 100% increase going from 4 to 8 cores. And the most popular game types (FPS, RPG, MMOs) will see even smaller returns. RTS and maybe simulators (which ironically, are pretty much all single threaded) are the games that may benefit the most. But those a niche games.

Has Intel been holding us back? Yes, a bit. At the same time the 2500K/2600K was so ahead of its time. If you're on a 4670/4770 you're trading blows with AMD's Ryzen depending on what you do. Although if you are doing workstation related tasks, you've probably had an Intel 6 core 12 thread CPU for a few years...and the IPC is still better than Ryzen.

Lets be realistic here, few people need more than 4 cores. They do exist (and probably a good number on this forum do seeing what the site is based on) but for the average person it won't make much of a difference. Since getting my Ryzen a few months back I have probably only been in situations where a 6 core would have been better than a 4 core a dozen times.

Games? They're using quad core very good as it is. And we all know that each core doesn't show a massive jump in performance. Throwing on a few more cores will give diminishing returns. But you're not going to see a 100% increase going from 4 to 8 cores. And the most popular game types (FPS, RPG, MMOs) will see even smaller returns. RTS and maybe simulators (which ironically, are pretty much all single threaded) are the games that may benefit the most. But those a niche games.

Has Intel been holding us back? Yes, a bit. At the same time the 2500K/2600K was so ahead of its time. If you're on a 4670/4770 you're trading blows with AMD's Ryzen depending on what you do. Although if you are doing workstation related tasks, you've probably had an Intel 6 core 12 thread CPU for a few years...and the IPC is still better than Ryzen.
You are missing the part were the reason that software doesn't take advantage of more than 4 cores is because developers didnt had any incentive to program for more, since all we had were 4 cores.

Ryzen was just released and look at the software/games that received updates to take advantage of the extra cores how much better they got.

Granted, lots of software cannot be updated in the same way and it will take a while for that to show/happen and that is another consequence of intel 4 core "era".

You are missing the part were the reason that software doesn't take advantage of more than 4 cores is because developers didnt had any incentive to program for more, since all we had were 4 cores.

Ryzen was just released and look at the software/games that received updates to take advantage of the extra cores how much better they got.

Granted, lots of software cannot be updated in the same way and it will take a while for that to show/happen and that is another consequence of intel 4 core "era".

Part in bold is simply false. Dozens of programs can take great advantage of 6 and 8 cores. We're seeing 6 core Ryzens beating out the more expensive 4 core i7s in some programs. 6 core 12 thread Intel CPUs have been around $540 for a while now to. You seem to think more cores is the solution for every application out there. But this just doesn't seem to be the case. When it comes to games, IPC will be king. Outside of the realm of PC games, just about every other high end CPU bound task sees near 90% utilization from each core.

Sure we did.
Because AMD rolled over and died for seven years, Intel didn't have to try so hard.

Also thanks to Intel, AMD had to release a many-core product to makeup for their bad IPC.

You think R5s are somehow not crippled R7s? Or that a R7 1800X really cost AMD more than a 1700?
Yup, all R5/R7 are off same wafer/design, just have some bits disabled. So very bluntly, they could be selling the R7 1800X for $170 (R5 1400) and be fine.

Also, until the APU comes out, its very unfair to compare R7 vs i7. I wouldnt build a new expensive system and than get a used turd off ebay to risk burning everything down. To get one new DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 port costs $70(GT 1030) on newegg, more new ports are even more expensive. And that's just basically getting you a port. More sensible to get the $120-$150 RX 560 or GTX 1050 ti. Of course, everyone isn't a gamer.

Not saying AMD isnt smart. There was a reason they didnt come out with APU first. As we've seen there were plenty of micro-code updates and still corner issues with heavy compiles on linux for example. If enterprise customers(would buy APU) had to deal with these issues, AMDs profits would be destroyed.

Agree, i7-8xxx will sell just fine. AMD hasnt truly counter-punched Intel yet. For all the TR/Epyc talk.

Just thought of something.

So they want their launched to be literally eclipsed...

Back