8th Annual BOINC Pentathlon by SETI.Germany

Uplinger is working on getting work units back in the coffers. Stay tuned.

Einstein@home has been annonuced as the Cross County project. Posts 1 and 31 will be updated to reflect this projects addition.

Einstein@home uses CPU and/or GPU's. GPU's are obviously going to out produce CPU work.

We ran Formula BOINC last month in our league and we finished 7th. We have 8 or 9 crunchers currently running this project but the output is not great compare to other teams. If the team wants to give this a shot, I can run this after the challenge starts to release the bunkered tasks. I will run GPU while keeping WCG going but probably drop Cosmology. Thoughts?

I'm gonna get setup today on all my machines, question tho, should I sign up for all projects, or should I focus on marathon/sprint/city run etc..

See Gilthanis post#1 and #31

Yes, you need to create an account for individual projects and making sure you join [H]ard|OCP team.

For WCG and Cosmology, these projects can only run CPU
For Einstein, best to run on GPU.

I'm running mostly WCG as this is one of our team's pet project. If you have no time to manage the rigs/settings or switch projects, cosmology will be the best as it runs for the entire duration of the challenge. Set the rigs up once and let them roll.

See Gilthanis post#1 and #31

Yes, you need to create an account for individual projects and making sure you join [H]ard|OCP team.

For WCG and Cosmology, these projects can only run CPU
For Einstein, best to run on GPU.

I'm running mostly WCG as this is one of our team's pet project. If you have no time to manage the rigs/settings or switch projects, cosmology will be the best as it runs for the entire duration of the challenge. Set the rigs up once and let them roll.

Great, for the 2 PCs at work, it will be easier to just let them eat on Cosmology, I've got it running on mine now, will put it on my co-workers at lunch.

I'll get it running on my home PCs when I get there

starting few Einstein's on hardware and see how they are doing and if still working;

oh, and my Android Nexus KitKat ... poor little guy.

Got both work machines crunching, they should get done with their current task after midnight so hopefully that one will count to the pentathlon

Home now, getting it setup on Cosmology, WCG seems to be down.

on Cosmology

My shit work PC: 1 day 5 hours for a task (see https://hardforum.com/threads/who-has-the-crappiest-work-pc.1918909/ )
My Co-Workers i3 work PC: 12 hours for a task
My wifes i5 3470 PC: 30 minutes
Sig Rig: 7 Minutes.

They'll all be running 24/7 (barring anything weird) on Cosmology, and I'll get my 2 home PCs on all the events as well :)

I'm also replacing my work PC next week with a 3770 system, so that'll be good.
Hope it helps!

The event gas begun. If you bunkered then I recommend holding off an hour or two to begin your dump.

Looks like Cosmology crumbled under the weight. Main Database is down. So, stats will be off until things get fixed.

First set of stats are in. We are starting the challenge off in 7th over all. We are tied with CNT at the moment.
9th for WCG
9th for Cosmology

Cosmology's validator is still trying to get caught up. I am down to about 112 Pending Validation legacy work units now.

Well I just uploaded what I had of Zika hope it helps!

I want to remind people that position can change on a dime. Some people will continue to bunker tasks and not report until the final hour which is risky. This gives other teams a false sense of comfort and even temptation to move resources away. The risk however is that the project server could go down at the end leaving you with a bunker of work units that wont count. So, be careful.

had an issue last night with my sig rig on Cosmology saying virtualbox took too long to open or something of the sort, updated virtualbox and disconnected/reconnected to the project but didn't have a chance to check on it, hopefully it has been going while I've been at work

How long does the WCG stuff take to validate? I looked and I have 90 tasks pending validation

How to get Einstein to run only GPU wu's? The preferences page has changed. Doesn't appear to offer that option anymore.

edit: I figured it out.

According to what I am seeing it seems to run 1CPU + 1GPU per workunit. All other CPU cores are running WCG on my rigs. Which seems about right since the GPU needs at least 1 core/cpu to feed it.

Oh wait, no. I take that back. E@H just took a huge chunk of CPU cores from WCG. Great.

DooKey How? I am having the same issue.

When you go to advanced settings you are on the computing tab. Look to the top of that tab and you'll see projects. Click on that and the preferences will be there for gpu/cpu wu's.

Einstein is totally screwed. I deselected all cpu tasks and I'm still getting them. No gpu tasks appear to be available.

edit: Figured this out too. One of the gpu tasks is also a cpu task. However, no gpu tasks are available. Typical for these contests. I'm about done with this and all the crap of sucking up all the wu's and then aborting them after the race.

I have a bunch of GPU queued, but I still have a crap load of CPUs queued also. Been suspending all the CPU work so it will go back to Zika stuff. I think I got it ironed out now.

It does seem that each GPU work unit also utilizes a CPU. Which I am okay with.

DooKey there is a second setting in the preferences at Einstein that you probably need to turn off. "Run CPU versions of applications for which.."

Just like FAH, E@H needs a full CPU core to run NV GPUs and it is absolutely needed. I've tried letting windows manage the load of 4 CPU tasks and 4x GPU tasks and the GPU load was all over the place. Use process lasso to fix the exes to certain CPU cores. 2x tasks per GPU as a min. 3x sees a minor single digit improvement but at a lost of another CPU core.

App_config.xml for 2x tasks at once. CPU usage is set to not reserve a CPU thread as I manage it with process lasso.
Code:
<app_config>
  <app>
    <name>hsgamma_FGRPB1G</name>
     <gpu_versions>
      <gpu_usage>0.5</gpu_usage>
      <cpu_usage>0.1</cpu_usage>
     </gpu_versions>
  </app>
</app_config>

Awesome. Installing Einstein@Home is pretty easy, especially if you're already running WCG and using their BOINC Manager to mange them. Just add the project to the manager and create a new account. Make sure you log into E@H's web site to disable CPU work units so only your GPUs will get work.

Back