8TB WD Red Plus $149.99

$18/TB is not that great, but it is a retail internal drive with 3 year warranty.
I think I saw a post showing the 14TB Easystore/Elements for less than $180 recently. It's only 2 year warranty and you need to shuck it and might have to do the 3.3v mod.

$18/TB is not that great, but it is a retail internal drive with 3 year warranty.
I think I saw a post showing the 14TB Easystore/Elements for less than $180 recently. It's only 2 year warranty and you need to shuck it and might have to do the 3.3v mod.

It's a drive that supports TLER and is validated for up to 24 bay use.

Not the best value for a client scratch disk, media drive or (ugh) Steam library drive, but if you are going to host a RAIDed (either software or hardware) many bay storage pool you might not want to ghetto that with shucked basic consumer drives.

I have 4TB WD reds in a 16 bay remote server that just keep on trucking. There were 2-3 early failures in the first couple of years, but once I RMA'd those they just won't die. Up to ~70k hours on them now.

It's a drive that supports TLER and is validated for up to 24 bay use.

Not the best value for a client scratch disk, media drive or (ugh) Steam library drive, but if you are going to host a RAIDed (either software or hardware) many bay storage pool you might not want to ghetto that with shucked basic consumer drives.

I have 4TB WD reds in a 16 bay remote server that just keep on trucking. There were 2-3 early failures in the first couple of years, but once I RMA'd those they just won't die. Up to ~70k hours on them now.
The one you posted is rated for 8 bay, not 24 bay.
The Red Pro's are up to 24. I picked this one up for $239 a year ago. $13/TB

IMG_1653 (2).JPEG

The one you posted is rated for 8 bay, not 24 bay.
The Red Pro's are up to 24. I picked this one up for $239 a year ago. $13/TB

View attachment 543871

I had to go back and look. It's interesting. The WD website (from the link above) contradicts itself listing both 24 bay and 8 bay...

1674500581672.png

Yeah, that 18TB drive is a better deal at $230

I had to go back and look. It's interesting. The WD website (from the link above) contradicts itself listing both 24 bay and 8 bay...

View attachment 543873

Yeah, that 18TB drive is a better deal at $230
There is no contradiction, it says "up to 24 bays count on Red Pro drives"
Red Plus are tested for up to 8 Bays.
Remember, there are 2 model lines mentioned on that page, Red Pro and Red Plus.

There is no contradiction, it says "up to 24 bays count on Red Pro drives"
Red Plus are tested for up to 8 Bays.
Remember, there are 2 model lines mentioned on that page, Red Pro and Red Plus.

Doh. You are correct. I got my P's between Pro and Plus crossed.

8TB for $150 seems a bit expensive. I've been buying 14TB drives for $135 from here: https://serverpartdeals.com/collect...12e-512mb-3-5-se-manufacturer-recertified-hdd

Yeah they are "manufacturer recertified", but I've bought quite a few at this point (over a dozen) and not had any failures yet. They are helium-filled data-center drives so they are not cheap consumer drives. They still come with a 2-year warranty. I've stuck with Hitachi drives, or Western Digital drives that are obviously of Hitachi lineage. <$10 per TB seems pretty hard to beat.

Suppose it is okay. I paid $40 more for a 12TB version a few months back. For 50% more space it seems more worth while. Depends how many you want to get I suppose.

I would be very afraid to put all of my stuff (photos, movies, music, games, etc.) on ONE 8TB HDD. I'll rather have 4 2TB HDDs or even 2 4TB HDDs. This 8TB HDD only makes sense if you buy two of them and put all your stuff on one and copy everything onto the second 8TB in case the first one goes bad.

I'm not sure how interested people are in refurbs, but Water Panther backs up theirs with a 2 year warranty. These 12TB SATA drives are only $105 each, so I just snagged 8 of them to replace my 8TB archive drives that are so damn slow in a RAID (and will be going into a backup rig for more of a cold storage) - https://waterpanther.com/collection...0rpm-sata-6g-lff-hdd-san-wesa5slc0120d-refurb Should be coming in a couple of days. I've heard that they can be from different vendors and different models depending on stock. Guess I'll find out if the ones that I ordered are all the same when they come in.

They have other options that aren't bad, like a 14TB SATA for $138 - but those 12TB drives seem to be the best price to capacity. At least that I've found.

Back