8TB WD EasyStore $140

• Thread starter Deleted member 184142
  • Start date
I actually bought one 10TB WD EasyStore and two 8TB WD EasyStore. I will be using it for an Unraid server. The 8TB drives will be used for data and the 10TB drive will be used as parity drive.

The two 8TB drives are currently in the pre-clear state right now.

Also, I bought the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1+ 650W 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply for this server. No 3.3v hack requires. The drives were plug-n-play.

ss.jpg

Business pricing on these drives are a bit cheaper, you can create a business account or convert your personal account to a business account.
47421413_10213510557939035_5565541926372900864_o.jpg

47574160_10213504742593655_6964080073628450816_o.jpg

Stuuppiid muricans having so cheap hdds :( In Finland lowest price for 8 tb external has been like 149 € for seagate backup plus.. in dollarz it is almost 170 $

The 10TB drives are $180 so just slightly cheaper per GB. I was going to go with 8 of these for my qnap nas but the 10tb being just a bit cheaper per GB I got 7 of those so far.

The 10TB drives are $180 so just slightly cheaper per GB. I was going to go with 8 of these for my qnap nas but the 10tb being just a bit cheaper per GB I got 7 of those so far.
???
$180/10 = $18.00/TB
$140/8 = $17.50/TB

Do you actually own a buisness? Anyway to get past the EIN verification without actually owning a buisness?
I don't have an account, the screen caps are from a Plex Forum that I am a member of..
I don't have a "business" but I'll see if I can make an account.

I couldn't make one either since I don't have a valid EIN. :(

Last edited:
I think Best Buy changed how they did business accounts. Business used to have its own site which I know I made an account for (did not require EIN). The new one is integrated into the current Best Buy site and does require a valid EIN unfortunately.

You can use your SSN as a EIN for sole proprietors.
Yep, if you have a business that files taxes on your 1040 as a Schedule C and you don't have any employees, you wouldn't have an EIN and your SSN is your EIN.

You're right, I don't know what I was thinking. Oh well I'd still go with the 10TB.
For storage, especially in NAS it probably is cheaper as the price per bay is a factor as well. If you can get the same storage in 6 bay vs 8 bay for example.

Was able to score a second one themselves for the reminder. Need to buy drive pool and set up snap raid one of these days.

True but those don't seem to be as sought after. Harder to shuck and worse warranty.

Judging from the pictures the case is the same. The warranty is definitely the same (2 years, versus 3 years for the My Book - which is only $10 more, but not worth it in my opinion).

True but those don't seem to be as sought after. Harder to shuck and worse warranty.
You've got no warranty after shucking anyway. Unless you keep the case around and were perfect with not leaving signs of shucking.

Why can't we just go to Newegg or amazon and click buy on a new 10tb drive for 179 or an 8tb drive for $130?? Seems counterproductive to charge less for a drive with an enclosure. I know it's the minority that's shucks but still, I feel like hard drive prices r higer than they should be.

Because in today's world the majority of people have machines like Macs/iMacs/AIOs or desktops and laptops and they don't have anyway to put 3.5" hard drives inside those kinds of devices so the external drive market is practically reaching parity with the sales of internal drives. It's basic supply and demand: more people want externals, the externals cost less even in spite of being basically the same 3.5" drives inside the external housing with more packaging and components involved.

Because in today's world the majority of people have machines like Macs/iMacs/AIOs or desktops and laptops and they don't have anyway to put 3.5" hard drives inside those kinds of devices so the external drive market is practically reaching parity with the sales of internal drives. It's basic supply and demand: more people want externals, the externals cost less even in spite of being basically the same 3.5" drives inside the external housing with more packaging and components involved.

Unfortunately I know, just venting wishing we didn't have to deal with stuff like this that doesn't make sense

Also the shorter warranty cuts some of the cost (but I'll take a $130 drive with 2 years over 200+ HD with 3 years (or even a lifetime warranty).

This is a smoking hot deal. I wish I hadn't bought several of mine last year for 150.

Why can't we just go to Newegg or amazon and click buy on a new 10tb drive for 179 or an 8tb drive for $130?? Seems counterproductive to charge less for a drive with an enclosure. I know it's the minority that's shucks but still, I feel like hard drive prices r higer than they should be.
Http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

There really isn't any "should be" to pricing but what the market decides.

And it only takes about 30sec to shuck one of these.

Last edited:
the problem is we don't truly know the failure rate on these drives yet

$130 for 8TB is awesome, unless it only last 3 years and has sudden failure where you lose everything

it's not like these companies are worried about their reputation, only getting past warranty dates

$130 for 8TB is awesome, unless it only last 3 years and has sudden failure where you lose everything

it's not like these companies are worried about their reputation, only getting past warranty dates

You can say that about any drive, including retail versions, it doesn't change anything and your assumption doesn't hold up. They are great drives and mine have been going for just as long and they are used in my server running 24/7. They are more or less the same as their retail drives and for a while were even labeled as such, but they caught on that people were never going to buy Reds if they could be had for half price in an external. And the assumption that they are not worried about reputation shows you know nothing about business or how it works, typical business hate for no reason.

And if you lose a single drive and "lose everything", you should not be on a tech forum, as we all know about backups, and if you lose 8TB of data, that is on you.

at 130 dollars, who cares.. you can buy 2 for less than the price of a single retail drive so as long as each drive survives a year and a half then they paid for themselves since the retail drive only has a 3 year warranty. not to mention there isn't a chance in hell i'm RMA'ing a single one of my hard drives unless it's DOA.

Http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

There really isn't any "should be" to pricing but what the market decides.

And it only takes about 30sec to shuck one of these.

It wasn't meant as a complaint about the extra work involved in shucking the drives but rather that the market/manufactures allow external drives with the additional hardware involved (case, power supply, additional potential failure points that relate to warranty claims, etc) to cost in some cases significantly less than the bare drive itself shoved in a box and mailed out to the customer. It's like if I order my burger without onions, why am I still getting charged for the onions? ;)

HDDs are like CPUs - just like Intel slices one die into a thousand SKUs, WD puts the same platters and heads into a hundred different products. Keep these cool and vibration free, and they'll last just as long as a "Gold" or whatever drive that you'd pay at least three times as much for. The rest of the difference is 95% marketing and 5% stuff anyone not cramming hundreds of drives into a rack, running them at 95C, and building giant RAIDs doesn't really care about. Sort of like the difference between a Pentium and a Xeon - you'll find tons of people on the internet willing to swear up and down that a Xeon is lovingly crafted by the finest artisanal silicon masters, slaving over electron microscopes to verify that each transistor is "just so", while the filthy Pentium is mass-produced trash, because marketing and price signals.

If you are using these and you are worried about what's on them, then other precautions should be taken rather than worrying about how long until it fails. At this price you can always grab a couple and RAID 1 them. Even then some sort of offline backup is a must if you truly want to protect what's on the drives.

The vast majority of drives are going to fail within the first year or not until for 6+ years. In my 27 years of owning a PC, I doubt I've had 10 drives die and almost all of them happened more than 5 years after I bought the drive. There are exceptions, but they're rare. If you're that worried, buy an extended warranty. It'll still be less than paying almost 2x for an internal drive.

at 130 dollars, who cares.. you can buy 2 for less than the price of a single retail drive so as long as each drive survives a year and a half then they paid for themselves since the retail drive only has a 3 year warranty. not to mention there isn't a chance in hell i'm RMA'ing a single one of my hard drives unless it's DOA.
Why not? Just re-insert it into the enclosure and RMA it under warranty if it fails within 2 years.

The vast majority of drives are going to fail within the first year or not until for 6+ years. In my 27 years of owning a PC, I doubt I've had 10 drives die and almost all of them happened more than 5 years after I bought the drive. There are exceptions, but they're rare. If you're that worried, buy an extended warranty. It'll still be less than paying almost 2x for an internal drive.
Agreed, but it isn't even worth the extended warranty IMO with a base of 2y, especially at $130.

agree, i think i've only had 1 DOA, never had a drive fail within warranty.. hell i even got those god awful 70 dollar 1TB seagates from fry's to survive 10 years before i finally took them out of my system to make room for the 4 8TB drives i spurged on during the first sale last year.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
In my 27 years of owning a PC

you've never owned a helium filled drive in 27 years, certainly not longer than a year

every hard drive you've owned has been exposed to regular air with filtered breathing holes for pressure changes

there is near zero long term consumer experience with helium filled drives and what actually happens when the helium slowly leaks out after the second year

at $130 I had to try it myself though, I plan to get another in two year to clone it regularly

Back