8TB HDD completely unrecognizable by one machine, fine in others

Superjoe

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an 8TB drive that I'm trying to initialize in my new unRaid box. It does not show up even in the motherboard, regardless of what port I plug it into. Tried cables, etc.

When I throw it in my Synology or a USB enclosure to my Mac it shows up and initializes just fine and I can format it in ext4 but the unRaid mobo will not see it (ASUS TUF B560M).

I was using this in a Win10 storage pool inside of my Sabrent 4-bay usb enclosure prior to this. Possibly related?

I'm good with diskpart, powershell, etc but what in the heck would keep the BIOS from seeing it in the first place?

Thanks!

Perhaps the drive isnt powering up due to the wrong SATA power connector. (assuming its an enterprise drive)
I had to either strip out a pin or use an old molex to SATA adapter to get mine to power up on older PC PSUs.

Nenu is most likely correct. I just cut the 3.3v wire on all my PSUs now. That holds the drive in reset if it's hot.

Okay, I think you're probably right about the 3.3v. I'm sure it's a shucked drive, I just bought it used recently and now that I think about it I never put it directly into a Winders machine until now. My plan is just to fail a drive in my Synology and replace it with this one since it works in there.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Back