8K Modes for Canon EOS R5 Leaked: No Crop, No Overheating Issues

erek

[H]F Junkie
imagine if this is released at 3500 USD? that'd be decent

"As EOS HD points out, this is photo is from a camera in PAL mode. In NTSC the video site says 25p will be replaced by 30p. The one thing we don’t know yet: will this camera be able to record RAW video in 4K as well as 8K, or will that option be grayed out? We’ll just have to wait and see.

Fortunately, we won’t be waiting long. Canon is expected to officially announce the EOS R5 (and a whole lot more) this week, during a “virtual product launch” on July 9th at 8am ET."

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/06/8k-modes-for-canon-eos-r5-leaked-no-crop-no-overheating-issues/

Funny I just checked EOSHD and the first thing I see is a big post detailing the the over heating issues this camera has.
https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-eos-r5-has-serious-overheating-issues-in-both-4k-and-8k/
Peter McKinnon, brand ambassador also brought up that he got overheating warnings but never a full shutdown/stop. I think it's to be expected with a camera this new, pushing that many pixels, and having to have the processing overhead necessary to do it.
I haven't had hands on with this camera, and I likely never will unless something crazy happens. Even with that said, I'm going to guess it's probably not as big of an issue as compared to other cameras that had a similar problem (like Sony cameras around 2010-2014). You'll likely not have a camera that can operate for long periods of time in direct sunlight or in summer temperatures.

The article also has a innacturate series of statements. It talks about this also being an issue in 4k (which I'm not saying it's not), but then they used the over-sampled 4k modes to show this (obviously still utilizing the entire 8k sensor). There is also non-over-sampled 23.98 and 29.97 available in the camera that uses either binning or skipping, which in theory should get around some of those problems in addition to the 59.97 and 119.* modes. It actually shows the much longer recording times in their first table, but then they didn't actually test those modes in the article.

Last edited:
Reactions: erek
like this
What's even the point of differentiating between PAL and NTSC in the digital age? It's just 25fps vs 30fps at this point. Why would you even need or want 25 fps when you can have 30? I always switch my cameras to 30fps despite living in EU.

I really don't like one person that runs that site... Seems that one person has huge biases and will argue till days end if you disagree with his opinion. I've moved to dpreview.
Andrew Reid? He's a good dev and I think he gives his honest opinion and standpoint. Considering that his site essentially has been to make money from Camera profiles (including Canon) I don't think he has a big agenda in itself. But like Ken Rockwell you just have to know what his biases are and just use them as a data point.
I wouldn't put complete trust in any one site for any type of news. If you do then you only ever hear one narrative and although it's "easier" you won't be thinking about any of these issues (if any) for yourself. Even on cameras there are about half-a-dozen sites I follow. And yeah, dPreview is one of them but there are a lot of other excellent ones.

What's even the point of differentiating between PAL and NTSC in the digital age? It's just 25fps vs 30fps at this point. Why would you even need or want 25 fps when you can have 30? I always switch my cameras to 30fps despite living in EU.
Standards are standards. People want to do their best to conform to them. However I generally think of the difference really being more about 24p vs 25p rather than 30p (even though that is "the standard" for NTSC TV). And then generally people conform their timelines to either of those two spaces (24p/25p). This becomes a "bigger" issue when considering slow-motion.
To your point though, I don't know why you'd want to limit your camera to 100p in PAL and not have access to NTSC's 120p when in all likely hood you'll be using either/both to shoot slow-mo content and not to ever playback "natively".

Frankly I don't know why there has to be an NTSC vs Pal mode at all. Just have all of the FPS modes on the screen and just let us pick ones we want. It's safe to say we could easily skip the FPS modes we don't want to use.

Last edited:
That equipment is for taking photos. Buying it for video is silly😂

This is for video:

View attachment 260327
Not a fan of buying pretty much any camcorder. Use cases for that are way too small.

EDIT: Also there are tons of productions and production companies that use mirror-less cameras for video production.
It's a pretty myopic view to only think camcorders or cinema cameras are the only way to shoot video.

Last edited:
Not a fan of buying pretty much any camcorder. Use cases for that are way too small.

EDIT: Also there are tons of productions and production companies that use mirror-less cameras for video production.
It's a pretty myopic view to only think camcorders or cinema cameras are the only way to shoot video.
video production is vast certainly. I would much prefer interchangeable lenses than features of a full fledged camcorder. I think I'll end up with the bmpcc6k after I'm done with my samsung nx1 dead end system.

video production is vast certainly. I would much prefer interchangeable lenses than features of a full fledged camcorder. I think I'll end up with the bmpcc6k after I'm done with my samsung nx1 dead end system.
I would say that both BMPCC's are basically mirrorless systems. They even take photos. Not that anyone uses them for that purpose.
Blackmagic doesn't make any camcorders. Either mirrorless or full blown cinema cameras.
But even spending the time defining what is and what is not, is kind of a waste of time. Because as earlier stated, you can use whatever you want to shoot on really.

Camcorders are also kind of a weird bastard child (in modern times). Basically it was originally the combination of a video camera and a cassette recorder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camcorder
My personal modern definition is basically all-in-one camera systems, usually then without a removable lens, and usually with some sort of super zoom. Most of the time with very small sensor sizes (1/2" being most common), but not necessarily so.
I said what I said in response to UltraTaco because he used an image of a modern Canon ENG style camcorder, which to restate, I would personally never use. Either favoring Mirrorless or an actual cinema camera (which I would define loosely as a camera system with interchangeable lenses and built with features dedicated to film making including a much larger body size).

Been following the rumors of the R5 and R6 since they started coming out. Very cool stuff, but for me I won't be buying either. I bought the RP before Christmas so I'm good for a while thanks.

This does mean one good thing to me though. More competition will create better cameras and I'll have some great options for a FF mirrorless in the future when I need something. All I want is a good camera for taking stills. The more they pump out more advanced models, the cheaper my hobby is going to be.

I would say that both BMPCC's are basically mirrorless systems. They even take photos. Not that anyone uses them for that purpose.
Blackmagic doesn't make any camcorders. Either mirrorless or full blown cinema cameras.
But even spending the time defining what is and what is not, is kind of a waste of time. Because as earlier stated, you can use whatever you want to shoot on really.

Camcorders are also kind of a weird bastard child (in modern times). Basically it was originally the combination of a video camera and a cassette recorder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camcorder
My personal modern definition is basically all-in-one camera systems, usually then without a removable lens, and usually with some sort of super zoom. Most of the time with very small sensor sizes (1/2" being most common), but not necessarily so.
I said what I said in response to UltraTaco because he used an image of a modern Canon ENG style camcorder, which to restate, I would personally never use. Either favoring Mirrorless or an actual cinema camera (which I would define loosely as a camera system with interchangeable lenses and built with features dedicated to film making including a much larger body size).

People today are more "creative" than they are professionals. I wouldn't dare do professional video with a mirrorless camera.
But if I was doing something creative, I would shoot with a mirrorless camera. The line between creative and professional has became blurred over the years.

I'm glad I saw this.
I 've been debating about buying new glass for my 6D (EF).....
I think I might wait a bit.....8k is tasty...I want in.

:ROFLMAO:

People today are more "creative" than they are professionals. I wouldn't dare do professional video with a mirrorless camera.
But if I was doing something creative, I would shoot with a mirrorless camera. The line between creative and professional has became blurred over the years.

wonder how the rolling shutter is on this EOS R5

wonder how the rolling shutter is on this EOS R5
It comes down to the processor. It seems like it's using the same processor as the 1Dx MkIII, which means rolling shutter will be an issue.
Canon needed something along the lines of the processing power of the Sony a9, BSI stacked sensor.

I think the coming a7S successor will try to solve that problem.

I haven’t had hands on. But basically everything Andrew Reid has said confirms my suspicions. Unlimited 4K in the pixel binned mode is also what I expected as it has way lower processing overhead.

I expect as well that firmware will help a little, if they can make the way that the camera encodes and compresses become a little more efficient. I don’t expect it will solve all the problems and remove the Heat based recording limits though. But perhaps enough to make it more reliable and not miss shots. We’ll see though.

like this
is there any Auto Exposure feature during recording?

I can't wait to see how this goes.
I shoot and process 4k60 allatime.It heats everything up.
I feel we are a year out on 8k....the new high-bitrate SD cards are close....h266 is also close.
I'll be a first adopter of 8k GoPro....letalone my Canons....

:ROFLMAO:

is there any Auto Exposure feature during recording?
All of these cameras do. Not to be insulting, but if you're considering using an auto mode on these cameras then you probably should just buy something else. You're not going to get the best out of them in an automode.
There is one exception to this "rule". If you're a vlogger and you want to use auto-ISO in order to help your transitions from interiors to exteriors or changing light conditions. For everyone else it's just a bad practice.
Photography/videography is a cool hobby worth investing into. You can do a lot with very inexpensive cameras if you have knowledge. The R5 isn't going to offer anything to most photographers/videographers than a camera that costs half that amount.

All of these cameras do. Not to be insulting, but if you're considering using an auto mode on these cameras then you probably should just buy something else. You're not going to get the best out of them in an automode.
There is one exception to this "rule". If you're a vlogger and you want to use auto-ISO in order to help your transitions from interiors to exteriors or changing light conditions. For everyone else it's just a bad practice.
Photography/videography is a cool hobby worth investing into. You can do a lot with very inexpensive cameras if you have knowledge. The R5 isn't going to offer anything to most photographers/videographers than a camera that costs half that amount.

it's a lot of work to keep adjusting setups between interior and exterior shots, especially like car cruises

i currently have a Canon 5D Mark III w/ Magic Latern for 14-bit RAW Uncompressed 1080p24 recording, Zeiss Otus 55mm F/1.4 lens (no automatic anything with it)

1594952204534.png

erek There are several ways to “defeat” this. I think the best solution is to invest in an expensive variable ND filter like the new Moment one or the Peter McKinnon one that I believe PolarPro makes.
The 2-5 stop filter should be enough to allow you to shoot at shallow DOF’s and then open it up or close it down depending on if you’re indoors or outdoors. You’ll likely still have to mess with some camera settings though. But quite a bit less.

The other option is using a camera with auto ISO. And a regular ND filter. The issue with this setup is you’ll be relying on how good your cameras ISO settings are and how good it is at making decisions. I like to backlight shots a lot as an example and using an auto mode that tries to auto balance “the sun” or other bright light is just one scenario that auto modes are terrible at. Especially as you try to pan or transition to another light level that will invariably cause a dramatic shift in exposure.

There are other options for setups you could do. But these are the most obvious two. Out of those two I would still go VND to gain control rather than lose it with an auto setting and also spend less money. You can just buy the 82mm version (or some other common large size if you don't want a filter that large) once and just use step up adapters on your lenses. I do this now, except with regular ND’s instead of VND’s.

Last edited:
like this
Can I just say as someone of an advanced age, if you told me in 1990 that your camera could have overheating issues in the future, my mind would have probably shut down. These things are getting really crazy.

To your point though, I don't know why you'd want to limit your camera to 100p in PAL and not have access to NTSC's 120p when in all likely hood you'll be using either/both to shoot slow-mo content and not to ever playback "natively".
What? Where did I want to limit anything? My point was that I have to use NTSC mode in the EU to have access to 30fps option in many cameras. And that is why having these aging standards implemented in modern digital cameras is a waste of everybody's time.
But I'm not shooting slomo. I'd actually want at teast 60fps footage. If I could afford it.

Frankly I don't know why there has to be an NTSC vs Pal mode at all. Just have all of the FPS modes on the screen and just let us pick ones we want. It's safe to say we could easily skip the FPS modes we don't want to use.
That's all I want too.

So out of curiosity, because I'm not in the camera world, how long has this R5 been out? If it's been a while, how come nobody's hacked the ROM? I bought my wife, years ago, an original Digital Rebel, which, IIRC, was almost the same as a higher-end camera, and I remember reading later that people were modifying the Rebel's ROM to unlock features the higher-end model had. You would think someone could disable the timer or something.

like this
So out of curiosity, because I'm not in the camera world, how long has this R5 been out? If it's been a while, how come nobody's hacked the ROM? I bought my wife, years ago, an original Digital Rebel, which, IIRC, was almost the same as a higher-end camera, and I remember reading later that people were modifying the Rebel's ROM to unlock features the higher-end model had. You would think someone could disable the timer or something.

This camera was very recently released (less than a month ago I think?) So there hasn't been enough time for fun stuff like that yet.

That and very few have shipped out. Not enough people have their hands on them yet to really get stuff done.

Back