8gb showing, only 3.24 usable?

delvryboy

2[H]4U
Haven't really searched yet. I pulled 4*2gb and replaced with 2*4gb. Everywhere shows 8, but Windows says only half is usable. CPUz shows single channel also.

Remove and reinsert the RAM. Make sure they are in the proper slot configuration for dual channel. Try the old RAM if you still have it. Most of these problems are caused by bad Dimms, bad slots, or issues with the dividers or timings. But CPUZ showing single channel should be a dead giveaway that its a hardware issue...

Remove and reinsert the RAM. Make sure they are in the proper slot configuration for dual channel. Try the old RAM if you still have it. Most of these problems are caused by bad Dimms, bad slots, or issues with the dividers or timings. But CPUZ showing single channel should be a dead giveaway that its a hardware issue...
Yeah. starting to think it's the new ram. All 4 2GB sticks work in every configuration. Going to throw the 4GB's back in and run memtest when I get a chance.

I assume each 4GB stick works one at a time? Is this on a dual-channel system??

Are you overclocking your ram controller? I mean using faster than DDR3 1333 on AM3, lga1155/1156 or faster than DDR3 1066 on lga1366.

Try disabling that and run at auto so no overclocking of the memory controller will be used.

If your motherboard do not support memory remapping you're screwed.

Sorry, haven't had the chance to mess with it this week.

CPU/mobo is a i7 860/ASUS P7P55D Deluxe. Everything is running at default settings currently.

I'm currently running 4 x 2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 without issues. I've ran 4 X 4GB in the past. The memory remapping feature with have to do with 4GB sticks? I'm currently having problems with 2 x 4GB Ripjaws.

Sorry, haven't had the chance to mess with it this week.

CPU/mobo is a i7 860/ASUS P7P55D Deluxe. Everything is running at default settings currently.

I'm currently running 4 x 2GB Corsair XMS3 1600 without issues. I've ran 4 X 4GB in the past. The memory remapping feature with have to do with 4GB sticks? I'm currently having problems with 2 x 4GB Ripjaws.

After making sure each stick works by itself, I would:

Set the XMP profile, exit BIOS, go back in... write down the XMP timings... disable XMP, and then manually set speed, timings, and voltage.

XMP is really really janky and, more often then not, just doesn't work properly.

I would still check and see if it works at DDR3 1333 before trying to overclock your IMC, with or without XMP.

Last edited:
Check the QVL for that board, I am guessing the new memory is low voltage and you have not updated your BIOS in awhile.

I would start with a BIOS update, if your memory is still not recognized or there has not been a BIOS revision in the past year I would return that memory for a different set that is more apt to work with the 1156 processors.

If you are able to update the BIOS make sure you clear the CMOS after and reset it up from scratch.

Back