8GB compactflash, $695.99 + shipping (preorder)

Robstar said:
8GB....I wonder how many pictures I'll be able to take on my camera with this thing :D
Could be fun to use as a hard drive in a laptop, too!

Pictures: All of them
HardDrive: Nah, flash memory will eventually burn out, especially with many reads and writes... now if you were to use it for a cache disc, that would rock, throw just your pagefile on it .. or if you use photoshop, just have PS cache to it; 3D Studio Max users would probably benefit from this, as well. I'm just not sure what the burn-out rate is.

For awile some companies made DIMM PCI slots, which would act as an additional HDD, so D: would actually be 1GB of DIMMs, instead of Flash or Mechanical Media. They were excellent for caching, imagine you cache being 7ns instead of 7200rpm :) (anyone have a link to this?)

You could by a nicely loaded laptop from Dell for this price yesterday. Dell must seriously need cash or volume to make the books look nice.... I bet Dell is trying to beef up the market share.

Anyway, does this unit have compatability issues with older digital cams? I wonder if there is a flash size limit in some of the older cams.... Still, 8GBs is a whole lot of 2 MP images on my old cam. ;)

I believe most cameras write to a fat file system. Fat filesystem maxes out at 2GB.
I believe the camera has to support fat-32 to use > 2GB memory cards.

Rob

Back