8800GTX + Vista Ultimate 64 = Nightmare

The sound card as we know it is dead and in a sense, so is Creative. MS has seen to that. I will never bash Creative. I have owned a Sound Blaster or derivitive since 1988.

Creative will continue to migrate to peripherals and personal music devices and the sound "card" will slowly (or not so slowly) go the way of the dodo bird.

@Brian48 - quote "Reverting back to the May drivers should solve the issue."
now you are two to suggest the "may version" of the drivers, but what's the number combination/where do I find them.

The driver version is 2.15.0002. Works flawlessly with all my games as far as I can tell. This is both native OpenAL games and games using OpenAL via Alchemy.

Great thanks mark!
Embarrasing that you are forced to use Auzentech drivers in order to get the Creative Card to work!

I actually have my X-Fi working perfectly on my system with Creative drivers (although not the latest ones,) and I have four gigs of RAM. I guess I'm lucky. Many however with the problem have reported great success with the Auzentech drivers.

Mark.

actually have my X-Fi working perfectly on my system with Creative drivers (although not the latest ones,) and I have four gigs of RAM. I guess I'm lucky. Many however with the problem have reported great success with the Auzentech drivers.

Mark.

But are you using Vista 64?

Yes. I have used Vista x64 since building my rig in March and happily continue to use it today. I have had no problems with it, and I'm quite pleased with the computer's performance and stability under the OS. I've found that drivers have matured greatly over the last year (with the exception of Creative drivers.) I have no problems playing the most recent and demanding games, including Bioshock, World in Conflict, BF2142, Supreme Commander, and more. Even the Crysis MP beta hasn't crashed or caused issue on my computer. I for one recommend Vista x64 for any high end gaming desktop with 4 or more gigs of RAM.

As for the Creative Drivers, I use the ones from March.

Mark.

Read my sig. I have absolutely no issues with BSOD's, crashes, corruption, or anything remotely related. The X-FI does not have an "8800 allergy". Holy cow, you guys with this trash talk crack me up!!!! And yes, I am running Vista 64.

I've been using vista business 32-bit for the past two weeks. I love all the features it has but theres just so many little stupid problems that come up. I'm having a problem where my RAID driver installs itself at every login, control panel refuses to open on occasion, and random crashes where it dumps memory and reboots itself.

I think I'm gonna switch back to XP Pro SP2 till theres a service pack for Vista. I mean, what's DX10 for anyway? More eye candy, right? Can't we still play Crysis with DX9?

I haven't read everything here, just some stuff to throw out to help, as I went through Vista install from the get go and had to learn quite a few things to get everything working correctly.

If you are running 4gb of ram you will want to run this hotfix for 64 bit machines.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777

After several builds, I also found out that sometimes it does not like to install nicely if you have 4gb in your build. So remove some RAM long enough to install it and then put it back in and it works fine. Sketchy, but not always the case.

Secondly: The X-FI/4GB bug was supposedly fixed on one driver build, but I heard it got rebroke last drive build, so if you have the latest, you will be hosed. There have been many post on here where folks say they are using an Xfi and having no problem. They probably do not match his hardware setup, especially the RAM. The best advice I can give you is surf the message boards for some advice on which driver works. I said to hell with it in the first few weeks and installed an Auzentech and all of my BSOD besides the ones fixed by the hotfix, above, went away. I have had no issues with on board sound on motherboards. For the X-FI I also found that in some games like Battlefield 2 if you turned the sound level so it wasn't using 5.1 it would work fine.

Lastly, if your not too experience, I recommend going out to a site that has a Windows Vista Optimizer guide, and disabling all uneeded services. If you do this, remember later you may need to enable it when adding new technology to your computer.

@hasoos

thx man, for the concern and the help, I'm using the Modifed Auzentech drivers, and it works (or at least seams to be...) perfectly now!

I've moved back to XP Pro a month ago after running Vista 64 Ultimate since near launch day. Never did get a satisfactory resolution to the "driver stopped responding and recovered" issue. Tried everything from disabling Aero, not using SLI, cleaning drivers and applying newest patches, to running RAM at link & sync, and every combination forementioned. Even did a system dump at one point. Everything else about Vista worked fine though, just didn't like it when I played games.

The fact that since moving back to XP I've yet to see a blue screen, speaks volumes about the state of the OS. I'm waiting for SP1 before resuming the Vista experiment personally.

Back