8800GTX SLI Danger Den Water block install - Pics inside!

revenant said:
FYI, your temps do look fine.. with SLI it only takes one card which is not a great OCer to keep both down.. so it's possible one of your cards is not the best OCer.. but hell, as I said before you have a veritable shit ton of performance on hand.. no need to fret over a few mhz.. :D

Thanks rev...I appreciate the feedback...

-M

Here is an update on my latest adventures....

Broke the 19K mark in 3DMark06...

Cards are now overclocked to 660/1060...Seems I get lockups and corruption with higher clocks....will definitely try the bios flash to increase the voltage...

QX6700 is now clocked from 2.66Ghz to 3.82Ghz!

I have attached a screen capture....(it is big!)

I also tested with the ambient temp in the room at 18C

120106_8800gtx.JPG

So umm managerman where do you live? Your computer is too awesome!!!!

Seeing pc setups like this makes me want to stop drinking, smoking, eating out and buying random shit like car audio toys.
Only for a minute though

nice setup

Thought of somthing that could give oyu more even temps among your cards :)

Rather than having it go with the two cards linked on one barb, have two barbs on each side of the top card, and have those link in to the bottom card (which only has barbs facing to the top) so the water runs through both cards evenly, but comes out hotter :) (its working in my head :p

--------------Barb--------Barb
-------------PROTRUSION!!!!!---------------------------
--------------Tube--------Tube
--------------Tube--------Tube
------------PROTRUSION!!!!!---------------------------
--------------Cap---------Cap

d00000000d.. 20k is yours!! go for it.. heh! seriously, if you can get some more memory BW on your motherboard.. SLI'd 8800GTX's LOVE memory BW.. and quad cores also.. which you have.. if you could change your multi to 12x and maybe loosen your memory timings if it's not stable.. try to get your mems to ddr2-1000 speeds.. most of these quads will do up to about 350 on the fsb, dep on mobo. OR change your memory divider.. anyways, that would surely give you some more performance.. well, from what I have read on the posts @ XS from the peeps who have been experimenting with different configs to see what is best.. anyways, nice work on 19k also. wewt!

Nice setup. At the moment these seems to be the closest I can get to the DD water blocks. I have two GTX's showing up next week and still no water blocks to put on them. Danger Den you need make more!

ma1kmcn1 said:
Nice setup. At the moment these seems to be the closest I can get to the DD water blocks. I have two GTX's showing up next week and still no water blocks to put on them. Danger Den you need make more!

I got two here I am waiting to install till next weekend(waiting on other parts).

Make me an offer
smilies15.gif

revenant said:
d00000000d.. 20k is yours!! go for it.. heh! seriously, if you can get some more memory BW on your motherboard.. SLI'd 8800GTX's LOVE memory BW.. and quad cores also.. which you have.. if you could change your multi to 12x and maybe loosen your memory timings if it's not stable.. try to get your mems to ddr2-1000 speeds.. most of these quads will do up to about 350 on the fsb, dep on mobo. OR change your memory divider.. anyways, that would surely give you some more performance.. well, from what I have read on the posts @ XS from the peeps who have been experimenting with different configs to see what is best.. anyways, nice work on 19k also. wewt!

With this EVGA 680i SLI board when I get close to 310 FSB it's starts to get real wacky with this quad core....I am hoping that EVGA/NVIDIA comes out with a newer bios to help me up the FSB...

The G.skill HZ memory just will not do 1T at all....even at 800MHz...with 2.5v....What's the best memory to run in this 680i board to run at 1T?? That's where the bandwidth is...

Thanks!

-M

Maybe the Corsair Dominators will.. hrm... I have the same G.Skill you have and mine don't OC too well.. I guess I didn't get luck with them.. I can't even boot into windows @ 992mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.4v... anyways.. thinking about Dominators or some Ballistix.. not sure on the 1t ability tho..

revenant said:
Maybe the Corsair Dominators will.. hrm... I have the same G.Skill you have and mine don't OC too well.. I guess I didn't get luck with them.. I can't even boot into windows @ 992mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.4v... anyways.. thinking about Dominators or some Ballistix.. not sure on the 1t ability tho..

Rev,

I now have my HZ's at DDR-1023 4-5-4-15 at 2.5v 2T. This only nets me around 6900 in memory bandwidth under Sandra.... :confused:

$460.00 for Dominators... :eek: I wonder if it runs at 1T....??

Great setup You have. Thx for sharing pics with us. Nice job.

MD

wow, never seen that case before - nice setup indeed.

love the DD blocks, killer rig ....enjoy smoking those scores.

managerman said:
Rev,

I now have my HZ's at DDR-1023 4-5-4-15 at 2.5v 2T. This only nets me around 6900 in memory bandwidth under Sandra.... :confused:

$460.00 for Dominators... :eek: I wonder if it runs at 1T....??

Wellllllllllll... I just launched on the Ballistix Tracers for $325 right now.. 50 off.. that's a very good price for them.. I'm a sucker for some pretty lights.. lol. but honestly, I am forward thinking to when I go 680i and I want some real ddr2-1000 sticks for that.. I read a bunch of reviews and they all pimped the Ballistix.. they use Micron D9 chips.. some say they save the highest quality yeild D9s for the Ballistix.. but that prolly bs.. anyways..

So did you bench out 3dmark with your mems @ ddr2-1000??

revenant said:
So did you bench out 3dmark with your mems @ ddr2-1000??

Rev,

Only got a few more points...Really need to either go extreme on the speeds with relaxed timings or find some ram that will do 1T...I can't wait to see how your Ballistix bench..

-M

me also.. the p5w dh is -not- 1t capable.. but none the less, I'm going to try and push them and see what kind of numbers I can turn in.. from googling a bit I think these chips are 1t capable,..

anyways, it's possible with the OC on your quad core that you're at a sweet spot where extra memory bw doesn't pay off as much.. unless you crank the timings down, like you want to do.. just a thought.

what's the temp improvement from GTX with fan @ 100% vs Water?

I get 55 idle 62 load with fan on 100% and 644/1000. However, I do get random lock-ups after 3 or 4 hours of playing sometimes.

larkin said:
what's the temp improvement from GTX with fan @ 100% vs Water?

I get 55 idle 62 load with fan on 100% and 644/1000. However, I do get random lock-ups after 3 or 4 hours of playing sometimes.

I have found that it is usually 10-15C Lower.....depending on ambient temp...

-M

Yeah - I am eyeballing that cooler to isolate my cpu in one loop and then have my video cards in the main loop by themselves.. for when I go SLI.. lots of peeps bashed it, but I read if you crank the fan up it performs VERY well.

nice info.

where's their GPU tec/water cooler? that's what i really need.

P.S. I just went to their site and they have confused me by having two CPU cooling products, one called the Freezone (reviewed) the other called the Eliminator. Each look almost identical but the site makes no attempt at differentiating them. These guys need marketing help. Anyone know the difference?

larkin said:
nice info.

where's their GPU tec/water cooler? that's what i really need.

It's called the icehawk (single and dual gpu compatible):
http://www.coolitsystems.com/dev/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=118&Itemid=72

larkin said:
P.S. I just went to their site and they have confused me by having two CPU cooling products, one called the Freezone (reviewed) the other called the Eliminator. Each look almost identical but the site makes no attempt at differentiating them. These guys need marketing help. Anyone know the difference?

Here are the major differences between the Freezone, Eliminator and Icehawk. Let's start with what the Freezone and Eliminator have in common:

CPU FHE:
Eliminator and Freezone CPU FHE(fluid heat exchanger) are 195g and 42x42x17mm monolithic copper, multi-cell, single channel

Pump and Reservoir:
12VDC coreless outrunner pump w/integrated expansion vessel
Dual in fluid sapphire bearings
<15dBA
50,000 hrs
50 x 50 x 75 mm
360g

And that's it. The Freezone is the higher end product and here's why:

TCM:
Freezone has a TCM(Thermal Control Module) that is dual IC SMT PCB with outboard IC sensor. Eliminator does not have this.

Chiller and Pump module heatsink:
Freezone dual dissipation plate 89x53mm 850g
Eliminator 3 way dissipation plate 105mmx60mm 380g

TECs:
Freezone six solid state head pump wafters
40 x 40 x 3.5 mm (each)
20g x 6

Eliminator 3 solid-state heat pump wafers
40 x 40 x 3.5 mm (each)
20g x 3

Chiller FHE's:
Freezone Dual anodized alloy distribution,
multi-channel w/laminar flow
121 x 41 x 12 mm (each)
80g x 2

Eliminator Tri anodized alloy distribution,
41 x 41 x 12 mm (each)
32g x 3

Fan:
Freezone 26dBA – 37dBA
50,000 hrs
92 x 92 x 25 mm

Eliminiator 34dBA
50,000 hrs
92 x 92 x 38 mm

Now to change it up specs on the Icehawk:

Single/Dual GPU FHE:
2 125g units at 32x32x12mm each "Monolithic copper, multi-cell, single
channel, with universal heat spreader/adapter plate"
32 X 32 X 12 mm (each)
125g x 2

Single/Dual RAM Heat speader plates:
Nickle plated copper, universal RAM
cooling spreader plate
175 x 25 x 1.25 mm
20g x 2

Chiller and Pump Module Heatsink:
3-way dissipation plate, anodized
alloy, laminar flow array
105 (diameter) X 60 mm deep
380g

TECs:
3 solid-state heat pump wafers
40 x 40 x 3.5 mm (each)
20g x 3

Chillers FHEs:
Tri anodized alloy distribution,
41 x 41 x 12 mm (each)
32g x 3

Fan:
26dBA – 37dBA
50,000 hrs
92 x 92 x 25 mm

Pump and Reservoir:
12VDC coreless outrunner pump
w/integrated expansion vessel
Dual in fluid sapphire bearings
<15dBA
50,000 hrs
50 x 50 x 75 mm
360g

Hope this helps. Their website sucks and you have to go through the site a few times before you accidentally find the pages with this info on them so I figured it was easier to type it up & cut and paste it here for you.

Sorry for the theadhijack M.

Back