8800GTX SLI: 4 PCI-e power connectors required?

Mako360

Limp Gawd
Just bought a an OCZ 700w GameXstreme ps two months ago with my Conroe rig upgrade and it's only got 2 x PCI-e power connectors. The 8800GTX needs four when running in SLI...grrr...any way around this with splitters or some other hackneyed fix? :D

And save the "OMG U DUN WANT TO RUN DAt, IT WILL KILL DA RAILS!!!" nonsense. My system is far from a power hog (undervolted, one HD, no other PCI cards, etc).

Each card should have come with at least one Y-adapter correct? If so, that's what a friend of mine is planning on doing with their PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU. Just use the two 6-pin PCI-E power cables until you get another card.

If you do go SLI, use both Y-adapters on one card, or use one 6-pin & y-adapter per card. They mention 8800GTX SLI configurations here (look towards the bottom under the 'Connectors' section).

I have the same PSU and 1 8800GTX.. it does need both PCIe connectors plugged in. For the second set of PCIe connectors, just go off the other rails on the PSU with the molex to PCIe connectors.(need 4 open molex connectors that will convert down into 2 PCIe) The PSU has plenty of juice to handle two of those GTX's and power your system. If it bothers you that much, sell the PSU, and get a different one with more PCIe connectors.

I have that PSU as well. I tried a Fortron BoosterX3 300W booster, but it did not work correctly. It supposedly delivers 25 amps of 12V on two PCI-E connectors, but the cards complained (low voltage). So, just went ahead and picked up a Galaxy 1000 Watt PSU. Now, everything is as it should be.

_Durandal_ said:
Each card should have come with at least one Y-adapter correct? If so, that's what a friend of mine is planning on doing with their PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 PSU. Just use the two 6-pin PCI-E power cables until you get another card.

If you do go SLI, use both Y-adapters on one card, or use one 6-pin & y-adapter per card. They mention 8800GTX SLI configurations here (look towards the bottom under the 'Connectors' section).

Nice, that's just what I was looking to hear, thanks D.

Back