8800GTX or 8800GTS? What will you buy?

8950GX9 for me please.

I have no idea: there are no pricepoints, no certain specs, no benchmarks that I have seen, much less ones that I would care about. I don't buy stuff before I know what I am going to get for my money.

8800 gtx if and only if it can handle oblivion at 1920 x 1200 85% to max setttings and doesn't cost much more than $650. I'm hoping that is 2x the performance of a 7950gx2.

I really want to see what it can do when it's realeased to
get a better understanding of it's power.

Plus I want to see what the R600 can do.

Jasonx82 said:
Yep, Thats how i see it.. if your gonna dish out X amount of money might as well pay a lil bit more and get top of the line :p

$200-$300 is not a little more to some people.

If I had cash I'd get the GTS and overclock it?

I'm personally not getting a DX10 card until late 2007 possibly early 2008 though :p

I doubt I'll be buying either any time soon. I'm beginning to question PC gaming as a whole, so it'd seem silly to invest in something that no longer offers any returns.

GTS, just to play Crysis.

I'm not a gamer, but christ that looks amazing...

GTS will be the awesomeness of DX10 at a price point I can afford. C2D offers me more performance/price than a new GPU... so... yeah.

what will the power requirements of these new cards be? i have a 7900gt now and runs fine

I will wait until after vista, because a part of me thinks that they will bring out an 8900 series after, which will have lower power consumption and a less crazy large card. (like 7900gx2 to 7950gx2) Moreover, I have no idea how well it will perform compared to r600. also, as first dx10 card, will be crazy pricey for some time.
but if i dead, it would be gts, as I only paly at 1440x900!
f

Planning on the GTX, but they must be insane if it is more than $500. ATI and NV really need to step back from the crack pipe a bit, they would sell ALOT more of the high end cards if they brought the price point down a bit....

also we will just need to see how the GTS and GTX compare to each other.....

TheRapture said:
Planning on the GTX, but they must be insane if it is more than $500. ATI and NV really need to step back from the crack pipe a bit, they would sell ALOT more of the high end cards if they brought the price point down a bit....

also we will just need to see how the GTS and GTX compare to each other.....

I agree that the prices are getting too insane, but let me assure you, G80 will bring gaming performance and high quality image to a new level. That comes with a high price unfortunately :)
I think that $600-$650 will be the retail price for the 8800 GTX at launch, but it should settle at $550 a month or so later.

iRoNeTiK said:
what will the power requirements of these new cards be? i have a 7900gt now and runs fine

The rumors mention a good 450W PSU for the 8800 GTX. Which is about the same recommended for a 7950 GX2.
I expect that the GTS has lower power requirements. Maybe a good 400W will do.

larkin said:
I kinda want to see R600 vs G80 comparisons first. is that wrong of me?

Not at all, but at the time R600 is out, comparisons won't be made against G80, but rather the refreshed and improved G80, probably G81.
It's going to be a long wait though, since R600 should only debut three months after G80.

GTS here...maybe SLi down the road if nVidia's new C2D board OC's well...

Riddlinkidstoner said:
I'm gonna go for the GTS...since it'll be obviously better than my current card I think i'll be just fine. I don't feel like spending more than $300 for a video card...and hell no I won't get it at release, either :D

I Agree with you. Although I would "Like" the higher end card, the much higher price point just kills it for me. In the long run, the difference probably isnt that great. (I.E. 2-3 years from now when I upgrade again). I am still running a 6800 Vanilla Myself, Paid $200 and it works well.

I Guess its a case of Diminishing Returns for me.

Now, $600+ for a card is WAY too much IMO. I remember when $100 bought you a top of the line card not that many years ago. To be honest, I just don't even See $400 as a good top end price. $300 should be the most anyone should pay for a Home Graphics solution. But, the market has shown that people will bare that higher price for some reason. It just makes no sense that the Graphics portion is 50%-90% of the price of the PC.

What if the 8800 sucks the same way the 7800 did? Everyone either bought a 7600 or waited for the 7900 which fixed all of the hardware issues with the initial release (7800) and those people who bought the flagship product felt awfully silly.

Zwitterion said:
What if the 8800 sucks the same way the 7800 did? Everyone either bought a 7600 or waited for the 7900 which fixed all of the hardware issues with the initial release (7800) and those people who bought the flagship product felt awfully silly.

Could you please enlighten me on why the 7800 sucked ?
I really am not aware of any problem for NVIDIA in the recent past, except maybe the bad memory in some 7900 GT models, 7900 being a refresh of G70.
AFAIK, the 7800 series, was a hit, especially because ATI had problems with R520 chip and didn't offer competition.
Plus, during the time of 7800, there was no 7600 for a while. The mid-range card that appeared, was the 6800 GS.

The 7800's did not suck, at all. I had a 7800GTX and it was a fine card, in fact, after I got rid of it and got a 7900GT, I wondered why I even bothered.....

...I should have held onto the 7800GTX.....until G80, and saved myself a load of $$$ :rolleyes: ;)

TheRapture said:
The 7800's did not suck, at all. I had a 7800GTX and it was a fine card, in fact, after I got rid of it and got a 7900GT, I wondered why I even bothered.....

...I should have held onto the 7800GTX.....until G80, and saved myself a load of $$$ :rolleyes: ;)

I have 2 7800gtx's and they have been awesome cards to me. Thats exactly why I didnt upgrade to the G71 line....not enough of a boost to warrant the cash. Have been waiting for the G80 since last year.

Oh and I still wanna know who/when/where can we start to place pre orders for these cards. I want to place a pre order at least 2 weeks in advance for my gtx's. I'm not gonna scramble launch day to see who has what and for what price. I pre ordered way before the 6800's launched and it was pain free. :)

That guy is just making crap up as he goes along. There's nothing wrong with 7800GTX cards and nobody really regretted buying them due to some "flaw". . . especially because you couldn't even find the 512MB version that replaced it until the 7900GTX came out.

Still running both of mine and I feel like I'm gliding in just right to a 8800GTX upgrade path having bypassed the 7900 series.

As for price gouging. . . there will only be price gouging if there aren't a bunch of different vendors with the cards on launch day. Indications are that this will be a "hard launch". . . so let's hope it's a substantial one and we'll get the cards for MSRP (or below).

I expect $650 for the intitial GTX release. I'm considering two.

H

Hurin said:
That guy is just making crap up as he goes along. There's nothing wrong with 7800GTX cards and nobody really regretted buying them due to some "flaw". . .

what he said
:)

7800gt had amazing price/performance, but i think i'm going with gtx this time because of the pipelines and i have a a8n32 and run 1920x1200

G80go if its even gonna exist. Im buying in jan or possibly feb, and Ill be dissappointed if I get stuck with a DX9 level chip.
*See \/ Sig*

Looks like I'll be going with a single GTX for now. I just purchased the 37'' 1080P Westinghouse. ^_^ Then, maybe I'll go GTX SLI depending on how it handles games.

Sparrow_69 said:
The 8800gts looks like it has a good price/performance ratio based on the specs

Was thinking the same thing... now lets hope the price doesn't get jacked too far up.

Can someone tell if the cards in the leaked pictures have a standard waterblock mounting pattern? I'm looking to buy a Swiftech Storm but would hate to have it not be compatible with the new G80s.

Hurin said:
That guy is just making crap up as he goes along. There's nothing wrong with 7800GTX cards and nobody really regretted buying them due to some "flaw". . . especially because you couldn't even find the 512MB version that replaced it until the 7900GTX came out.

Still running both of mine and I feel like I'm gliding in just right to a 8800GTX upgrade path having bypassed the 7900 series.

As for price gouging. . . there will only be price gouging if there aren't a bunch of different vendors with the cards on launch day. Indications are that this will be a "hard launch". . . so let's hope it's a substantial one and we'll get the cards for MSRP (or below).

I expect $650 for the intitial GTX release. I'm considering two.

H

I am definitely considering two of them. I need them to drive my Dell 3007WFP.

Jester1550 said:
Was thinking the same thing... now lets hope the price doesn't get jacked too far up.

$300 is probably right.. What have most GT Cards Debuted at? $250? $300?

KENNYB said:
Can someone tell if the cards in the leaked pictures have a standard waterblock mounting pattern? I'm looking to buy a Swiftech Storm but would hate to have it not be compatible with the new G80s.

They certainly LOOK like they do... There are 4 equidistant holes on the board... looks damn normal to me. Didn't the 7900GS have different mounting patterns? or am I completely wrong?

PS: You dont wanna buy a swiftech Storm for your GPU, that's a CPU only block :p

TheBluePill said:
$300 is probably right.. What have most GT Cards Debuted at? $250? $300?

Not likely. On top of being one of the first Direct 3D 10 cards if its performance is close to that of a 7950GX2 its probably going to be $499 since 7950GX2's have a msrp of around $600 iirc.

Arcygenical said:
You dont wanna buy a swiftech Storm for your GPU, that's a CPU only block :p

Well then they need to make a vid card that's compatible with cpu blocks so we can buy 2x of the same block to make it look nicer :D

Back