8800gtx died

Dasimpson

Gawd
well my 8800gtx has died rip my old friend.
i haven't got much money to spare so what would be the best card to go for with out needing to upgrade my cpu.
my system specs are in my sig i game at 1680x1050.
i would like somthing that would be an upgrade from the 8800gtx for good fps in games but with current hardware
cheaper the better
thank you in advance

Bake it!

For a gpu on budget for that res 6850 or 6870 in my opinion.

Ah that changes things... probably not without a massive handling charge.

What brand of 8800GTX is it? Does it happen to be one of the ones with lifetime warranties?

xfx contacted them said it down to the place i got it from and well the place i got it from no longer about

Budget? You can get a GTS 250 (rebranded 9800 GTX+) for $30 after rebate from Tigerdirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=154506&CatId=3670

8800GTX is still faster then the 9800GTX+ though.. so even for 30 bucks it wouldn't be worth it.

op'er best option in my opinion if you want to save money especially in the EU market is look for second hard cards. see if you can snag a used GTX 260 for cheap. should give you a nice boost and is plenty of performance for that resolution.

My 8800gtx (aftermarket cooling, so no warranty) also died several weeks ago. I bought an interim card to tide me over until the next generation is released. I was split between a 560ti and HD6850. I went with the 6850 and am very happy. (Plenty of reasons why that's a better card for my purposes.) It's overclocked and according to GPUreview.com it is very similar to the 560ti, non-OC. Plus, it was about $100 cheaper.

Regardless, the HD6850 is a huge leap over my 8800gtx. (1920x1200, q6600 @3.0ghz)

That was one heck of a card.

Too bad you're not local. I'd give you one I have not being used.

thanks looks like i might have to hold back on getting a crd for couple of month i can get a gtx560ti for £100 at a locel shop so will stick with the 8600gt i have for awhile

8800 best card i ever had must of had this rig now since 06 was still doing well 8800 started to drop in fps in a few games but i could still play on min graphics for the extra fps

if you in the uk I will sell you my 8800GT maybe, depends how much you willing to pay.

I will post more if this forum allows it. Not sure if I be breaking any rules or not.

8800GTX is still faster then the 9800GTX+ though.. so even for 30 bucks it wouldn't be worth it.

op'er best option in my opinion if you want to save money especially in the EU market is look for second hard cards. see if you can snag a used GTX 260 for cheap. should give you a nice boost and is plenty of performance for that resolution.

Actually the 9800GTX+ is faster than the 8800gtx in most games. I owned a BFG 8800GTX OC edition, and thus followed the benches often. The 9800GTX is about even with the 8800GTX, but the 9800GTX+ beats it.

Damn my 8800GT just died yesterday too... well didn't die, but i can't even watch a youtube video or anything that is graphic intensive for 2 minutes before it craps out and i get a black screen. If I'm sufing the web it's good though -sigh-

Damn my 8800GT just died yesterday too... well didn't die, but i can't even watch a youtube video or anything that is graphic intensive for 2 minutes before it craps out and i get a black screen. If I'm sufing the web it's good though -sigh-

bake it, problem solved.

my monitor is 60Herts, max res 1680x1050, do you think that with the e8500 and the gtx560ti i should easy get the 60fps, i will move to the qx6850 when one come along at the right price for the games that can run more then 2 cores. but id just like to know if i would be safe for how i game i think that i7 is just way to much of an outlay.

Damn! I did bake it and followed instructions. Working great again. I wonder how long this fix will last?

from my attempts anything from a week to a month or longer depending on how hard you work it

Damn! I did bake it and followed instructions. Working great again. I wonder how long this fix will last?

from my attempts anything from a week to a month or longer depending on how hard you work it

This is pretty accurate, but sometimes you get lucky with a good flow.

You are basically using your oven as a ghetto solder reflow station to fix solder fractures from repeated heating/cooling cycles. Unfortunately you can never get a true reflow in your oven because smt chips would begin falling off the back of the card.

If you can hold out until the next gen, that is what I would do. No sense in buying a mediocre card to match your rig, just upgrade the rig down the road and keep the new card you get.

i think for me the qx6850 and a 560ti should do me for as long as the 8800gtx has unless games take a real leap again forcing me to move up i know i needed to upgrade when battlefeild 3 was limited to about 40fps but this could of been down to only haveing a e8500 i know end of day i need a quad cpu and a decent card

i think for me the qx6850 and a 560ti should do me for as long as the 8800gtx has unless games take a real leap again forcing me to move up i know i needed to upgrade when battlefeild 3 was limited to about 40fps but this could of been down to only haveing a e8500 i know end of day i need a quad cpu and a decent card

That is almost exactly the upgrade I did with a similar setup. I couldn't OC my Q6850 because I'm running a P35 chipset, but it still gets the job done. I upgraded to the 560 (sans ti) and love it. I know it's a little hobbled, but coming from an 8800GT, it's great.

Back