8800GTX died, recommend me something new :(

Scotty_SFF

Gawd
So my trusty old GTX died on its arse today. Which is really the worst time it could have done so.:mad:

Originally i was planning on waiting until Windows 7 went official before i upgraded anything and hopefully a GTX300 would be out by then.

Although it seems my 8800 had other plans.

Money isn't really a problem but i don't want to go and just spend loads because i can.

Looking for something that can do a solid 60FPS in UT3/L4D/COD4/TF2 and things to come like COD6 and L4D2. 1680x1050 res, i also run a second monitor for IRC/Teamspeak/various other useless programs.

My current card is, or was, watercooled. So i may end up going the same route with this one.

Nvidia is my prefered choice, yes im a fanboy, i prefer their cards, i've got ATi in my laptop and its a pita, so i won't be going ATi in my main system. Chances of me going SLi are very slim.

From your sig its an EVGA... I would contact them and see what they will do.

Indeed, if you did whatever was necessary back then, you should have a lifetime warranty on it.

A very near equivalent is the GTS 250. It's a redesigned 9800GTX+ with a shorter board that requires only one 6-pin PCI-E power connector. The 9800GTX+ was a little faster than the 9800GTX, which in turn was a little faster than the 8800GTX. Goes for $105 or so on newegg last I looked.

I am doing the same exact thing as you are - I've got an eVGA 8800GTX and WinXP; when Win7, DX11 and an nVidia 300 card are available I'll upgrade those in one shot.

Think ill go something low end for now just to pass through, cant be bothered with warranty and stuff, if i even have the stuff needed..

So my trusty old GTX died on its arse today. Which is really the worst time it could have done so.:mad:

Originally i was planning on waiting until Windows 7 went official before i upgraded anything and hopefully a GTX300 would be out by then.

Although it seems my 8800 had other plans.

Money isn't really a problem but i don't want to go and just spend loads because i can.

Looking for something that can do a solid 60FPS in UT3/L4D/COD4/TF2 and things to come like COD6 and L4D2. 1680x1050 res, i also run a second monitor for IRC/Teamspeak/various other useless programs.

My current card is, or was, watercooled. So i may end up going the same route with this one.

Nvidia is my prefered choice, yes im a fanboy, i prefer their cards, i've got ATi in my laptop and its a pita, so i won't be going ATi in my main system. Chances of me going SLi are very slim.

If you are able to resort to the warranty service, you'll likely get a GTS 250, which is a bit faster than your 8800 GTX, but is more or less equivalent in performance overall. Should hold you over quite nicely.
However, if you want the best bang for your buck, performance wise, then look no further than a GTX 260 216. It's relatively cheap today (between $150 and $200) and is quite powerful. Quite a bit more powerful than a 8800 GTX actually. Up to 1920x1200, it can handle almost every game out there, with eye candy on.

Back