8800GTX 2D Throttling?

Ricey

Limp Gawd
Anyone notice their 8800GTX doesnt throttle down when not running a 3D app? I was wondering why my card idles at 70-73C. Atitool showed 2D, 3D Power, 3D Perf as all 576/900 clock. When i turned down my 2D to 300/600 my temps dropped to 60-65C. Does the G80s not have 2D throttling like the 7 series or is mine broken somehow?

Wow it sounds like alot of people are having trouble with thieir 8800, maybe I should reconsider getting one :eek:

cool, im here to report setting the 2D clocks in AtiTool does the throttle for you automatically. Before i had to set diff profiles with the diff clocks and assign a hotkey to it to manually do throttles on my X1900. Setting the 2D clock sliders now make the throttling automatic. Just played Nwn2 with settings all high at 1680x1050 and atitool switched to 3d mode. Temps went up to 85C (damn thats high, not sure if my fan goes up to 100% or not since ntune direct control fan doesnt work for me) but once i exited it went back to 2D. Guess i'll have to use Atitool for now.

Thanks for the tip Ricey, so what did the idle throlttle do to your idle temps?

I posted this a couple of days ago but no one replied. My card will most likely be RMA'd. "Fixing" the 2D to 3D shift by keeping the card in 3D all the time is not a fix. I shouldn't have to use atitool to change my 2D clocks.

Maybe this should be stickied. Who has a 8800 GTX that actuall performs a 2D to 3D shift?

True but there hasnt been any official word they even implemented a 2D-3D throttle with the G80s so I have no clue right now. I just use Atitool to keep temps bit a lower and maybe cut the power a little.

Known problem with the drivers throttling down so if you see performance bite the dust, check your score in 3dmark06. The problem I had was that the card was throttling down to about 25% performance in the primary pci-e slot. I tried removing all of the drivers, re-installing, cleaning, etc. to no avail. As I had two cards I tested them both in pci-e slot 1 and both sucked. In the secondary slot they were fine.

Test your card in 3dmark06 and make sure you getting kick ass frame rates in the default tests. If you see 15fps in the first 3dmark06 graphics test it's borked and is probably the known driver problem with both the 680i and 8800 GTX drivers. If you cannot fix the driver you have to re-install the o/s (like I did...as per recommendations of others here). That worked. If you do have to re-install the drivers install the latest version only and don't touch them afterwards.

Not sure if that's your problem, but could be. They are working on a driver update.'

When mine throttled down it was getting 15fps in SLI in 3dmark06 graphics test. After the re-install I was getting 75+. Can you say 'buggy'? Heh.

Im assuming the gts is supposed to throttle down also?

my gts idls around 60c, nvidia monitorview shows the clock speeds @ 650 (my o/c) 100% of the time.... Looks like i have to reformat?

Back