8800GTS Distorted Video Playback

9mmx19

[H]ard|Gawd
Trying a PNY (maybe that explains it all) 8800GTS instead of a 7950GT. Video playback (specifically XVID) is now screwed up in the upper right corner of videos, as if its not refreshing fast enough or something. Theres a diagonal border where beyond it its showing like part of a frame from a couple of moments earlier. The framerate is also slower in that region. Occurs in WMPClassic and WMP9. Windowed and fullscreen. Both DVI ports.

Only thing I changed was uninstall and install new drivers. Im using XP with 158.22 drivers. Ive tried un/reinstalling the codecs and drivers.

Any idea whats on going on? Weird thing is the card works fine in 3D apps.

EDIT: Tried some other non XVID video files and they are fine. Leads me to think its a codec thing.

Best way to eliminate codec conflict and such is to try with VLC player, its free and plays virtually all videos out there. Try with VLC, if no go, start looking for different versions of 3D card drivers.

ps. What drivers are you using? Using Vista or XP? More info, better people can help you.

Well at least I know its not hardware related - works fine with VLC player. Thx for the suggestion. :)

Weird that just changing my video card would screw up my video playback. I was using CCCP with WMPClassic and it worked for years perfectly. Damn I liked my WMPClassic :(

Well Im on Vista now and XVID stuff plays fine with MPClassic. Seems something is up with my XP install :(

Tried a fresh XP - same thing. This is so bizzare, same thing with some beta drivers. WHAT. THE. HELL?

Well it was the codecs I was using. CCCP had the problem, the standalone XVID + MPC playback wasnt completely smooth, but the solution was the K-Lite codec pack for some reason. The MPC that comes with that works fine.

I'm having the same problem that 9mmx19 used to have. I didn't try installing other codecs yet. I'm using the latest v158.22 drivers (May 17). I'm using an 8800 GTX video card with the CCCP codec pack and Media Player Classic.

example picture:
distorted.jpg

I've used the K-lite mega codec pack for some time now with pretty good success. VLS is the oldie but goldie though.

CCCP staff here.

Solution to the problem is as follows: Go Start -> Programs -> CCCP -> ffdshow video -> Output (left side, all the way down). Check YV12 there and apply.
This works too of course if you have ffdshow installed separately.

This is a known driver problem with all 8800 series cards. For some reason nvidia messed up the YUY2 colorspace conversion. Not a big problem though as virtually all MPEG video is natively YV12 anyway, so that enabling it even gives a speed boost to playback.
This option is disabled in CCCP by default because very old vidcards have problems with YV12 but can handle YUY2. In the next release YV12 will be enabled by default as said old cards are on the verge of extinction anyway.

If you have any other CCCP related problems feel free to ask in our forums or chat for support.

Back