8800gts crashing (i think)

JonnyK

2[H]4U
I run dual monitors with 2x 8800gts's in my computer. Specs in sig. When i have multiple video applications open at once my computer will freeze, requiring a hard reboot. Sometimes the screens just freeze, and sometimes both monitors will go black, giving the no signal detected message. I'm guessing this is one or both graphics cards shutting down somehow, or the driver crashing in a major way.

It never happens if i'm just playing 1 thing, be it a full screen video or game. If i'm watching two movies full screened at the same time it happens very quickly, especially quickly if i actually make it full screen, with no menu bars etc. on the top and bottom. If i have one full screen and one maximized or running in a smaller window, rather than both full screen it takes much longer to occur, but many times still does. It can be anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour after i have opened both applications before the crash occurs.

It seems to happen more often if i'm running in SLI than if i'm running without. turning on the physx stuff doesn't seem to make any difference. Before this I was getting something like, "your graphics driver has failed and has recovered" after the screens would both go black for a second then come back on. It's been a while since i've seen that message, it just freezes now. I've never seen anything like this. Do you think taking out the graphics cards and testing with just the 2nd one that doesn't get as much use could isolate my main card as the problem, or is this a software / driver issue.

Thanks for any help.

dual monitor sli - 180 drivers? Brand new - surprised it even works at all.

Back