8800GT won't Fit?

Shivers

n00b
Hello,

This may sound a bit dumb but I have just built a new system by myself and everything has been fine until this. I have been trying to get a 8800GT in the Pci express slot of an abit ip35 pro for about 4 hours now lol. No matter what I do...the half of it with the lock goes straight in but the left hand side of the card wont go in at all? Nothing is bent on the card or the slot...Is there some kind of unusual way I should be fitting this?

Thanks

something in the pci-e slot itself? debris?

and of course, you've removed the corresponding bracket and screw on the back of your case correct?

Have to ask to make sure. You are not trying to put a PCI-E card into an AGP slot by any chance? If not, don't put one end in before the other, just press it in straight down and evenly, may require some gentle force. Make sure metal bracket is not getting stuck on something.

line it up above the slot so you aren't pushing at an angle on that little nib and give it a push.

Its definately pci-e slot, I have to put it in at an angle where the side with the clip goes down first because thats teh only way the notch on teh left hand side will go near the notch on the pci-e slot,

there's like a latch on the card that snugs round the bracket input port which seems to be stopping the left hand side from going fully in? Anyone else see what I mean on their cards and how they got around it?

Considering that you're putting the lock end in first, it;s likely the bottom of the metal end where the video connectors are is probably hooking on part of the case. make sure thats clearing everything, and try to put it down straight.

Only right hand side of card fits.

Back of card, see that latch? is it supposed to go there?

Considering that you're putting the lock end in first, it;s likely the bottom of the metal end where the video connectors are is probably hooking on part of the case. make sure thats clearing everything, and try to put it down straight.

Hi its not clearing everything, It wont fit the notch on teh board unless I put the lock end in first...at which point the lock end clicks and the end near the chassis wont go down any further.

that metal tab on the second picture is supposed to be inside the case. it fits into a little slot between the edge of the case and the motherboard.

If you just cant figure it out...don't break the card. GeekSquad @ Best Buy will install it for $39..

It's not rocket science but not everyone can put a card into a slot so it seems...

If you just cant figure it out...don't break the card. GeekSquad @ Best Buy will install it for $39..

It's not rocket science but not everyone can put a card into a slot so it seems...

Lol I like your sense of humour man, I managed to do it...thanks for the help guys.

you know, it was pretty obvious to some of the seasoned builders here what you did wrong. There are however many here that are not so "seasoned". Tell them what you did to remedy your situation? I'm sure you're not the only one to ever have this problem.

Sure...The metal tab that was sticking out was my problem, I had it stuck outside so the pci pins would not align as there was not enough room, Fixed it by putting it in the insert by the edge of the motherboard and then it slotted straight in.

you know, it was pretty obvious to some of the seasoned builders here what you did wrong. There are however many here that are not so "seasoned". Tell them what you did to remedy your situation? I'm sure you're not the only one to ever have this problem.

QFT, we've all started building PCs w/o any knowledge at all. This kind of trouble is especially common when dealing with cheap cases, what i call the "chinese centimetric precision". :D

We've all come upon some bonehead situations, once when I was building a pc, it took me forever and one day to realize that my friends and I didn't screw down the waterblock enough to cool the cpu so that it would post.

It happens. Like doing the first oil change on your first car by yourself...after pouring in 5 quarts of full synthetic and having my mom ask if I remembered to put the drain plug back in. "Of course I ...oh, shit.":eek:

I still get crap from her about that. Or not noticing the cpu water block was cracked and my new Opteron was soaking in coolant...zif socket swimming in wetness ,"Why the hell are you shutting off like that?! And where's all this coolant on the board ...coming...from...oh, shit." Murphy's Law happens.

Yea, I'm a fairly well seasoned builder and last night I moved my 7950GX2 to my other PC which has both AGP and PCI-E. I couldn't understand why I was only getting offered 4:3 reolutions up to 1600x1200 on my 22" 1680x1050 widescreen LCD. Made sure to install correct monitor .inf file, re-installed drivers and still the same issue. Then it hit me that I had forgot to change the option in the bios to boot PCI-E first instead of AGP (last card in that PC was AGP). Once I changed that then I was offered the correct correct 16:10 resolutions. Doh!

By the nature of the mistake and and how simple it would seem to most of us, I'm surprised by the lack of cheap jokes and the abundance of class in this thread.

lol ive made my share of dumbmistakes on making pcs. my first time i forgot the standoffs and shorted out the mobo. and another time my cpu cooler wasnt down enough and im like wtf stop rebooting.

I would have given up after the first incidente u mentioned..

While I did expect this thread to be about a card too tall or long for a case ;)

I remember the first couple of builds I did, I'm trying to be so careful, taking my time, lining everything up. And still managed to nick boards while seating heatsinks or break retaining clips on vid cards :D

Murphy's Law happens.

Ain't it the truth!

First computer I built, everything went as planned, spent almost an hour cable managing...turned it on, motherboard blows up =(....I had one extra mounting screw at the back that you screw the motherboard on too...so it was metal against the motherboard.

when I first started opening computers to replace parts, I stuck a screwdriver onto a capcitor on the motherboard and discharged it!!!

The screwdriver shaft turned black and a puff of smoke came out! Motherboard worked though.

and of course, you've removed the corresponding bracket and screw on the back of your case correct?

I kind of laughed at this. Not just because its a stupid thing to do but because its exactly what I did with my first build and struggled with it for a solid hour or so.

my cpu cooler wasnt down enough and im like wtf stop rebooting
Haha another one of my newbie builder memories. Finally looked at BIOS and saw the temp reading climb to 216C before it shut itself off. I don't think I was ever so scared in my life.

By the nature of the mistake and and how simple it would seem to most of us, I'm surprised by the lack of cheap jokes and the abundance of class in this thread.

If we weren't a classy board, we'd be telling people "You need to cut off the extra tab if you're going to put it in that slot!" or something.
And I have actually heard this before.:D

Finally looked at BIOS and saw the temp reading climb to 216C before it shut itself off. I don't think I was ever so scared in my life.

i hope u mean 216F. other wise thats "420" degrees F.

If we weren't a classy board, we'd be telling people "You need to cut off the extra tab if you're going to put it in that slot!" or something.
And I have actually heard this before.:D

LOL I'm not sure we should be lumped in with anything classy. I think most of us aren't willing to go as far as classy. I read some where that being classy requires a monocle:D

Anyways, there is no need to rip on you. You heeded the advice and now your rockin away. If you where an Idiot you wouldn't have asked for help and just broke it.;) PLUS, everyone makes mistakes. I once tried to cram pc-133 into a DDR slot and I knew better. I just wasn't paying attention. Whats worse is that it actually fit, and I turned the PC on:p Everything was great until I noticed the beeping and then it let out some of the magic smoke:eek:

lol ive made my share of dumbmistakes on making pcs. my first time i forgot the standoffs and shorted out the mobo. and another time my cpu cooler wasnt down enough and im like wtf stop rebooting.

LOL the first computer I built (this one) I didn't know what the copper standoffs were that came with my case so I just left them in the bag and installed the mobo. It took me hours to figure out why the computer wouldnt turn on. Good thing it wasn't fryed when I finally put them in and reinstalled the mobo. OOPS!

Back