8800GT vs 9600GT for my needs.

Scotch77

Gawd
My rig will consist of a Intel E8400 and a Abit ip35 pro. I don't game very much, but still like te ability to when I have the chance. I would in fact love to be able to watch HD content i can get off the newsgroups usually in x264 format. My current pc can play these videos but its very jittery. I am looking at either the 8800GT or the 9600GT and I will game or watch HD content on a Wide screen samsung LCD on the resolution of 1440x1080. I also have dual screens.

so for my needs is the extra money for the 8800GT worth it over the nearly comparable 9600GT.

8800GT worth the little extra for peace of mind. Get evga incase you would like to step up within 90days

I just realized my motherboard does not support PCI-e 2.0, only the newer x38 chipsets do. so I guess the 8800GT is out.

so which EVGA 8800GT will defiantly run for me. I could care less about their superclocks and stuff, just the cheapest GDDR3 512MB unit.

I just realized my motherboard does not support PCI-e 2.0, only the newer x38 chipsets do. so I guess the 8800GT is out.

ANY 8800GT will work. The newer spec is 100% backwards compatible with the previous spec. As long as you have a pci-e 16x slot, you are golden.

backwards compatible is not the same as being forwards compatible. but ok thanks.

backwards compatible is not the same as being forwards compatible. but ok thanks.

What I mean is, the newer spec VIDEO CARD, the 8800GT, will indeed be BACKWARDS compatible with your older spec pci-x mobo....

8800GT>9600GT so the 8800GT is worth the extra cost. Don't worry about the PCI-E 2.0, it's a future spec. that is not currently of any benefit as the cards don't use enough bandwidth for it.
I would just buy a stock-clocked card, the factory overclocked cards are a waste of money.
My stock-clocked XFX 8800GTS will blow away any factory-overclocked card, as it overclocks very well, thanks to Rivatuner. I would also suggest checking out the 8800GTS 512 as they are often on sale for just a bit more than the GT. And consider XFX as well as EVGA:cool:

Gigabyte,MSI, Leadtek and a few others all do a version of the 8800GT with much better redesinged coolers. I would be going this was over a stock EVGA myself if I was buying one again. Ver2 of the stock cooler is not bad, but these other models are better for about the same price.

With only the GX2 and 9800GTX probably coming in the next 3 months, the Evga step up program won't help much unless you are prepared to spend substantially more.

Its just smarter buying imo.

definitely consider the cooler on an 8800 GT they run hot stock, but rivatuner can fix that problem easily on any card by speeding up the fan. they normally come set to really slow speeds at very high temps by default its kinda insane imo

as for playing back HD material, use a program that supports nvidia purevideo and make sure you get purevideo installed (it does not come with most video cards!!! you have to buy it)
windows media player is supported by it as well as powerDVD (you have to set hardware accel on in powerDVD) this will solve playback of HD content. by default all programs run in software decode mode, works fine on SD video's but HD is too much data for your CPU to decode

Also Purevideo works on many geforce cards, possibly including the one you currently have

Just got that one myself for $219 at Micro Center, can't remember I bought two cards from the same generation (8600 and 8800) Really enjoying the higher resolutions in game, now I just need to find the money for Crysis.

Back