8800GT over 9600GT?

SidewinderX

2[H]4U
Hey guys,

I'm putting together a new build in the next month or two, and I was wondering is there was any reason to get a 9600GT over the better performing 8800GT if I'm willing to pay the $20 price premium?

I know people are going to said wait for the next gen (is it coming soon? Like actual order product off internet soon?), but I'm really looking for a card under $200 (closer to the $150 to $180 range tbh)... are any of the next gen going to fit that range?

Thanks!

I would say it's worth the 20$ premium, but it also depends. I wouldn't buy a 8800GT with the stock cooler as it's loud and has a hard time cooling. The 9600GT produces less heat, hence the stock cooler works well.

I was in the same boat. I guess it depends on the resolution you play at. My monitor is limited to 1280 x 1024 so i picked the 9600gt. At higher res the 8800gt will shine

i dont have a lot of knoledge with the 9600s but im fixing to get one but i havent updated my card in a while. so yea go 4 it.

i would actually recommend getting one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...48+106791921+1067924922+1068310557&name=512MB

what i've learned from these forums is waiting for next gen is irrelevant. get the best you can afford at the time you want to upgrade. i cant imagine that msi or ecs giving you any trouble. they're all the same card with a different sticker and obviously warranty offered

Those cards are still a little more than I'd like to spend.

And it's not the usual "waiting for the next gen" thing... it's just that the next gen is apparently coming in the time period when I'm building my system... anyone know the the likely MSRPs are for the next gen SKUs?

well now that makes me wonder too.

i do not like video cards that produce lots of heat while wasting lots of power. but i run 1680x1050 res so i do need speed.

how does the 9600gt compare to the 8800gts g92's in these aspects- btu's, load/idle wattage, and overall speed? by focusing those three together against each card, we should be able to see if that equals the ~$55 price difference. honestly, if the 8800gts g92 uses 30% more power, i might just save the money and get the 9600gt.

I wonder why there are no reviews for this card on the egg.It seems like a really sweet deal

I choose the 9600gt because I scored a great deal on it ($100). Keep in mind that overclocked, it will easily match an 8800gt, but the 8800's are great overclockers as well.

I choose the 9600gt because I scored a great deal on it ($100). Keep in mind that overclocked, it will easily match an 8800gt, but the 8800's are great overclockers as well.

Please share the link if it is available online.

If you want an 8800GT 512MB with excellent cooling AND performance, get the MSI OC version.. I own two and run them in SLI without a hiccup or worry.. NewEgg currently (I just checked the price) has it for $184.99 after a $25 instant savings.. There are some other cards there as well that are factory OC'd with good coolers on them, too.. I agree that you should stay away from the stock heatsink/fans though..

that xfx card seems sweet at $139 with no rebates to deal with.
I only play at 1024x768, 1366x768 and 1280x720
I see really no need to get an 8800gt.I still need to get a new psu anyways so I have some money to save up anyways.I've got $100 right now I am just waiting for some good deal to come out now.
I was thinking of going with the OC xfx card.the 770/2000 card is $169 and comes with cod4.
That seems like a better deal considering it is already OC and comes with a game but I don't know how far a 9600gt can be OC from a reference clock and how much cod4 cost to buy.

there's no reason not to get an 8800GT at this point, they can be found for $150.

I will quote from: http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUxNiwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

GeForce 8800 GT

Surprisingly, we found that the GeForce 8800 GT was quite playable with the same settings as were the GeForce 9800 GX2 and GeForce 9800 GTX. Our average framerate was ever-so-slightly lower with the GeForce 8800 GT, but it was still playable and the gameplay did not suffer for the minute lost frames.

GeForce 9600 GT

On the other hand, the GeForce 9600 GT didn't fare nearly as well as the GeForce 8800 GT. At 1920x1200, we found ourselves having to lower too many settings and the gameplay suffering too much because of it. So, we lowered the game down to 1600x1200 with 16X AF, and brought our gameplay settings back up. Even still, we had to disable parallax mapping, and set the shadow resolution and ambient occlusion settings down to low. That still wasn't enough, so we lowered the HG view distance to 75% and overall draw distance to 2009 meters, and it was finally playable again.

I just picked up a PNY 8800GT 512 at BBuy for $149. seemed like too good a deal to pass up. Is there a consensus on aftermarket coolers for these things? I'd like something that won't be as loud as the stock fan at 100%

I just picked up a PNY 8800GT 512 at BBuy for $149. seemed like too good a deal to pass up. Is there a consensus on aftermarket coolers for these things? I'd like something that won't be as loud as the stock fan at 100%

Accelero S1. You can run it in passive mode too.

Back