8800GT just died during UT3

plac

Gawd
8800GT just died during UT3

BFG 8800GT (always stock clocks)

Its fixed now as i am typing this. Here's what happened. I was playing through Unreal Tournament single player missions. 1680x1050, all settings maxed. The action was hot and heavy and right then, my screen just went blank. I hit my power button to reset. I still had no picture upon a fresh boot. Everything else worked. After leaving it 20 mins I came back and then got display on boot. This isnt a power issue, I have had two of these in SLI previously with no issues. (Enermax 650W PS)

I'm glad it came back but now im worried. Its idling right now at 48C. My fan is set for 60 duty cycle permanent. I suppose I could bump it to 80 when i play. Maybe I'll do logs on NVtemplogger to see how hot it gets. I'll update later.

I had a friend whose eVGA 8800GT overheated during UT3. It didn't suddenly die, it would just lock up solid for about 30 seconds at a time every few minutes. Don't check the temperature probe; open the case and touch the top of the card just above the GPU. His was so hot you couldn't keep your hand on it; see if yours is doing something similar. The fact that leaving it alone for a while and coming back seemed to "fix" it in your case makes temps even more suspect.

I slapped a vf900-cu on my identical card and haven't had a single problem, and it's much quieter even on full blast than the stock cooler ever was.

i found that in another post and flashed it few mins ago. ill test UT3 again for a while to see if it is stable.

that was the second time it died because of heat. it happened both times when the heat was on in my computer room and it was at least 75F ambient, maybe 80F. So I returned the card for a full $302 refund at Best Buy. I bought it in November but i was in the "gift returns" timeframe so I got lucky. I bought a 8400GS just so I can use my PC while I decide my next purchase. I didnt want to keep a card that would overheat all the time. I could have added an aftermarket cooler, but screw that. I've never "had" to use an aftermarket cooler on any other card before.

Problem is there's not much choice right now.. 8800gts 640mb maybe.. or i might jump to the 3870 ATI stuff for a while, and try some crossfire. Course I'd have to buy a new motherboard too..

to be honest ive been looking for an excuse to go intel and crossfire for months. i think this is the time. I also read that crossfire is stronger than sli for gains in many places. i might try a nice solid P35 MB, a cheap E6600 for now, then decide what ATI card i want later.

i want intel platform, but im not sure on crossfire vs SLI yet. but i def want an Asus board this time. I have had DFI Lanpartys for my last 2, and im ready to try something new.

ordered an ASUS P5K3 DELUXE which supports DDR3 for future. I dont change my motherboards very often, (maybe once every 2 years), figured might as well add DDR3 support.

ordered the standard E6600 core 2 duo to start with.

I think my normal DDR2 4GB ram will work on this new motherboard too?

I dont like much of ATI's video selection right now, so i might hold off a while to decide on video. Maybe something new will come out soon. I think I can use either Nvidia OR ATI video card on this board. Only drawback is crossfire only, no SLI.

I'll be selling my DFI NF590 MB and AMD 6000+ cpu in a few days, but i usually sell local only.

ordered an ASUS P5K3 DELUXE which supports DDR3 for future. I dont change my motherboards very often, (maybe once every 2 years), figured might as well add DDR3 support.

ordered the standard E6600 core 2 duo to start with.

I think my normal DDR2 4GB ram will work on this new motherboard too?

I dont like much of ATI's video selection right now, so i might hold off a while to decide on video. Maybe something new will come out soon. I think I can use either Nvidia OR ATI video card on this board. Only drawback is crossfire only, no SLI.

I'll be selling my DFI NF590 MB and AMD 6000+ cpu in a few days, but i usually sell local only.

Why would you order a E6600? they just released new faster clocked, faster FSB chips, with more cache, for less price...

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ0MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

65C?

Bull, I played Crysis for 2 Hours when it was 90C fine.

Either the temp is wrong, or you've got a bad card.

i guess the 2.4ghz quad is the way to go then? about $279? ill read up..

hmm i now have ordered the Q6600 quad.. but it seems like the same cache?

L1 Cache 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache 2 x 4MB

damn had the wrong specs...

core 2 duo = L2 Cache 4M shared
quad = L2 Cache 2 x 4MB

I suggest you do a bit of research before plunging into buying something that quickly ;)

It also depends how much you want to "futureproof" and overclock.

Abit IP35 Pro seems to one of the top overclocking motherboards, while the DS3R ($99) and DS3L are cheap and clock good too (Both are P35 boards).

DDR3 support seems pointless since latencies are up and would stay up for a bit, and their price premium along with FSB (800+) is just not needed right now. Also voltage problems from DDR2 + DDR3 boards might cause DDR2 problems.

Quad support doesn't seem like it's coming soon (imo) to many things, and duallies clock higher, but it's your choice, if you need the quad for distributive computing, video editing, or something that can use it go for it. (Be aware the heat/power/lower clock overhead that is has though).

And then you think about the fact E8xxx series is out in some places already (Not US, they are coming soon) and are hitting 4Ghz plus on air... 4Ghz for $200 (E8400) is a nice deal. Not to mention reduced heat/voltage/power draw and improved cache (6MB).

i cancelled my order for the 3rd time.. luckily newegg isn't shipping orders too quick today..

ill think on it this afternoon before i order again.

i cancelled my order for the 3rd time.. luckily newegg isn't shipping orders too quick today..

ill think on it this afternoon before i order again.

Wow dude don't be impatient.. wait a week and look at some reviews that are bound to come out to find the best bang for the buck

I'll probably get that new E8800 thats coming out, i mainly use my PC for games, not too much else. I dont think I really need a quad, i'd do better with a faster dual. But I dont want to buy a motherboard and just have it sit here without a CPU. So I'll just have to wait.

I'll probably get that new E8800 thats coming out, i mainly use my PC for games, not too much else. I dont think I really need a quad, i'd do better with a faster dual. But I dont want to buy a motherboard and just have it sit here without a CPU. So I'll just have to wait.

E8800?

E8400?

If you can hold off, more power to ya.

i can hold off.. hell i dont even max out my AMD 6000+ i dont think... but my last Intel chip was a Pentium 3 550MHz Slot A or something... I want to get back to my roots finally.

Good idea. I'm going to take the same road as you soon with just a faster dual.

I've almost been tempted to buy component by component in the past but it's not a good idea, because of the speed that the industry changes at. 2 weeks from now, something else may come out that you want instead, and you're tied to some component you've already purchased but you're sitting on because you can't use it yet.

well. on the original topic.. i couldn't stand gaming on a 8400GS. It would barely run Counterstrike at 1680x1050 on medium settings. So I returned it to Best Buy and got another 8800GT. What was the point then? Well, I first wanted to make sure I didn't have an unusual dud 8800GT.. you don't see TOO many posts about peoples 8800GT's dying.. Next, there was no other card I was interested in at this time. Nothing in ATI arena I wanted, and wasn't interested in a high priced 8800gtx 768mb.. So I'll use this card for a few months until my Intel upgrade is happening, then I'll get some newer stuff. After returning the 8400GS the 8800GT only cost me $187 anyway.

Best Buy has at least 5-6 8800GT in stock.

Considering that your temps are normal, it could be just a bad card. My XFX OCed on stock cooler idles at 55-58C, and loads at 85C. Played Crysis for hours with no issues at all.

Back