8800GT gettin to hot, Help!

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So i have the setup you can see below my post...and i have had heat issues to begin with. My CPU idling at 40C which im told is high...my 8800GT used to idle at 55C and under load (crysis, COD4) it would hit 60-70. Well now its hotter outside and its idling at 60-65C and underload today of Sims 3, it was 90C. Im wondering how close i am to dangerous heat for my Vid card?

And the main question is, what can i do to cool it down? (As in what cooling options, such as a VGA cooler such as a Accelero S1 Rev 2. http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=105 )

Is that what i want? Please be specific on the products you might recommend.

BTW, i am using my fan ports on my Case, i have the front port sucking air in the case, the side port blowing air in (right onto the cpu) and the back blowing air out. (ThermaFlow case fans)

Also YES i am using Riva tuner so above 60C the vid card fan is at 100%.

Have you cleaned out the video card HSF? Dust may have built up and cause the temps to go higher alongside the higher temps outside.

No i havent, that will help i bet. The only problem with that is the last time i opened my PC to clean it (spray air inside) when i was done, when turning it on, it would bleep once short then 3 long bleeps and wouldnt turn on. It only turned on when laying on its side..iv taken the memeory and VidCard out and back in and it didnt change anything.

The only reason it works now is i got lucky and it turned on.

Long story short, im afraid to move it cause if i do most likely that problem will start again...and it really pissed me off last time.

No i havent, that will help i bet. The only problem with that is the last time i opened my PC to clean it (spray air inside) when i was done, when turning it on, it would bleep once short then 3 long bleeps and wouldnt turn on. It only turned on when laying on its side..iv taken the memeory and VidCard out and back in and it didnt change anything.

The only reason it works now is i got lucky and it turned on.

Long story short, im afraid to move it cause if i do most likely that problem will start again...and it really pissed me off last time.

Okay....let's not be afraid of the PC. You have the power of the almighty CMOS reset! (j/k)

Clean your PC out first... eally spray/clean your VGA HSF, CPU HSF, intake/exhaust fans, etc....Are you sure you have VGA the fan set to 100% when it's at 90C? Or do you set it to 100% after you notice the high temps and then raise the RPM's to compensate? Use Precision Tool to adjust it before game, and make sure the settings were properly applied (sometimes they don't stick).

Maybe line ripple from your power supply is causing hardware to heat up more than usual. What is the ambient temperature inside your case? Take a thermometer and put it inside the case with the side panel closed and check after doing some intensive tasks.

So i have the setup you can see below my post...and i have had heat issues to begin with. My CPU idling at 40C which im told is high...my 8800GT used to idle at 55C and under load (crysis, COD4) it would hit 60-70. Well now its hotter outside and its idling at 60-65C and underload today of Sims 3, it was 90C. Im wondering how close i am to dangerous heat for my Vid card?

And the main question is, what can i do to cool it down? (As in what cooling options, such as a VGA cooler such as a Accelero S1 Rev 2. http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_&mID=105 )

Is that what i want? Please be specific on the products you might recommend.

BTW, i am using my fan ports on my Case, i have the front port sucking air in the case, the side port blowing air in (right onto the cpu) and the back blowing air out. (ThermaFlow case fans)

Also YES i am using Riva tuner so above 60C the vid card fan is at 100%.

If your cpu is stock and idles at 40C it's a concern but not a serious problem. The Accelero S1 rev2 is wonderful on these cards. I have a 9800gt(re-branded 8800gt) and it would idle 58C-62C/ load 80C during the winter. I replaced the stock cooler with the accelero and passive it runs idle 40C-42C/ load 55C-60C.

Yeah i have it set up with rivatuner so it automatically goes to 100% when above 60C. And i know for a fact it works that way (i have played and tested it out)
Yeah i know i need to spray everything out pretty well, its just the lack of anyone knowing a solution to my 1 beep 3 beeps problem that worries me. If i mess with my computer im fairly positive it will have that problem again, and last time i posted asking for help no one responded with anything besides "take out ram and put it back in" which didnt do anything.
Ok so the Accelero S1 rev2 is the way to go? Thanks

Btw to reply about my PSU cable possibilities, i dont know what line ripple is, but i know i have a great PSU and the cables are insulated very hardcore. (if that helps...idk)

Sometimes the air from compressed air cans is so cold that it can condense on mb or other parts if it is warm out. Try to let everything air dry before you try to fire the system back up. I'm not sure if that was your problem but it something to think about.

Its not normal for you to experiece the problematic starting just because your opened your case and blew some air out unless you had metal shavings all inside your case. Does your bios have chassis intrusion detect?

The compressed air can idea could have been possible except how the computer turned on perfectly when i had it laying on its side..but once i stood it up it would do the beeping. Then id sit it back on my lap, hit the reset and it would turn on, and i did that like 5 times...

Cleaned it out and it idles at 59C instead of 65C so thats a improvement. I still think i need to get the Accelero, does anyone have one here? How hard was the size to deal with and the installation?

Btw i figured out my beeping problem, my RAM wasnt all the way in its slots and locked it. After a while of cleaning i figured that out. Thanks guys

The accelero adds about 1 1/2 inches in height to the card. Will fit in most mid sized atx cases. Installation isn't difficult. Make sure you clean off the ram, vrm, and gpu completely before you install. The ram and vrm sinks stick very well if you follow the directions.

If you're not seeing artifacts or having any other problems, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The 8800 series cards run rather hot. My 8800GTX is around 94C under load.

Yeah iv heard they run hot, i just would rather be on the safe side..keep it cool so i can use it for as long as possible. 25 bucks to keep it at 60C under load is worth it to me.

When you say clean off the ram, vrm (not sure what that stands for sorry) and gpu...im not totally sure what you mean. Are you saying clean them just in general before i install the Accelero? Cause i thought the only thing the accelero attactes to is the Vid card.
Sorry to ask Noobish questions

I wouldn't worry about 90c load temps. mine rocks out at about 105-110c (yes it's clean) all the time and can stay there for hours and not have one problem.

I wouldn't worry about 90c load temps. mine rocks out at about 105-110c (yes it's clean) all the time and can stay there for hours and not have one problem.

My mine was 120s, it seems it shuts down at 125. I RMAd the card and everything is fine now.

Yeah i know i need to spray everything out pretty well, its just the lack of anyone knowing a solution to my 1 beep 3 beeps problem that worries me. If i mess with my computer im fairly positive it will have that problem again, and last time i posted asking for help no one responded with anything besides "take out ram and put it back in" which didnt do anything.

Btw i figured out my beeping problem, my RAM wasnt all the way in its slots and locked it. After a while of cleaning i figured that out. Thanks guys

LMAO

I have two 8800GT Superclocked and they were running sometimes around 105-110C cause my apartment only has windows a/c units so the room itself was about 84F. I did buy the S1 and the installation was easy just make sure that the GPU is REALLY clean before you mount S1. However, now with my room hovering around the 80s now it doesn't go above 65C which it use to idle there now idle is low 40s.

I say the 40 bucks for these two is great buy! :D

Back