8800gt - Card Kaput?

Oh4Sh0

2[H]4U
So I got home from work yesterday and started up my desktop machine.. Loading into Vista I am greeted by a 1024x768 screen that is normally 1920x1200. Looking at my display preferences, there is suddenly no video driver installed. I didn't make any changes recently.. So I uninstalled the current "nvidia video driver", and downloaded the latest one. After the necessary reboot, I am greeted with a "No Signal" response when Vista loads (I hear it actually loading, but no video output).

I then boot into safe mode, remove the installed driver, and try again with several older drivers. If I leave the driver uninstalled, I can boot fine, and Vista installs a generic driver. However after installing any nvidia drivers that I have used previously or newer ones (I also tried the one "Windows Update" recommended), I am greeted by the No Signal screen upon loading the OS each time. I

Does this mean that the card is now damaged and cannot accept/handle the driver settings?

I have a older lcd 19" monitor that I use as a spare. it has a native resolution of 1280x1024 but for some reason is stuck at 1024x786. I have tried everything, I know it is a vista conflict with the monitor not the gpu. I can work around it by uninstalling the windows monitor driver in device manager, turning off the pc then unplugging the monitor from the wall. boot up wait until I know windows is completely loaded and then plug it back into the wall. when the image comes back it is set to the native resolution. It is a pain but until I find something to fix it or buy another backup it is all there is.

Sounds bad to me, if it were in a PC I was working on or in my own I would be replacing it.

That's weird.. my monitor/gpu combo has worked with vista since I've bought them ~8 mo or so ago. Gonna try switching DVI ports as well as a few other things tonight.

Googled this and it seems like many people have had this problem - and really I haven't seen a solution. The monitor is detected as a Generic Non-Pnp monitor. If you unplug it and plug it back in, it'll be detected, but the max resolution will be 1024x768.

The only solution I've found is to use a DVI-VGA adapter and then run VGA to your monitor.

This happened to me and I had tried different video cards and had no luck. What I did is exactly the solution you mentioned, my monitor worked fine through vga, but not through DVI. Its an excuse for me to buy a new monitor "just to test it out" :D

Back