8800 Series price drops?

Firelord

Limp Gawd
Hello Gents,

I am in the market for a new graphics card shortly to replace my trusty 7900GT once crysis is released and MOH:A and for Vista/DX10.

Now I am only gaming at 1400x900 (at the moment) but do love my eye candy being turned up but a major requirement for me is that it lasts for 2-3 years as my gf and I are getting married shortly and having some work done to our house so its going to need to last me.

I was thinking of either a 640MB 8800GTS or 8800GTX if the prices are right. I can get an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB for £235 or an 8800GTX for £291 (with 1yr warranty.) Ideally I would like an extended warranty if I am keeping it for that long.

Are the 8800 Series due a price drop any time soon as in reality I would buy a 8800GTS once they fall below £200 or if I could get a GTX for £250 or under. Will this happen once the new stuff is released? I would like to try and get this sorted before christmas if possible.

Would the AMD 2900XT be a better bet perhaps? I don't think we will see a price drop any time soon however with them being released not that long ago. I would only really be able to afford the 512MB card. My thinking is that, that might not be enough in a year or two to come.

Thanks

The net rumor mill is convinced nVidia will be releasing a refresh of it's product line in some form (may or may not include a top level card) next month. Assuming something is released it will probably push existing card prices downward.

Some form of high end (along with some crap mid-range stuff) will arrive next month according to some of those "in the know." ES's are in the hands of one member of XS already, though he's under NDA so he can't reveal much.

So within the next month or so you should see some reductions in price on the current 8XXX models.

I was thinking of either a 640MB 8800GTS or 8800GTX if the prices are right. I can get an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB for £235 or an 8800GTX for £291 (with 1yr warranty.) Ideally I would like an extended warranty if I am keeping it for that long.

Where can you get the GTX for that price?

Hello Gents,

I am in the market for a new graphics card shortly to replace my trusty 7900GT once crysis is released and MOH:A and for Vista/DX10.

Now I am only gaming at 1400x900 (at the moment) but do love my eye candy being turned up but a major requirement for me is that it lasts for 2-3 years as my gf and I are getting married shortly and having some work done to our house so its going to need to last me.

Are the 8800 Series due a price drop any time soon as in reality I would buy a 8800GTS once they fall below £200 or if I could get a GTX for £250 or under. Will this happen once the new stuff is released? I would like to try and get this sorted before christmas if possible.

Would the AMD 2900XT be a better bet perhaps? I don't think we will see a price drop any time soon however with them being released not that long ago. I would only really be able to afford the 512MB card. My thinking is that, that might not be enough in a year or two to come.

Thanks

Get the 8800 GTS 640 or 8800 GTX. The GTS 640 is more than enough for any current and near future titles, at that res. However, the GTX is a powerhouse and will last you longer.
A price drop should happen, as soon as new high-end cards are released, which, according to rumors, should happen in November. Some speculate that it will not happen, because NVIDIA will only release a mid-range card, that will fill the gap between the 8800 GTS 320 and the 8600 GTS, however and as I've said before, it's no coincidence that Crysis is due out in November and NVIDIA is set to launch cards by that time too.

As for the HD 2900 XT, the 512 MB model, even though not as good as a 8800 GTS 640 or especially a GTX, is the only one worth buying, since the 1 GB model brings virtually no performance advantage, while costing $100 more than its 512 MB "brother".

Thanks to all who have commented.

I think I will go for the 640MB GTS but if I can I will stretch to a GTX. I can hold out for a while as I am in no hurry and would rather wait and get that card that'll last me longer than to rush and get the wrong product. My 7900GT is doing okish at the mo but things like R6:LV are really pushing what it can do at the quality I like.

As for the GTX @ £291 check here ----> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=611289

Geeze mate, if I have managed to cope with a 6800GT on a shitty P4 3.2ghz for a year longer than I wanted I am sure you can cope for another 2 months until the new cards are released

Geeze mate, if I have managed to cope with a 6800GT on a shitty P4 3.2ghz for a year longer than I wanted I am sure you can cope for another 2 months until the new cards are released

Thank you for your helpful comment :rolleyes: as I have already stated I am fine in waiting and would rather wait than to rush and get the wrong thing.

At no point did I say that I must rush out and get the card. I can cope quite happily.

Everyone else has been helpful but you sir have just made a pointless post that was not required.

Thank you for your helpful comment :rolleyes: as I have already stated I am fine in waiting and would rather wait than to rush and get the wrong thing.

At no point did I say that I must rush out and get the card. I can cope quite happily.

Everyone else has been helpful but you sir have just made a pointless post that was not required.

Welcome to the internet, I am sure you will get used to it eventually

I'd go with the GTX, it's pretty much dominating the current titles right now.

Some will tell you to wait for whatever reason, others will say go for it now. Do what you want. I think we should just nominate Silus as the go-to-boy for all things G9x. Have everyone pm him instead of making old threads :p... serisously.

OP: I would wait for the new offerings from nVidia before purchasing anything.

QFT

If it's possible to wait, it would make sense. As far as anyone can tell, the next refresh will be available mid-November (which is less than two months away); in my opinion if you purchased now, you would be disappointed in less than two months when both prices drop and faster cards are made available.

Otherwise, if you can't wait, then I'd just go for the highest level 8-series you can afford. It's hard to go wrong!

I think I am going to sit on this for a bit and wait for the prices to drop really. If I can get the 8800GTX in say 2-3 months for the price I can get a GTS for now I may as well wait. I have my car insurance to pay off and stuff at the mo anyway.

Thanks for the tips guys :) Roll on the 25th Sept for the Crysis Demo :)

Expect a price drop around November-December. The amount dropped depends on what the 'secret' new nvidia card is and the demand for it. I am eagerly waiting to buy a new card its just a matter of when's the best time to get one.

Wow you're retarded.

OP: I would wait for the new offerings from nVidia before purchasing anything.

Yep. Retarded.

But I did laugh.

New cards including high end coming in November is my belief. Prices already dropping every week. Too many mir's though. Death to the mir.

Back