8800 GTX failing; what to replace it with?

Pegi

Limp Gawd
Have a 2-part question and would sure appreciate some help.

1. I think my 2-year-old 8800 is failing. I've noticed occasional graphical anomalies in LOTRO here and there but attributed it to their server (which has had problems lately). After 2 solid months of daily playing, though, I can no longer play. It loads up for a few seconds before freezing and then degenerating into crazy colors. Have to reboot out of it. Loaded up Guild Wars and that will do the same thing; it's not just the LOTRO server. I can however surf the net just fine. Just games are failing. Have tried different drivers with no help (this is winXP). I had had SP3 installed for a few weeks with no problems, but on the offchance that was the culprit I uninstalled that. Still no change. I've used compressed air to blow away all dust and heat is not an issue. Nvidia monitor is showing low 70s when this happens. If a video card is failing, would it only fail in games?

2. If I replace it, much as I'd like a 280, I understand it requires a 6 pin and an 8 pin connector. I have an Enermax Galaxy (1000), which I believe only has two 6 pin connectors. Does a 260 have two 6 pin connectors? Would that be better than my 8800?

Yes, the GTX 260 has two six pins and no eight pins. And it should be way better then your 8800 card.

+1 to the 260. It can perform @ least 33% better than most single 8/9 series cards(GX2 excluded). (1/3 faster is a low #, just to say it safe).

Someone mentioned to me that I could use an adaptor (which I believe comes with the evga 280) so that I could use the 280 with my existing 6-pin Galaxy but I think I read somewhere that that's supposed to be a "temporary" solution. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Someone mentioned to me that I could use an adaptor (which I believe comes with the evga 280) so that I could use the 280 with my existing 6-pin Galaxy but I think I read somewhere that that's supposed to be a "temporary" solution. Anyone have any feedback on this?

Not sure about that, only the 9800 GX2 has a problem like that with there eight pin(alot cant fit in it so you need to find a compatible PSU or a adapter) But the GTX 280 should be fine.

AFAIK, there are dual-4-pin molex to 8-pin-pciE adapters (Idk, but this could come w/ the GTX260/280 card). Bingo: http://www.cwc-group.com/4posuto8atxm.html

yhst-90432262887525_2013_70499307

I found this: 6-Pin pcie to 8-Pin pcie 2.0 Adapter Cable: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=21721

PCIE6-PCIE8_01.jpg

Appreciate the research. I've done some googling and seems that folks say using the adaptor might underpower the card and/or cause instability issues. Just feel a little leery about it. Guess I'll stick with the 260 for now and play it safe.

Back