8800 GTX and eVGA 680i problem

decapitator said:
I always install one card first load the drivers and then install the second one and load the drivers, I don't know where I got that from but it was said on new install never install both cards at once :p

That is s caca mainy idea if I ever heard one!!! LOL, I always install the drivers for all my cards once, never heard about this (unless you have a Nvidia and ATI cards in the same PC, which I have never seen), you are just writing over the drivers when you install the drivers the second time. It is just a waste of time doing it your way, but to each his own!!!!! :)

masaville said:
Weird problem with my system. When I ran 3dmark 06 the first time I got a score of 10300 on a single card. When I upgraded to SLI I scored 12700. Recently, I noticed system performance, particularly graphics, was 'questionable' and when I ran 3dmark06 in SLI I got about 5300.

I tried setting the BIOS values to the default and removed and re-installed the original nvidia drivers (problem happened on both versions). I also tried swapping the cards, running one card at a time, and running in SLI. Voltages seem consistent and when I ran a single card I tried swapping the pci-e power connectors to the other set (power supply has 4).

I can't figure out what's wrong, but performance isn't on par with what it should be. Anyone have any ideas? Also, if anyone has an evga 680i board can you tell me what your on-board motherboard LED displays after you boot into windows.

Thanks!

Hello, I have got exactly the same issue. Same config with an Hiper 750w PSU.

masaville, have you got any solution? I am thinking to raise a RMA for the mobo.

Have a nice day.

Hey, long time lurker here...

I had the exact same problem, after a day of perfect performance - framerates dropped. Framerates at the beginning of the first test of 3DMark06 are a good indication. When everything's functioning correctly, it starts at 70+ fps; in the other case, they'll drop to 15 or so.

I uninstalled the chipset drivers, video drivers, and ntune, and restarted. I then reinstalled the chipset drivers and nTune (off the EVGA CD - I think, but I'm not sure, that the issue had to do with me installing the new nForce drivers from NVidia.com, as that's about when this happened), restarted, and installed the Forceware drivers, and everything worked. I also updated nTune to the latest version available from NVidia.com, and everything still works.

As others have said, it seems to have to do with the card being run at lower frequency settings and not speeding up when rendering 3D images; I highly doubt that the issues you guys are having are hardware related, considering how close our numbers are. Therefore I recommend you do what I did, and see if that helps, before sending anything back.

Just for the record I've noticed similar performance behaviour on my DFI board. When i first set it up (after a fresh windows install, and with the geforce drivers off the evga cd because 97.02 doesn't work properly with my second monitor) it was running beautifully. Then the next day, having changed nothing at all, it suddenly seemed no faster than my 7900. I'll definitely be trying a drivercleaner/driver reinstall tonight. I'm on a 750W psu but not SLI, so power shouldn't be an issue.

Had this exact problem too. Reformatting the hard drive and a fresh install of everything fixed it (though, I had done that from the beginning, so who knows what "triggered" this problem).

On a possibly (but probably not) related note. . . my 8800gtxes have recently been diagnosed as having the bad resistor. Somehow, they slipped through the pre-launch recall.

Hurin said:
Had this exact problem too. Reformatting the hard drive and a fresh install of everything fixed it (though, I had done that from the beginning, so who knows what "triggered" this problem).

On a possibly (but probably not) related note. . . my 8800gtxes have recently been diagnosed as having the bad resistor. Somehow, they slipped through the pre-launch recall.

I think that with 750w PSU SLI system is working borderline and when GPUs are asking for more power than this the problem is "triggered".

decapitator said:
I always install one card first load the drivers and then install the second one and load the drivers, I don't know where I got that from but it was said on new install never install both cards at once :p

That's BS. I've installed machines with both cards configured for SLi on multiple machines since SLi came out with NO problems.

AMD_Gamer said:
FF is normal it should always say that i remember back in the day on the old epox boards it was "FUCKING FINE" LOL
HAHA! Man you just brought back memories! The FF on those Epox's had some many names:
- Fatal Failure
- Fully Fucked
- Fucking Fantastic

LOL! Whew... I needed that laugh tonight. Now OT... I agree with what NYHoustonman as that solved 99% of my issues as well.

~Aux

Ecano_X said:
I think that with 750w PSU SLI system is working borderline and when GPUs are asking for more power than this the problem is "triggered".
Uh, no. I'll take jonnyguru's recommendation over random internet speculation any day. :D

This paranoia over 8800 power consumption has really gotten out of hand.

Ecano_X said:
What I doubt is if this is the "Trigger". That 8800GTX SLI / 750 PSU is working borderline is a fact.
Really? "Fact" eh? I'd like "documentation" of your "facts" beyond nvidia's padded recommendation.

Here's a fact from [H]'s Kyle himself:

I am stress testing the Striker right now. It is pulling over 500 watts with SLI 8800GTX and 6800 all at stock clocks when running 3D.
That's a 680i motherboard with a high-end CPU and SLi 8800gtxes going balls to the wall. . and it's only around 500W.

My friend, you're talking out of your ass. . . so I'll just say again: This 8800 power paranoia has gotten out of hand. There were people claming you'd need 700W for one 8800. . . or that the card alone was going to require 450W. Unfortunately, these sorts of ridiculous numbers have trickled into people's consciousness since those rumors started a month or two ago. . . and now there's just no reasoning with people even when they're confronted with cold hard figures..

Again, I'd suggest you go peruse jonnyguru.com. He actually knows what he's talking about rather than just going with guesses and internet babble.

Hurin said:
Really? "Fact" eh? I'd like "documentation" of your "facts" beyond nvidia's padded recommendation.

That's a 680i motherboard with a high-end CPU and SLi 8800gtxes going balls to the wall. . and it's only around 500W.

My friend, you're talking out of your ass. . . so I'll just say again: This 8800 power paranoia has gotten out of hand. There were people claming you'd need 700W for one 8800. . . or that the card alone was going to require 450W. Unfortunately, these sorts of ridiculous numbers have trickled into people's consciousness since those rumors started a month or two ago. . . and now there's just no reasoning with people even when they're confronted with cold hard figures..

Again, I'd suggest you go peruse jonnyguru.com. He actually knows what he's talking about rather than just going with guesses and internet babble.

The performance of this PSU is 80% aprox., real power 600 wats.
With 6 funs, 4 hard drives and the two 8800GTX mi rig has 3.1A.
3.1Ax220V= 682W -> PSU is working borderline. It is not neccesary anuy review, this is electricity basics, my friend.

I ran 8800GTX SLI oc'd to 670 core 1030 memory, [email protected] 1.75Vcore and almost all voltage maxed in bios. I only hooked up 1 hd as a peripheral and thats it. On load my Zippy 850W psu 12V line drop to 11.95V (which is never happened before).
I don't want to push my luck with adding more load to it.

Anyway... after a driver re-installation (video, not motherboard) I'm back at 100%. For now, at least. I've also found that it cured the in-game graphical glitches (common stuff like random objects flashing for a frame every so often) that I was getting, so that's a bonus.

Ecano_X said:
3.1Ax220V= 682W -> PSU is working borderline. It is not neccesary anuy review, this is electricity basics, my friend.
You need to figure out the usage of each component in amps and then multiply that by its rail voltage. What you've got above is indecipherable and not terribly useful. I'm beginning to think there's a language barrier here.

Hurin said:
You need to figure out the usage of each component in amps and then multiply that by its rail voltage. What you've got above is indecipherable and not terribly useful. I'm beginning to think there's a language barrier here.

This is very ridiculous, we are here to try help each other, most of us are non English and try to do the best than we can.
By the way, I have assemble a Tagan 1100w and the problem dissapear, 16000 3DMark06.

Have a nice day.

Ecano_X said:
Hello, I have got exactly the same issue. Same config with an Hiper 750w PSU.

masaville, have you got any solution? I am thinking to raise a RMA for the mobo.

Have a nice day.

I had some problem with FEAR especially on my 680i quad sli setup were performance tanked for some crazy reason, one thing I am using multiple logitech mice - Logitech MX1000, MX Revolution, and Dinovo mutimedia keyboard & mouse bluetooth combo. Someone on logitech's website suggested disabling all the HID compliant devices in the devide manager, this does not disable the mouse or keyboards at all and after doing this on my system I get consistent frame rates at 1920 x 1600 all eye candy settings maxxed out 64 min, 105 average, and 320 max.
Good Luck Guys!!!! :p :cool:

jgdiaz said:
I had some problem with FEAR especially on my 680i quad sli setup were performance tanked for some crazy reason, one thing I am using multiple logitech mice - Logitech MX1000, MX Revolution, and Dinovo mutimedia keyboard & mouse bluetooth combo. Someone on logitech's website suggested disabling all the HID compliant devices in the devide manager, this does not disable the mouse or keyboards at all and after doing this on my system I get consistent frame rates at 1920 x 1600 all eye candy settings maxxed out 64 min, 105 average, and 320 max.
Good Luck Guys!!!! :p :cool:

Yeah there seems to be a problem with the logitech wireless mice so far. Thank god for wired :D

Hurin said:

No way you are going to power off a 500w psu...

You know how I know? I tried 4 500w psu's... no go.

Ockie said:
No way you are going to power off a 500w psu...

You know how I know? I tried 4 500w psu's... no go.
Nobody was recommending 500W psu for 8800gtx SLi. Rather, that quote was being used to demonstrate that a quality 750w psu is by no means operating at "borderline" as another poster was asserting.

Ecano_X said:
This is very ridiculous, we are here to try help each other,
You're right. What you were asserting was ridiculous. :D

most of us are non English and try to do the best than we can.
While I doubt that "most" [H] people are non-English speakers, there were no aspersions cast on those who do not speak english as their first language. Rather, I said that I merely suspect that we were having difficulty communicating.

By the way, I have assemble a Tagan 1100w and the problem dissapear, 16000 3DMark06.
That's nice. Others have gotten it to go away without changing their psu. And some have seen the problem with beefy power supplies from the beginning. So that doesn't really demonstrate anything.

computerpro3 said:
I'll bet you $100 a pcp&c 510 SLI could run it.

With SLi it's pushing it. If you ran a lean system with one hard drive and one optical drive, you might be able to pull it off, though you'd still be pushing that PC Power & Cooling 510SLi to it's limits. I don't think it would last too long like that.

Dan_D said:
With SLi it's pushing it. If you ran a lean system with one hard drive and one optical drive, you might be able to pull it off, though you'd still be pushing that PC Power & Cooling 510SLi to it's limits. I don't think it would last too long like that.
QFT:)

Heres Zippy 850W idle in windows with X6800, 2X8800GTX, 1 HD + 1 DVD drive stock setting and high quality on 3D settings....

screenshot167hu0.jpg

Heres at peak load 3D'06 test....

screenshot168xv7.jpg

It will drop more if I overclocked cpu/vid card and add more peripherals

centvalny said:
QFT:)

Heres Zippy 850W idle in windows with X6800, 2X8800GTX, 1 HD + 1 DVD drive stock setting and high quality on 3D settings....

screenshot167hu0.jpg

Heres at peak load 3D'06 test....

screenshot68xv7.jpg

It will drop more if I overclocked cpu/vid card and add more peripherals

That's unreal....I've never seen a zippy droop before. I was planning on using my zippy 700 with quad core and 8800gtx sli pushing 2x raptor 150's and 3 wd 500gb's with around 4gb of ram. Wonder if this will finally push it over the edge.

I still think a pcp&c 510 could run 8800gtx sli with a core 2 duo. I've been running a system in excess of 500w from the wall on one for over a year.

FX-60 @ 3.0ghz 1.525
4GB Mushkin XP4000 Redline @ 3.6v 260+mhz
DFI SLI-DR Expert
4x Raptor 150GB's Raid 0
12x Seagate 750GB's (some in external usb enclosure)
PCI Raid Card
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
2x Plextor DVD Burners
2x 7800GTX 512mb XFX XXX overclocked and vmodded
4x 120mm fans
2x 80mm fans
7.5in LCD touch screen

I'm not going to lie though, the thing is hot and the fan is always on full blast. I'm really doing this because I want to see how far the thing can go. That particular 510 is over 3 years old now and has been with me from back in teh 2.4C days. I just want to see how far it can really go before it dies. So far it's exceeded all expectations.

This thing is an engineering marvel; how many other brands can be over three years old and still put out 20% over their rated wattage 24/7 365 (it's in an office at work) running at 50C the entire time? Not many.

I'll try it with mine aroudn janurary when I get my 8800gtx/quad setup. I just ordered the kentsfield qx6700, only things left are the video cards.

There a few of good deals for Zippy 850W around the net.

My solution for overclocked 8800GTX SLI and (probly) Quadcore cpu is a stack of these 850W bricks....

screenshot169rd5.jpg

centvalny said:
There a few of good deals for Zippy 850W around the net.

My solution for overclocked 8800GTX SLI and (probly) Quadcore cpu is a stack of these 850W bricks....

screenshot169rd5.jpg

That'll do it...probably ;)

I have to run dual PC Power & Cooling 1Kilowatt SR's on my rig to be stable with watercooling, and my overclocked Quad Core. The draw is rediculous.

AppaYipYip said:
I have to run dual PC Power & Cooling 1Kilowatt SR's on my rig to be stable with watercooling, and my overclocked Quad Core. The draw is rediculous.

Something's wrong. Many people have more power hungry rigs than you over on xtreme and they run them off 700w-800w.

computerpro3 said:
Something's wrong. Many people have more power hungry rigs than you over on xtreme and they run them off 700w-800w.

It's called sarcasm. Maybe I should have put a few :p :p :eek:

e6700, evga 680i, 2x evga 8800gtx, 850w silverstone -

initial install
3dmark06 -13k sli'd with cd drivers

exact same issue with 'safe mode', 25 % whatever problem after 24 hrs system on.
3dmark06-4500! omgwtf
fixed by removing ALL evga drivers for mobo and display and ntune and update, flash bios to newest, install newest display 97.02, mobo 680i ?, and ntune from nvidia/evga site
now 3dmark06 - 13100, stock sli'd

do not rma cause of that, now 2 weeks out no recurrance of 'issue'

air cooling with schythe infinity(2x120mm) and 5x80mm case fan

any ideas on how far i could get oc'ing e6700 with this air cool setup?

Some reports are in that the newest leaked drivers fix the "slow down" issue.

Which, of course, would make it very unlikely to be power-related. :D

Several people on the game boards I frequent have been reporting this issue with 8800GTX's in SLI. Generally a driver re-install has fixed it for a single run, then it comes back again. This obviously points to a driver issue. Given that the latest leaked drivers seem to fix it, it's more than likely definitely a driver a issue.

Ecano_X said:
Trouble is you have that "arse about face" i.e. backwards.

If the PSU supplies 750W useful power output it will consume at an 80% effiency.

750/0.8 = 937w.

If your PSU is using 3.1A @ 220 VAC or 682W then:

Total power input (used at socket) x Efficiency = Power Output (available to components)

682 x 0.8 = 545W or 45.4A

Which is a lot, but well within a reasonable 750W PSU rating. Especially considering something like a Hiper 730W can supply 56A/672W at 12V excluding 3.3V/5V rails.

Electricity very basics :D

I found out that the problem in my rig that nTune would constantly would underclock the GPU for god knows what reason... So I installed some older drivers (w/coolbits) and viola! PROBLEM SOLVED! NTUNE SUCKS! So my dual 8800GTX's stay OC'ed when I reboot and perform 3dmark

pcfan10110 said:
I found out that the problem in my rig that nTune would constantly would underclock the GPU for god knows what reason... So I installed some older drivers (w/coolbits) and viola! PROBLEM SOLVED! NTUNE SUCKS! So my dual 8800GTX's stay OC'ed when I reboot and perform 3dmark

Which drivers are you using?

Hey Dan_D, have you tried the 97.28 drivers (leaked yesterday) and the new eVGA BIOS P21 (released today). Between the two of them, some are reporting that the "slow down" and sound problems are fixed.

Would love to test them myself! Here's hoping UPS is on the ball this week!

Hurin said:
Hey Dan_D, have you tried the 97.28 drivers (leaked yesterday) and the new eVGA BIOS P21 (released today). Between the two of them, some are reporting that the "slow down" and sound problems are fixed.

Would love to test them myself! Here's hoping UPS is on the ball this week!

WHAT!?! WHERE??!!! :eek:

whoa.. I didn't think to try earlier rev drivers.. nice find.

Back