8800 GTS 512MB (G92) Too Hot?

Karant

Gawd
I had been playing the latest updated version (.0006) of STALKER today on my newly installed BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB OC and Thermalright HR-03 GT, and suddenly the game paused and the screen had filled up with green artifacts. My GPU idles at 54 degree's celsius, and I've seen it reach 80 degree's celsius. Is this too hot for the G92 cards? What could possibly explain why STALKER royally fucked up on me? I forgot to quick-save too. :mad:

I have, a 92MM Scythe. But by the way I have it mounted I suppose it's not very effective... :(

The HR-03 GT it's one of the best cooler available for your card, your idle temps should be lower than 56*C (my reference 8800GT rev.1 cooler does that temp on idle :p ).
Probably you didn't mounted properly that HR-03, please re-check the thermal paste and fastenings. If you can, grab AC MX-2 thermal paste, it's non conductive and a little better than AS5 (I tried both of them on CPU cooling) ;)
The artifacts maybe are caused by too high memory frequency or a defective card.
The GPU at 80*C can still operate in good conditions, but like I said that temp is too high with custom cooling.

How are you checking the temps? Playing the game then exiting and checking ain't going to give you an accurate reading - temps will drop significantly pretty quickly. If you haven't done so, try using Riva Tuner, and using the monitoring window & enable logging..You may have an overheating card and not know it. The easiest explanation would be a badly mounted cooler. I trust you kept the stock cooler, and if so have you tried remounting it to see if that works right (assuming remounting the HR03 doesn't help)?

Assuming I'm off base on that though, 80c is NOT bad at all for a GTS, the throttle temps are 100c according to a RivaTuner BIOS report on my EVGA card. In that case, you may just have a bum card if it's acting up @ that low of temp levels. I don't think it's a power issue, you have a more than decent PSU, and it should have no issue w/ your sig'd stuff. Have you tried cleaning out drivers and reinstalling and the other usual crap?

Just rearranged some chords/fans/etc. including flipping the HR-03 GT upside down now all my temperatures are much lower. My 8800 GTS 512MB G92 is now idling at 37 degree's. Thanks for all the help!

Just rearranged some chords/fans/etc. including flipping the HR-03 GT upside down now all my temperatures are much lower. My 8800 GTS 512MB G92 is now idling at 37 degree's. Thanks for all the help!

That sounds much more like the temp you should be expecting from the HR-03.

how so you get that hot with a $50 cooler? I seldom go over 60c and thats when my room is HOT and with 800/2000/1100 overclock on stock cooler....

how so you get that hot with a $50 cooler? I seldom go over 60c and thats when my room is HOT and with 800/2000/1100 overclock on stock cooler....
The way I had it positioned with my TRUE 120 (almost right against) as they are both fucking huge, was ineffective for cooling.

Back